Seemingly never ending Iowa MBB thread (still going.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I think we are good, I dont think we are "great". I think Iowa is average, so that should put an end to any speculation on where I stand.

So we lost to an average Texas team, not a pathetic one. Got it. You can probably go back and edit those posts to replace pathetic to average

Reactions: isutrevman

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I'll just say this then Im done commenting on this. We just lost to ***** Texas, withouth their best player, in a ***** morgue made up of some cheerleaders, families and friends of players, because our guys quote-unquote werent ready to play.

Texas is ranked 131 in the RPI. Thats really really bad any way you spin it, in fact, thats 8 spots higher than powerhouses like Rutgers and a depleted UNI team.

I looked at this thread this morning wanting to see what people were saying about the ridiculous jump ball at the end only to find the usual suspects puffing out their chest on here that we are so much greater than Iowa. I dont really think we have alot of room to be bragging right now, but thats just my opinion.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
So we lost to an average Texas team, not a pathetic one. Got it. You can probably go back and edit those posts to replace pathetic to average

Dude, Im done, I thought you were an RPI expert???? 131 isnt god awful??? Thats the most pathetic loss in recent memory for one of our teams.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'll just say this then Im done commenting on this. We just lost to ***** Texas, withouth their best player, in a ***** morgue made up of some cheerleaders, families and friends of players, because our guys quote-unquote werent ready to play.

Texas is ranked 131 in the RPI. Thats really really bad any way you spin it, in fact, thats 8 spots higher than powerhouses like Rutgers and a depleted UNI team.

I looked at this thread this morning wanting to see what people were saying about the ridiculous jump ball at the end only to find the usual suspects puffing out their chest on here that we are so much greater than Iowa. I dont really think we have alot of room to be bragging right now, but thats just my opinion.

Texas is average according to you by most metrics. Don't be so mad about a road loss to an average team

• Winner

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

131 man, thats 32 spots lower than Iowa even. So you dont think Iowa is any better than Texas but you are always the one pulling out RPI numbers. So based on those numbers since we are ranked 40th you think we are better than Arizona and Oregon? They are 30 points higher than us.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

This is how you look right now:

Win at KU = SILENCE

Lose at Texas after just going OT win at PAF = COMES TO TELL US HOW GREAT IOWA IS AND HOW BAD WE ARE

Last edited:
Reactions: CyTwins

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
131 man, thats 32 spots lower than Iowa even. So you dont think Iowa is any better than Texas but you are always the one pulling out RPI numbers. So based on those numbers since we are ranked 40th you think we are better than Arizona and Oregon? They are 30 points higher than us.

I thought you were done? Just can't resist defending your hoks can you?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Posted earlier but even though this is the never ending iowa mens basketball thread, did not referenceIowa in my post. Regarding Iowa, I think that Cook, Pemsl and even the kid from Spirit Lake all have good upsides. I find it surprising that we are lacking talented bigs in our program. It would be great to be able to run high screens and screen and rolls or even play inside out. Also noted that Minn had several serviceable bigs. They can't be that hard to find.
BTW, was Kriener recruited by other schools (Iowa State)?

Our lack of bigs is due to Fred not recruiting his last 2 years. Prohm rolled the dice on Malou and Lard because he really didn't have any other option. Holden and Bowie were both last ditch efforts in a year when the grad transfer market was really soft on post players. It will get better.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I actually like Vegas rankings the most honestly. Sagarin is really solid too. Not a huge fan of KenPom rankings and RPI is a good metric because it matters come Selection Sunday. When you're talking about teams outside the of the NCAA picture like Iowa and Texas is doesn't carry as much weight

• Agree

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

Well your first problem is relying on RPI.

• Winner

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I actually like Vegas rankings the most honestly. Sagarin is really solid too. Not a huge fan of KenPom rankings and RPI is a good metric because it matters come Selection Sunday. When you're talking about teams outside the of the NCAA picture like Iowa and Texas is doesn't carry as much weight

Maybe, maybe not. Ive seen Iowa play a couple teams right in that range this year and they curbstomped the other team in all 3 games.

I'm out on this subject, have a good day.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Maybe, maybe not. Ive seen Iowa play a couple teams right in that range this year and they curbstomped the other team in all 3 games.

I'm out on this subject, have a good day.

At least you changed Texas from pathetic team to an average team before you left

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
You must be forgetting the loss to TT a couples years back. That was a way worse loss than Texas.

I dont know about that. Tech was 11-9 at the time, I dont feel like trying to decipher what their ranking was at the time, but a winning record in the Big 12 should have at least given them a decent RPI when we played them. I would wager money it was better than 131 on the exact date we lost to them.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Saying Minnesota is a bottom feeder(which wasnt you by the way) is alot dumber than any statement I have made this morning. Anybody who says that doesnt know jack about basketball.

The post I was referring to was somebody trying to prove a point that Iowa sucks because they lost to Minnesota. They must have thought it was the Minnesota of the last couple of years instead of the one with Coffey this year.

They are 22nd in the RPI, that would have been our 2nd best win of the entire season.

Minnesota on January 8th is different then the Minnesota on February 9th.

Since January 8th Minnesota's best win was at #52 Illinois. In all fairness they only have 2 wins in that time frame.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I dont know about that. Tech was 11-9 at the time, I dont feel like trying to decipher what their ranking was at the time, but a winning record in the Big 12 should have at least given them a decent RPI when we played them. I would wager money it was better than 131 on the exact date we lost to them.

Tech finished 3-15 in the Big 12 the year they beat us. They were 0-6 in the Big 12 when we played them. They finished the season #185 in the RPI that year

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
giphy.gif

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

Tech was 0-6 in the Big XII when our '14-'15 squad rolled into town and got handled.

Their RPI was 184

Status
Not open for further replies.