Response from Gazette sports editor

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I live in CR and there actually is a decent amount of Cyclone fans here considering our location. The ISU marching band played at Kingston last night and there were at least 30 kids in the band who were from the area. Rockwell keeps quite a few grads in their departments so it isn't like the market is invisible. Got sick of the page 3B garbage and canceled our subscription a long time ago. Their policy is their loss. Still makes me angry though because their online site is just as bad. It is almost like they sit on articles and when ISU does something fantastic they'll post the ISU headline and then unleash the lesser things so the ISU news gets buried. Now if an ISU athlete gets arrested for armed robbery, that'll make the headlines on page one of the Gazette.

Cedar Rapids is the second largest Iowa State alumni base in state. Not too long ago, there were more Iowa State grads in Linn County than Iowa grads. That must have changed in the last year or so, as I saw the Alumni Association was now reporting it as a "black and gold" county as far as alumni are concerned. Its probably close to 50/50 now. The problem is that all non-alumni is probably something like 90/10. If not, worse.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The Ames Trib is functionally a local paper for Iowa State, the same way the CR Gazette is for Iowa. I wouldn't expect the Trib to give much coverage to Iowa, and I wouldn't expect CR to give much to ISU. It's not brain surgery.

The Iowa City Press Citizen may be the equivalent of the Ames Tribune, but a paper in a large city 30 miles from Iowa City is more like the equivalent of the Des Moines Register with Des Moines being 35 miles from Ames.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
The Ames Trib is functionally a local paper for Iowa State, the same way the CR Gazette is for Iowa. I wouldn't expect the Trib to give much coverage to Iowa, and I wouldn't expect CR to give much to ISU. It's not brain surgery.

The Gazette is not Iowa's paper any more than the Register is Iowa State's. The Gazette is the main newspaper in the eastern third of the state geographically. As another poster mentioned, the Ames Tribune is better compared to the Iowa City Press-Citizen.

I appreciated the candor from the Gazette editor in saying that Iowa is their #1 draw and they will continue to focus on it. That would make it easy for me, if I were in the Cedar Rapids area, to choose to not give my money to his business. I wish all business were as forthright in which customers they actively cater to and which they do not.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Somewhat off topic but it looks like Cedar Rapids is SOL for the KU game this weekend. Eastern Iowa doesn't have Fox Sports Net. A couple times, KFXA would televise the game however it appears this weekend KFXA would rather show Nascar truck racing (which as zero interest in Iowa) over ISU.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Somewhat off topic but it looks like Cedar Rapids is SOL for the KU game this weekend. Eastern Iowa doesn't have Fox Sports Net. A couple times, KFXA would televise the game however it appears this weekend KFXA would rather show Nascar truck racing (which as zero interest in Iowa) over ISU.

Sounds like we couldn't advertise for their wave even if we wanted to.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

I imagine some (most?) cable packages have Fox Sports Go access which will have the game.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I can't believe people still read the newspaper. I can't believe in this day and age of newspaper failures that they wouldn't try to increase their viewership. I guess they would prefer their newspaper to die with all the old hok fans

A few years ago the Gazette had some really good coverage on iSu. Then the guy that covered iSu left and nothing.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009

Sounds like we couldn't advertise for their wave even if we wanted to.

I imagine some (most?) cable packages have Fox Sports Go access which will have the game.
Update: it looks like KFXA finally gave in and will be televising the game in eastern Iowa. I bet they really hate to be showing it but probably got forced into it.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Our 'Cyclone fan' Gazette sports editor will tell you it's because Iowa State fans would not spend enough money if a location was established. Double sigh.
Iowa State fans are cheap. Pretty much proven time and time again.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Reality is...if iSu could SUSTAIN a winning program for an extended time period...they would get more coverage. By winning, I mean more than 6-7 wins in football.

More winning = more fan interest= more coverage.

Although if the gazette put iSu on the 4th page after the OU win...they really should be embarrassed. Hell ESPN even had it as their top story

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Update: it looks like KFXA finally gave in and will be televising the game in eastern Iowa. I bet they really hate to be showing it but probably got forced into it.

Something I've often discovered with places like KFXA is that just because it is on the schedule doesn't mean that they will actually be showing it.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Keep writing e-mail to JR Ogden. Make it impossible for him to open his e-mail box.
jr,[email protected] (I suspect the comma in JR's e-mail address is incorrect. Probably a period where the comma is).

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Iowa State fans are cheap. Pretty much proven time and time again.

I would say they are sensible rather than cheap, unlike some in state fans who pay $800 for bowl tickets that you can later buy at a fraction of that cost.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I don't get the paper but I am not surprised. As I posted back in August from time to time this fall KGAN/WMT has flown Big 10 and a tiger hawk flag outside of their building. Yes I know they are the "home of the hawks" but that is all you need to know right there. Emailing won't matter. They are a business...when it hurts their income then they will care.

Reactions: dmh and keepngoal

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I don't get the paper but I am not surprised. As I posted back in August from time to time this fall KGAN/WMT has flown Big 10 and a tiger hawk flag outside of their building. Yes I know they are the "home of the hawks" but that is all you need to know right there. Emailing won't matter. They are a business...when it hurts their income then they will care.

This is true, but to be fair, WMT radio is part of the Iowa sports network, and they carry all the Hawkeye football and basketball games.

What always makes me scratch my head is KGYM - part of the Cyclone radio network, carrying Iowa State football and basketball games - still creates and airs their own Hawkeye football pre-and post-game shows. They aren't carrying the Hawkeyes, they don't have the contract for it ... but they can still get businesses to pony up to sponsor a lame Iowa pregame show (that ends right at kickoff, I guess so their listeners can change over to WMT) and a postgame show (that starts when the game is over, so again folks will supposedly change their radio dials back to KGYM).

It's true KGYM offers some coverage/discussion of the Cyclones during the week, but their hearts really aren't in it. They do it because they have to, what with airing the Cyclone games. I swear, if this was like the old days, before Iowa bundled up their media rights with Learfield and any station in the state that wanted could send a crew to call Hawkeye games, the KGYM guys would be there right next to WMT.

Anyway ... it's eastern Iowa. Of course the Hawks are the big draw around here. That's not news.

(I still can't believe a station that's part of the Cyclone Radio Network does their own Hawkeye pregame and postgame show, though - when they don't have an actual Hawkeye game to air!)

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Keep writing e-mail to JR Ogden. Make it impossible for him to open his e-mail box.
jr,[email protected] (I suspect the comma in JR's e-mail address is incorrect. Probably a period where the comma is).
Do you really think he cares? This quote alone tells me what he thinks of ISU

I also think the coverage of the Cyclones’ victory was very good in Sunday’s newspaper. We bannered the win on Page 1A and the game story — with two photos — took half of our Sports cover.

He thinks a half of a page and two pictures in the 2nd page of the sports section with the caption "Ain't no lie, cy, cy, cy" is 'very good' for arguably the biggest win in ISU football history. He typed that line tongue in cheek. Speak with your money and don't subscribe as other posters have said.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
This is true, but to be fair, WMT radio is part of the Iowa sports network, and they carry all the Hawkeye football and basketball games.

What always makes me scratch my head is KGYM - part of the Cyclone radio network, carrying Iowa State football and basketball games - still creates and airs their own Hawkeye football pre-and post-game shows. They aren't carrying the Hawkeyes, they don't have the contract for it ... but they can still get businesses to pony up to sponsor a lame Iowa pregame show (that ends right at kickoff, I guess so their listeners can change over to WMT) and a postgame show (that starts when the game is over, so again folks will supposedly change their radio dials back to KGYM).

It's true KGYM offers some coverage/discussion of the Cyclones during the week, but their hearts really aren't in it. They do it because they have to, what with airing the Cyclone games. I swear, if this was like the old days, before Iowa bundled up their media rights with Learfield and any station in the state that wanted could send a crew to call Hawkeye games, the KGYM guys would be there right next to WMT.

Anyway ... it's eastern Iowa. Of course the Hawks are the big draw around here. That's not news.

(I still can't believe a station that's part of the Cyclone Radio Network does their own Hawkeye pregame and postgame show, though - when they don't have an actual Hawkeye game to air!)

CysRage has it right.

Here's the thing, if ANY sports editor or sports director in Eastern Iowa DARED to give Iowa State the same equal coverage as they do Iowa those snowflake Iowa fans would throw a fit worse than any two-year old after having their bottle taken away in mid-feeding.

They really believe that anything east of Newton is ALL Iowa territory -- hence the insane outrage over Pollard putting up a billboard promoting Iowa State in Cedar Rapids

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
CysRage has it right.
Here's the thing, if ANY sports editor or sports director in Eastern Iowa DARED to give Iowa State the same equal coverage as they do Iowa those snowflake Iowa fans would throw a fit...

Agree that equal coverage to the hoks simply will never happen, but coverage on the nation's biggest college upset should get substantional coverage by in-state media, including the Gazette.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I am a Cyclone fan. I am an employee of the Gazette.....
I actually had a hand in creating our Game Day and Final Score sections for Saturdays and Sundays in the fall.......

I'll be curious if your creation still has four pages of hok coverage with a AP article for the Cyclones on a bye week. I would hope we could at least get a follow up article from Hlas telling us we are still "miles away".