Response from Gazette sports editor

Jeffwork

Mar 9, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
This is appearing in tomorrow's paper. He sent this link to me in response to my complaint. Interesting how the "wrap around" is sponsored space and locked up with the inner pages being the so called Front page. The only thing I agree with is he had no idea this huge upset was coming. I also can't believe anyone bothers to read 4 full pages of the great win over Illinois, Hawk fan or not.

It's just too much Hawks and little else. They really should see the sports banner to just read "Hawkeye Sports" and be done with it

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/gazette-sports-coverage-we-are-what-we-are-20171009

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
"You see, The Gazette is an Eastern Iowa newspaper that caters to readers from Sigourney to Decorah, Tama to Epworth. Cedar Rapids-Marion and Iowa City are our biggest markets. Through lots of surveys, analytics on our website and interaction with our readers, we know Iowa athletics — and Iowa football in this case — is No. 1 among our customers. A close second is our high school coverage."

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Gazette is a Hawk homer Rag, and probably will continue to be until the old guard is out of their sports department.

I was shocked by the amount of ISU gear I saw being displayed on Sunday when running errands in Cedar Rapids. It may still be 1:3 in ISU vs Hawk, but its getting close to 2:2 very quickly.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
We had given up on the Gazette 20 years ago .... Print it and they will come is my motto. Their motto: please come, then we will print.

I switched long ago to websites for my ISU reporting, and really can't complain.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This moreso reflects the butthurt of
Hawkeye fans and there egos. There too “offended” to read about the “little brother” that it even leaks into how much there own news paper changes it to market it to there insecure fan base. I find it hilarious. The CR paper probably got wiff of the rags giant pic of Lazard and said oh ****, our customers need to be coddled or where gonna get killed on social media.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What's sad is the Quad City Times gives better coverage of the Cyclones than the Cedar Rapids Gazette - and they're a paper that's even further east in Iowa than Cedar Rapids and also has to give some coverage to Illinois. (NOTE - this was my experience from 6 years ago when I still lived in the QC where, while the Iowa-Illinois game would have appeared above the fold line, it would have shared the front page with the Cyclones with that kind of win. You would never know that today with the coverage on their website where ISU isn't even mentioned.)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Simple answer is, don't buy their paper. They are directly telling you that they don't care about you as a customer, why would you spend money on such a product.

Completely agree. Things don't change until they lose money.

Drives me nuts when people come complain about some troll hit piece on ISU by some loser like Sears on Sound Off. You repeatedly get mad about it, why do you continue to watch it?

Gazette is a Hawk homer Rag, and probably will continue to be until the old guard is out of their sports department.

I was shocked by the amount of ISU gear I saw being displayed on Sunday when running errands in Cedar Rapids. It may still be 1:3 in ISU vs Hawk, but its getting close to 2:2 very quickly.

Need Rockwell Collins to hire more engineers.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
"You see, The Gazette is an Eastern Iowa newspaper that caters to readers from Sigourney to Decorah, Tama to Epworth. Cedar Rapids-Marion and Iowa City are our biggest markets. Through lots of surveys, analytics on our website and interaction with our readers, we know Iowa athletics — and Iowa football in this case — is No. 1 among our customers. A close second is our high school coverage."

And I believe it 100%. They are in eastern Iowa, you cater to who is buying the product. And I don't think anyone disagrees that is solidly Hawkeye Country. From a business perspective, they are doing everything right by how they stacked their stories for Sunday morning.

I feel the pain for those who live in that area though and cheer on the Cyclones. Unfortunately it won't change until it becomes Cyclone territory.

Oct 12, 2016
Having grown up in CR, most Cyclones I knew just straight up boycotted the Gazette due to their lack of ISU coverage, which probably is a big part in their research and surveys. My family stopped getting the Gazette during our 5 game win streak vs the Hawks because it was just a complete waste of money from a Cyclone's standpoint (most non-sports news we paid attention to was online at that point).

Now we have CycloneFanatic and reddit and many other vastly superior news sources for Cyclone football.

In the college football sub reddit, ISU was the number 1 story on Saturday and Sunday. I wouldn't even waste my time with the CR Gazette.

Oct 12, 2016

Cedar Rapids has a ton more Cyclones in it than say the 90s but it is no where near 1:3. Rockwell is the only thing bringing in the Cyclones right now. I will say with increased enrollment and more Cyclones staying in the state, CR has a shot to close the gap in fandom but we are decades away. Des Moines is really where I see ISU flexing its muscles in the last 10 years.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Local sports radio in Eastern Iowa treats ISU very fairly. John Walters on right now like he is every week. All is well in Eastern Iowa for Cycline fans and unfortunately for the Gazette is that it's a newspaper and a dying medium for content.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This moreso reflects the butthurt of
Hawkeye fans and there egos. There too “offended” to read about the “little brother” that it even leaks into how much there own news paper changes it to market it to there insecure fan base. I find it hilarious. The CR paper probably got wiff of the rags giant pic of Lazard and said oh ****, our customers need to be coddled or where gonna get killed on social media.

I know Hawkeye fans in Des Moines that think Iowa State gets too much coverage. These are Hayden worshipers who think it's a central Iowa conspiracy to promote Iowa State and not reflective of actual fan population. Delusional doesn't begin to describe the people that live in/come from eastern Iowa.