Random Thoughts VIII: The Ocho

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
so one of the trees installed last fall by bad landscaper had died. Think I mentioned that. So in early August they said they'd replace in the fall. I replied please let us know as scheduling gets closer because we may do the install ourselves (we had not been thrilled with how they did last year - suspect they planted the dead one too deep and the other was very crooked and we re-dug to straighten) and we'd be sure to dig the old one out so they could take it. Radio silence. since then. I actually had this weird dream that we came home one day and they had switched out the trees but planted the new one like, in the fence line and it was just a mess.

I was telling DH and he's like you know it's crossed my mind that we may come home someday and they've just done stuff without telling us.

So later today, we are having a meeting with good landscaper and since we hadn't heard from bad yet, we were going to ask him about the tree and see if he thought we should just try to get the refund and get something else so we could just avoid having to deal with them any longer.

This morning I'm backing out of the driveway and notice a tree in our ditch. WTF. I have no idea when it arrived since it was dark when I got home last night. But there's a tree, just dumped in our ditch, a good 75 yards from where it would need to go. It probably weighs a solid 400-500lbs.
I mean, I'm assuming it's our replacement tree but I've heard nothing from them since early August when I asked that you know, they give us a heads up first.

God, I hate dealing with these people.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I mean, I'm assuming it's our replacement tree but I've heard nothing from them since early August when I asked that you know, they give us a heads up first.

God, I hate dealing with these people.

Story of dealing with good nursery people last Friday. On of my PJM rhododendron's died this summer. Couldn't find the receipt to see if was under warranty. Went to Bachman's Garden Center and they looked up my account since I am a member of their garden club (it's free and they can look up your stuff on their computer at the store). Turns out I had bought the shrub in May 2015 so I figured "Oh, well, past one year warranty". They go "No, as a club member you get two years". Me, "Cool".

I went on to say I wasn't sure why it died, maybe too much rain this year, but that the Little Gem rhododendron I bought at the same time is doing great. Gal then asked me how the "other" PJM was doing. I said what "other". She said your receipt shows one Little Gem and two RJM's. I said, darn I guess I should have looked at the receipt closer when I bought them because I only bought one PJM. She then refunded me for that mistake based on my word of a purchase from May 2015.

I was all :eek:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
oh great, got a reply. Yep, it's our tree and they'll get it planted today.

What part of " give us notice because we may do the install ourselves" did they miss?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
CG, as your friend, I was very upset about your tree situation and decided to do something about it. I reached out to the bad landscaper and gave him a piece of my mind. Good news! He said they would replace the trees and plant some decorative shrubs for no charge.

Here's a picture of what they're envisioning:

article-1343035768312-142a24be000005dc-668704_466x527.jpg

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
CG, as your friend, I was very upset about your tree situation and decided to do something about it. I reached out to the bad landscaper and gave him a piece of my mind. Good news! He said they would replace the trees and plant some decorative shrubs for no charge.

Here's a picture of what they're envisioning:

article-1343035768312-142a24be000005dc-668704_466x527.jpg

I think I mentioned this too, but when we met with the good one, I point blank asked him his opinion on the other one. After a minute (at which point I could tell he didn't want to say anything bad and look unprofessional) he said that though he liked to work with new builds from the start so he could know that retaining walls/borders and such were put in in a way that would work well for trees and shrubs and ****, he had gotten to the point where if he found out that bad one was involved in the project, he would walk away from it.

It felt good to get some confirmation that it wasn't just us who had trouble with them.

Oh and yeah, so there's a retaining wall right out in front of our house that they did two layers of rock and not three - good landscape guy seemed annoyed by that and DH and I suspect we'll have to redo it at some point because the slope is too steep and that's probably going to cause problems. So they just seem to do all-around shoddy work.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
so another part of this is that last year when putting in trees, they tore up the yard pretty solidly and didn't really fix it. So with all the rain we've had this year, we didn't really want a skidloader going across the yard. So I asked about that and they said they could do it without a skidloader. So they are going to plant it. We shall see how this goes. Though honestly, if it's crooked (like one of the others they did) or planted too deep again, we can probably fix that ourselves. At least the old will be gone and the new one in the hole. I was really struggling to figure out how we were going to move that thing.

I'm just going to pray the thing survives so we can be done with this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron