PC build help!

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I'm helping a friend strip data off a handful of pc's that have been replaced at her insurance business. In lieu of payment, I get to keep whatever her agents don't want. I know I'm getting at least one of them, so naturally I'm going to mix and match the best available pieces.

I'm hoping to put it to use as a light duty media server, ideally hooked up to one of my HDTVs. What I need is some help picking out the best processor, and the most capable video card.

The processors seem pretty straight forward, they are all P4's, but the model and stepping numbers are different. I may also regret not writing down the family numbers. I assume the higher the better, but maybe there is more to it. The video cards are a little more difficult. I haven't reserached them in the better part of 10 years. Here's what I have:

Processors
1. 3.20 Ghz model 6 stepping 5
2. 3.40 Ghz model 6 stepping 4
3. 3.20 Ghz model 4 stepping 3
4. 3.06 Ghz model 4 stepping 9

Cards (best connection)
1. PNY GeForce FX5200 DDR 256mb PCI (VGA)
2. Visiontek Radeon HD 2400 Pro 256mb PCIe (HDMI)
3. PNY GeForce 8400GS DDR2 512mb PCI low profile (DVI)
4. PNY GeForce 8400GS DDR2 512mb PCI (DVI)

Any insight would be appreciated.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
For the video cards your TV specs may be important. For example, if you don't have a DVI input then the Radeon card would be the logical choice. Also, the on board audio would also be important. The HDMI would incorporate digital audio where the DVI wouldn't. If the only audio option you plan on having is the 2.5mm speaker jack then that's going to sound like crap. Personally, I would go with the Radeon as I don't think a media center would require the additional memory and the HDMI output would be easier to deal with on a TV.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron