Parents Nightmare/Miracle

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Obviously happy for her, him and his family.

But it feels weird that the first reaction is to film and post it than console his daughter who is in obvious trauma.
I'm guessing there was quite a time lapse between when he first got to the scene and when he filmed it.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Even though I knew she was ok, I caught myself holding my breath as I watched it. Regardless of how good of a driver your child is, we all know how quickly things can go badly in a vehicle.

I swear my daughter would tell me reports of a classmate getting into either a minor or major accident every other week during her sophomore year.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I don't see any emergency vehicles, doubt it was that long even on a rural road.
Unless he's just the shittiest parent, I would hope he'd make sure his daughter was ok and not in hysterics before taking a video of the scene.

Many on this board grew up in a very rural area. When I messed up my pickup in high school, I called my dad. He was there within 20 minutes. Since I was ok and nobody else was involved, cops were never called.

If you look at Gibson County, it's not the most populated area, so I doubt there's a sizable police force in the area. I assume cops got involved eventually given the damage to the guard rail and clean-up involved, but they may not have been contacted until the father got there and made sure everything was ok (as could be).

Attacking the dad is a weird thing to take out of this video.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Unless he's just the shittiest parent, I would hope he'd make sure his daughter was ok and not in hysterics before taking a video of the scene.

Many on this board grew up in a very rural area. When I messed up my pickup in high school, I called my dad. He was there within 20 minutes. Since I was ok and nobody else was involved, cops were never called.

If you look at Gibson County, it's not the most populated area, so I doubt there's a sizable police force in the area. I assume cops got involved eventually given the damage to the guard rail and clean-up involved, but they may not have been contacted until the father got there and made sure everything was ok (as could be).

Attacking the dad is a weird thing to take out of this video.

Saying "it feels weird" that his first thought is to film/post to social media is hardly an attack IMO. It's a valid point - that'd be the last thing on most dad's minds when their daughter is still crying sitting right behind the wreckage.

• Agree
Reactions: Chitowncy

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Very lucky indeed. Guard rails are supposed to help, not impede.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I was at a transportation conference this year and met "The Guardrail Guy." He has a youtube channel if you want to check him out. His daughter crashed into a guardrail which failed and she died as a result. He won a lawsuit and has now made it his life's mission to address guardrail issues across the country.

He was a pretty intense guy but you can understand why. Seems like he's had a lot of success getting governments to fund fixes.

Reactions: CyJam

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Saying "it feels weird" that his first thought is to film/post to social media is hardly an attack IMO. It's a valid point - that'd be the last thing on most dad's minds when their daughter is still crying sitting right behind the wreckage.
What did I miss? She is sitting in the truck that he drove to the scene in and she isn't crying when he opens the door. She starts to get emotional as he's talking, but she looks fine. Making a big production out of filming a scene he is clearly planning on posting to social media is not a choice I would make, but I would have definitely taken some pictures at that point.

Reactions: Drew0311

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
The entire post said "But it feels weird that the first reaction is to film and post it than console his daughter who is in obvious trauma." There was an implication that the dad put her in the car and immediately started filming this before caring about her safety. In reality, I don't think we have any idea of the time frame between getting out there and taking and posting this video. It wasn't like she was still in the upside down car when he recorded the video.

That being said, I don't take any value of posting on social media (outside of CF) and would never post what this guy did. I thought how he intentionally tugged at your heartstrings before his emotional "reveal" that his daughter was ok had a reality tv/manifested drama vibe to it.

I'm ok going after his social media posting style, but the comments made it seem like he cared more about the video than his daughter, which seemed presumptuous.

Reactions: MJ29

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
The girl is thinking "Dad is happy I am ok" She is also thinking "Dad is going to go off on me in the next few days". As a dad, that is how it works. As long as the kid is ok. We are all good. Then a couple days later we address the issue that got them into the situation

• Agree
Reactions: CRcyclone6

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
The entire post said "But it feels weird that the first reaction is to film and post it than console his daughter who is in obvious trauma." There was an implication that the dad put her in the car and immediately started filming this before caring about her safety. In reality, I don't think we have any idea of the time frame between getting out there and taking and posting this video. It wasn't like she was still in the upside down car when he recorded the video.

That being said, I don't take any value of posting on social media (outside of CF) and would never post what this guy did. I thought how he intentionally tugged at your heartstrings before his emotional "reveal" that his daughter was ok had a reality tv/manifested drama vibe to it.

I'm ok going after his social media posting style, but the comments made it seem like he cared more about the video than his daughter, which seemed presumptuous.
But doesn’t doing the “reveal” drama make it seem like he wanted a viral video?

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er and Cycsk

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
But doesn’t doing the “reveal” drama make it seem like he wanted a viral video?
100%. That's why I said what I did in my post.

I just wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't put the video ahead of initially caring for his daughter.