Oklahoma & OKlahoma State duals

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Just have to say this again. Tanner's pick was a thing of beauty. If I knew how to make a gif, it would be a go to. I've watched it over and over. Just something. People who can't appreciate a move like that can't be helped.
Straight up Cael dirrrrty man it was awesome especially when they showed it on slow mo after it happened. I can't find it anywhere online to be able to show anyone. If you have a video link let me know I'll make it a gif.

Beyond that here are some thoughts:

Larson was just overmatched

Hall got caught I mean really caught shoulda been stuck. Brewer is a BEAST straight 200lbr it seems

Meeks man idk even the announcer said everyone says he can do anything in the room just can't do it on the mat

Moreno just yuck at times and it cost him.

Tanner again the pick was AMAZING! I gotta find it to put it up

Spoon tried doing spoon things and the opponent was 100% ready for it

ISU vs. OU Match-by-Match
125: Ryan Millhof (OU) dec. Kyle Larson (ISU), 7-1.
133: Cody Brewer (OU) maj. dec. Earl Hall (ISU), 12-4.
141: Trae Blackwell (OU) dec. John Meeks (ISU), 7-3
149: Davion Jeffries (OU) fall Gabe Moreno (ISU), 3:32.
157: Renaldo Rodriguez-Spencer (ISU) dec. Brock Wingbermuehle (OU), 10-8.
165: Tanner Weatherman (ISU) dec. Clark Glass (OU), 6-2.
174: Matt Reed (OU) dec. Lelund Weatherspoon (ISU), 6-1.
184: Andrew Dixon (OU) dec. Dane Pestano (ISU), 6-4 (SV-1).
197: Marcus Harrington (ISU) dec. Brad Johnson (OU), 3-2.
285: Ross Larson (OU) fall Quean Smith (ISU), 2:53.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I watched a couple matches on Fox last night; first match I've been able to see in a few years.
Tough to see The Sudden Victory match at 184; I thought Pestano could pull it out.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Can anyone in the know tell me if there is something wrong with Dante at 141? There must be an injury or weight issue right? Dante showed so much promise last year and if Meeks is a 'coaches decision', then I don't even know what to say.

The team really looked terrible last night. No other way to say it. Tanner was the lone bright spot.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Look who's back. Disappointing showing by ISU and there is UNIFan.

Nothing like a crappy outing to bring people out of the woodwork.

I had us winning 141,149, and 174 with a toss up at 184 but losing 165 (I wasn't sold on Tanners improvement being real vs just having lower competition lately). We stunk it up last night for sure. Oklahoma has improved a lot since the start of the season but it still should have been a close meet and since Tanner won we should have taken the meet. Moreno and Weatherspoon need to figure stuff out, and soon.

That said, I think Tanner is back to being a legit AA candidate and that's a big plus for NCAAs. Both him and Hall are on track for a seed in the 6-9 range.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL

I had us winning 141,149, and 174 with a toss up at 184 but losing 165 (I wasn't sold on Tanners improvement being real vs just having lower competition lately). We stunk it up last night for sure. Oklahoma has improved a lot since the start of the season but it still should have been a close meet and since Tanner won we should have taken the meet. Moreno and Weatherspoon need to figure stuff out, and soon.

That said, I think Tanner is back to being a legit AA candidate and that's a big plus for NCAAs. Both him and Hall are on track for a seed in the 6-9 range.

Like I've said before, I really hope Weatherman and Hall reach their potential. Weatherman has looked very good lately.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

Not sure how close a meet could be with only 3 favorites and 1 toss up.

Tanner has adjusted to the weight. He's our best bet. To AA.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL

I think Weatherman is on his way to a great year - high AA or better. I'll go out on a limb and predict it today.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

Think he's saying he had us winning 3 matches in which we lost...1 of those 3 we lost via an inexplicable fall.

Flip those 3, even with the loss at 84, and the final team score is a heck of a lot different.

Last edited:

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Think he's saying he had us winning 3 matches in which we lost...1 of those 3 we lost via an inexplicable fall.

Flip those 3, even with the loss at 84, and the final team score is a heck of a lot different.

Doh! Probably. Rather optimistic outlook to say the least though.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Boston at 141 today it looks like. Very interesting. Hopefully done with the Meeks experience for good, as I'm sick of hearing about his "potential" as he's a RS Jr now. Wish Dante was out there but he's either hurt or can't make 141 anymore.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Boston at 141 today it looks like. Very interesting. Hopefully done with the Meeks experience for good, as I'm sick of hearing about his "potential" as he's a RS Jr now. Wish Dante was out there but he's either hurt or can't make 141 anymore.

Heard about Moreno possibly dropping to 41 next year. If that's the case, I assume that means Dante can't make the weight anymore, because I'd have to think Dante is in the lineup at some point.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Bit extreme, I understand where you would think that though. If it hasn't happened already it probably won't happen. It's sad/frustrating if it ends up being the case. Everyone, coaches and outsiders, have talked about how he is just a beast in the room.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Heard about Moreno possibly dropping to 41 next year. If that's the case, I assume that means Dante can't make the weight anymore, because I'd have to think Dante is in the lineup at some point.
+1 of hearing that possibility. In my mind it would be much easier for Moreno to handle 141 than what has been proven for Dante to.

Mar 12, 2014
+1 of hearing that possibility. In my mind it would be much easier for Moreno to handle 141 than what has been proven for Dante to.

If Moreno drops to 141, then what weight does Boston wrestle. Simmons will be 133# next year. Boston weighed in at 141 vs OU so it's obviously apparent that he's the future 141# for ISU.

I can see Dante' getting his redshirt next year and Moreno finishes up at 149#. Then the following year 2017-2018, 133# Simmons, 141# Boston, 149# Rodriguez & etc.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
If Moreno drops to 141, then what weight does Boston wrestle. Simmons will be 133# next year. Boston weighed in at 141 vs OU so it's obviously apparent that he's the future 141# for ISU.

I can see Dante' getting his redshirt next year and Moreno finishes up at 149#. Then the following year 2017-2018, 133# Simmons, 141# Boston, 149# Rodriguez & etc.

Can Moreno go up to 157? That would seem to make more sense with Rodriguez at 149.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Bit extreme, I understand where you would think that though. If it hasn't happened already it probably won't happen. It's sad/frustrating if it ends up being the case. Everyone, coaches and outsiders, have talked about how he is just a beast in the room.

Trust me, I hate saying it but I just can't listen to people talk about how close he is to turning the corner. The light should've come on by now, he's not an underclassmen anymore.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

It's good question. Looking around at the dominant wrestlers these days though, and most are huge relative to their wrestling weight. I like Larson a lot. Kid has tremendous heart, but we would be better if Boston could handle the weight cut. We would be better with Moreno at 41. Rodriguez, I think, is the exception to the rule. He could wrestle 57, but think he would be best at 49, which is closer to his natural weight. Looking at our lineup going forward, in the short term, I'm not sure what we do with Boston, because you're right...Simmons is going to be the guy at 33, and Boston obviously can't handle 25.

Mar 12, 2014
It's good question. Looking around at the dominant wrestlers these days though, and most are huge relative to their wrestling weight. I like Larson a lot. Kid has tremendous heart, but we would be better if Boston could handle the weight cut. We would be better with Moreno at 41. Rodriguez, I think, is the exception to the rule. He could wrestle 57, but think he would be best at 49, which is closer to his natural weight. Looking at our lineup going forward, in the short term, I'm not sure what we do with Boston, because you're right...Simmons is going to be the guy at 33, and Boston obviously can't handle 25.

These wrestlers are heavier than what the fans realize. Dante' is and will be a solid 149# and the same goes for Boston at 141#. Boston may visibly appear to be small for 141# but that's because he tall and lean but the scales don't lie.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
These wrestlers are heavier than what the fans realize. Dante' is and will be a solid 149# and the same goes for Boston at 141#. Boston may visibly appear to be small for 141# but that's because he tall and lean but the scales don't lie.

I realize the weight. In reality, Boston would be most effective at 33 today, but that's not happening now (Hall) or going forward (Simmons). Can he wrestle at 41? Yes, and probably will at some point, but I'd rather have Moreno there and Rodriguez at 49 next year. Boston can take over after that.