****Official Class of 2018 Recruiting Thread****

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Seems like different circumstances. So McDermott left a recruiting hotbed in Ames like Minneapolis region? oh, ok

He left for Creighton, which is harder to recruit to theoretically, but easier to rack up wins against lesser competition. Pitino would be doing the same.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
With regards to Minnesota- there will be a ton of heat with Little Ricky and USF (they fired their coach today). Word is that this is a job that Daddy says is a diamond and he has been angling for Jr. to get this job for a while. With Minnesota giving Pitino a season to regain credibility, I look for him to take the USF job and give the TC media a finger on the way out.

We sit very well for Race right now IMO
But isn't this the part of the story where if it happens, Minnesota gets an even better coach, who brings along an ace recruiter, and the dad of two five stars. Oh, and throw in has big connections overseas. Lol

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
But isn't this the part of the story where if it happens, Minnesota gets an even better coach, who brings along an ace recruiter, and the dad of two five stars. Oh, and throw in has big connections overseas. Lol
always a possibility but given the perpetual state of disaster that the U's athletic department is in, I would have to see it to believe it. Additionally, this is a school that has not kept the elite talent in state since Clem Haskins. No reason to expect that to change

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
always a possibility but given the perpetual state of disaster that the U's athletic department is in, I would have to see it to believe it. Additionally, this is a school that has not kept the elite talent in state since Clem Haskins. No reason to expect that to change

Maybe the 5 stars leave, but they still keep a fair amount of talent, they just don't do much with it. Any decent coach should keep enough talent there to consistently make the tourney, IMO.

The Twin Cities metro is approximately 3.5m. If you keep half of the top 125 kids within 1 hour of your campus, you SHOULD have a top half B1G roster.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Not that this should surprise anyone.

@DWolfsenKSTP @MattGamby But yes, @TravisHines21 can tell you that Race is a HUGE priority for ISU.

@TravisHines21 @DWolfsonKSTP @MattGamby Yup, he's their No. 1 in 2018. They think that Minnesota is their top competition for him.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I don't see that affecting Thompson at all. That's just wishful thinking.

Unless Race likes the idea of playing with Oturu. I think they have unofficially visited at the same time a few times. I don't like the idea of Lil Pitino locking down the Twin Cities for basketball. Last year Coffee now, Oturu. On the plus side, before his sudden announcement many experts were looking at Kansas for his commitment.
I still like ISU chances with Race.

FWIW Hines thinks it'll help.

@travisHines21 Conventional wisdom is this probably helps Iowa State with Thompson in '18. Far from a sure thing though (reference to Oturu)

Last edited:

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Unless Race likes the idea of playing with Oturu. I think they have unofficially visited at the same time a few times. I don't like the idea of Lil Pitino locking down the Twin Cities for basketball. Last year Coffee now, Oturu. On the plus side, before his sudden announcement many experts were looking at Kansas for his commitment.
I still like ISU chances with Race.