***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Over the last 14 years or so "normal" has been more like the maximum. Here is a graph I put together averaging rainfall totals from airport data across the state since 2010. Rainfall total on right and percent of normal (32 inches) on left. If you assume normal distribution the odds of only having 2 years in that stretch where we barely reach the mean is pretty darn low. May be time to consider a new "normal" for Iowa.

View attachment 128917
Yeah maybe so. Not sure how they calculate "normal". I would think there would be more weight assigned to recent years as opposed to 100 years ago.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Yeah maybe so. Not sure how they calculate "normal". I would think there would be more weight assigned to recent years as opposed to 100 years ago.
Maybe they're using the climatological average, where they average a 30-year span and update that every decade? I think we just moved into a new 30-year window recently.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We are pretty short on accurate, widespread regional data, and it seems that we operate by extrapolating more recent accurate data and then making some assumptions based on what we do know. The "1 in a thousand years" or "1 in 500 years" events could well be much more common that we think.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
We are pretty short on accurate, widespread regional data, and it seems that we operate by extrapolating more recent accurate data and then making some assumptions based on what we do know. The "1 in a thousand years" or "1 in 500 years" events could well be much more common that we think.
It's true that we have only had really accurate widespread weather data for a relatively short period of time, but the take home message is that relative to that time we have had accurate data the last ten plus years in Iowa have been incredibly dry. Who knows, this year could be a start of a 10 to fifteen year pattern of wet weather, but if current trends hold up its a definite concern.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Keep in mind that if the rain falls too fast over a short period of time, the water will run off into lakes. rivers. creeks. That doesn't help much with improving drought conditions. The best rains to improve drought conditions are the light to moderate, all day rain events. Those rains will soak into the ground much better than downpours
I know, but these ponds aren’t running anywhere.

Also checked and USGS had groundwater at 19 inches from ground surface. That would be pretty close to completely full in my book.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I could be mistaken but I thought I read the "normal" for rain, temp, etc. is the average of the previous 5 years, so in effect a floating average

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015

I could be mistaken but I thought I read the "normal" for rain, temp, etc. is the average of the previous 5 years, so in effect a floating average
No one seems to know for sure. Not saying they aren't doing it that way but a 5 year floating average would seem to be to short a time period.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I shouldn't have said "normal", how about the average since 1895, when we started keeping official climate records, is in the ball park of 33 to 34 inches for the state. Most people are going to consider normal for Iowa anywhere from 32 to 36 inches based on data, but it varies quite a bit from NW (drier) to SE (wetter) in the state.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

Reactions: ABECyguy

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I know, but these ponds aren’t running anywhere.

Also checked and USGS had groundwater at 19 inches from ground surface. That would be pretty close to completely full in my book.
Yep. The top layer is too saturated so water runs off into collection areas. Hence why rivers, ponds, and lakes are filling up

There still is a slight drought for Story County, but it has improved quite a bit this year. But even with all the rain, the rain is falling too hard and fast for it to seep down deep enough to fully end the drought as of right now. If the same volume of precipitation fell over a longer period of time, the drought likely would be officially over by now

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
So we get tons of rain, but if we still say we’re in a “drought”, does that keep the government checks rolling in for farmers relief, or what? Half joking.

If it gets to mid June with no planting window there could be the opportunity for prevent plant payments.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Just seems weird that if conditions are favorable for a tornado and they tell you to seek shelter that watch wouldn't be issued

Not sure about that. It happens every so often though. Kind of like a “funnel cloud” watch. If that one documented up in Northern IA hadn’t of gotten close to the ground or touched down I bet they wouldn’t have included the take shelter language.