***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
I don't care how anal you are about your lawn. Mowing more than once in a week is insane.
Call me insane all you want, but I don't have the patience to go over my lawn twice each time I mow. Not to mention trying to never cut more than 1/3 of the total length of the lawn.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Honestly, you don’t sound like a homeowner. It’s not that we want to mow more than once a week. The grass is just growing like crazy, no choice.
I've held off on getting a rider, still use a self-propelled push mower (it's exercise), on a lot that's around 1/3 of an acre. This time of year with this kind of weather, the grass grows like crazy and if I let it go too long my mower struggles getting through it, I have to back it up and hit the same spot a few times, and the mulch chute gets clogged so I have to stop, unclog it, restart... just a pain.

jaj040

Nut Cup Wearer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 21, 2015
What free radar service do you at home meteorologists use? I think it's neat to look at inbound and outbound velocities, but don't know what site provides it.

• Optimistic
Reactions: mynameisjonas

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I pay for RadarScope. Best $9.99 I’ve ever spent. Especially on a day like today with a major outbreak under way.
I use MyRadar for everyday purposes (where's the rain? where's the lightning? where are the watches/warnings?).

RadarScope is nice for looking at specific cells, toggling through different radar options.

wX is a free, open-source app that gives you a LOT of features that the other apps require a subscription for. It isn't super easy to use at first, but the learning curve isn't too bad.

I use all three on Android, but all three are available for apple as well.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Still in a moderate drought, although just on the edge. Rivers have been out of their banks for a couple weeks now, Field ponds have shrunk but not disappeared during the same time, lakes are above average levels.......not sure how much more rain it will take to get to just abnormally dry.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Still in a moderate drought, although just on the edge. Rivers have been out of their banks for a couple weeks now, Field ponds have shrunk but not disappeared during the same time, lakes are above average levels.......not sure how much more rain it will take to get to just abnormally dry.

Abnormally dry for me with water everywhere, with another short inch from last night to now.:rolleyes:

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

Keep in mind that if the rain falls too fast over a short period of time, the water will run off into lakes. rivers. creeks. That doesn't help much with improving drought conditions. The best rains to improve drought conditions are the light to moderate, all day rain events. Those rains will soak into the ground much better than downpours

• Winner
Reactions: Turn2 and Agclone91

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think we have kinda forgotten that in a "normal " year it always rains a lot in the spring.
Over the last 14 years or so "normal" has been more like the maximum. Here is a graph I put together averaging rainfall totals from airport data across the state since 2010. Rainfall total on left and percent of normal (34 inches) on right. If you assume normal distribution the odds of only having 2 years in that stretch where we barely reach the mean is pretty darn low. May be time to consider a new "normal" for Iowa.

1000001489.jpg

Last edited: