***Official 2024 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament Thread***

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I am having a hard time with my bracket picking a winner. It's just a weird year. Houston is banged up. I can't see UCONN repeating just because it is so difficult. Purdue and Painter always choke.

Reactions: ABECyguy

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I am having a hard time with my bracket picking a winner. It's just a weird year. Houston is banged up. I can't see UCONN repeating just because it is so difficult. Purdue and Painter always choke.

If only there were another option. Maybe someone in the East if you don’t see UCONN repeating. I’ll have to look through the seedlings in that region, maybe there’s some team that’s right below UCONN that could be considered?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If only there were another option. Maybe someone in the East if you don’t see UCONN repeating. I’ll have to look through the seedlings in that region, maybe there’s some team that’s right below UCONN that could be considered?
I can't see ISU winning either. I mean it would be fun to pick them but I can't see it. I can see them making a final four. I can't see Tennessee winning. Can't see Zona winning.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I can't see ISU winning either. I mean it would be fun to pick them but I can't see it. I can see them making a final four. I can't see Tennessee winning. Can't see Zona winning.
I'm the same. There's always something for each of these teams that makes me think they won't win it. I think Creighton is in a good spot or sleeper team to win whole thing but then part of thinks that's bracket suicide.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I did 3 brackets. Picked ISU in one because **** it. I got UConn in the other 2, probably should have diversified the champ but I'm having a hard time seeing anyone beat them.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I’ve always found it weird that the play in games are for both a 10 seed (decent chance to advance) and a 16 (virtually no chance to advance). I guess playing as a 16 it’s nice because you have a chance to earn a NCAA tourny win but always struck me as odd that it’s those two seeds.
It's not always a 10 seed, it's been 11 or even 12 in the past, just whatever the lowest at-large teams end up at.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
It's not always a 10 seed, it's been 11 or even 12 in the past, just whatever the lowest at-large teams end up at.
I’m not sure they’ve ever been as high as 10 seeds before. They’re only that high because we had 5 bid stealers this year.

Pretty crazy to think OU would have been an 11 seed and not in the first 4 before last week started. But they slid all the way to out of the tourney

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
This is the year Iowa State breaks KenPom’s historical NC criteria (top 25 efficiency, top 37 offense, top 38 defense, top 45 SoS). Ken says only UConn, Houston, Purdue, Az, Tenn, UNC, Creighton, and Marquette can win it. He’s got us at 55th on offense, but can our #1 rated defense overcome?

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
This is the year Iowa State breaks KenPom’s historical NC criteria (top 25 efficiency, top 37 offense, top 38 defense, top 45 SoS). Ken says only UConn, Houston, Purdue, Az, Tenn, UNC, Creighton, and Marquette can win it. He’s got us at 55th on offense, but can our #1 rated defense overcome?
When this criteria is touted, it always says "at the end of the season". It's never clarified if that means after the regular season, after the conference tournament, or after the NCAA tournament. It's not hard to imagine that winning 6 games in a row against tournament teams would push your numbers into the stratosphere.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Don't forget the potential winner was ID'ed back in December

Houston might be a little banged up to win it all. I don't trust Arizona. Baylor's path might be too hard.. That leaves Purdue as the only team that was both top 5 in NET on December and top 12 in the Week 6 AP poll that is in a good enough position based on the brackets to win it all.