***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
The Marlins won 84 games last year so it wasn't like it's all his fault he's on a terrible team. They also just produced the NL Cy Young winner 2 years ago.

He might have potential to be thst good but nothing about his career or numbers so far suggest he's anywhere near a top 5 pitcher.
He led the Marlins in wins last year (which is not a good stat to look at for pitchers) and has had a sub 3.5 FIP 3 of his 5 professional seasons. He strikes out over 10.5 batters per 9, which would’ve led the Cubs last season.

Here is his baseball savant vs Shota. Both are eerily similar in analytics. Difference is Luzardo is 26.

Attachments

• IMG_1064.jpeg
    IMG_1064.jpeg
    550.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1065.jpeg
    IMG_1065.jpeg
    546.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Informative
Reactions: NoCreativity

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
He led the Marlins in wins last year (which is not a good stat to look at for pitchers) and has had a sub 3.5 FIP 3 of his 5 professional seasons. He strikes out over 10.5 batters per 9, which would’ve led the Cubs last season.

Here is his baseball savant vs Shota. Both are eerily similar in analytics. Difference is Luzardo is 26.
Fair enough, just looking at his basic numbers though he's not a guy I'd want to mortgage guys like Shaw for.

Reactions: ISUCubswin

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I don’t follow baseball broadly enough to know exactly how they stack up against other teams, but relative to its own history this organization is loaded with talent right now. This Ballestaros is absolutely raking and he certainly isn’t one of the first guys who comes up when talking about prospects. There is also money available. Exciting times!

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Palencia has the fastball to be an effective reliever but need to see more consistency in high leverage situations before trusting him as a closer. He was a mixed bag with his control last year if I recall and was converted to a reliever not long ago too. Cubs have several.young relievers that just need to develop consistency and have the mindset of a high leverage reliever and that will take some trial and error along the way. Definitely have some guys with good stuff but have to learn to locate the pitches too.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Palencia has the fastball to be an effective reliever but need to see more consistency in high leverage situations before trusting him as a closer. He was a mixed bag with his control last year if I recall and was converted to a reliever not long ago too. Cubs have several.young relievers that just need to develop consistency and have the mindset of a high leverage reliever and that will take some trial and error along the way. Definitely have some guys with good stuff but have to learn to locate the pitches too.

So about that consistency.....

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Once again, starter gives up no runs. Lovelady and Palencia give up 6 runs. Frustrating.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Noticed Steele hit 94 pretty regular. Which is around his average. In Des Moines he was sitting around 90. Could just be different guns but glad to see he's were he should be.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Exactly why I don't live game to game. Thompson had a couple good outings then got lit up and is back in Iowa. Palencia could find himself back there too if he can't get outside when it matters
Palencia was on back to back. Which you'd hope he can handle on occasion. Lovelady wasn't. He should be the next to get shipped.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Palencia was on back to back. Which you'd hope he can handle on occasion. Lovelady wasn't. He should be the next to get shipped.
As was said above Lovelady didn’t pitch that badly. Seeing eye singles. Palencia was not good.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Keegan Thompson is back in Chicago. Have to wonder who got “hurt”

My guess is Palencia and that they found something between his elite performance Saturday to the **** show yesterday and are hoping to address it