***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Am I missing something with those trade ideas? Lazurdo is injured and has an ERA approaching 7 in 5 starts. His career best in wins is 10.

We need bullpen help not bad starting pitching. There's no way I'd give up Wicks or Shaw in that deal.
You should ask Kap, he's the one floating it. Wicks seems to be the obvious guy to deal. To beat LA or Atl in a playoff series we're going to need to get a guy that can.lock down the final 3 outs. He's a Quality starter, years of team control. Likely only be a fringe guy in our future rotation. Wesneski is probably the other option for the same reasons just doesn't have the same trade value.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Am I missing something with those trade ideas? Lazurdo is injured and has an ERA approaching 7 in 5 starts. His career best in wins is 10.

We need bullpen help not bad starting pitching. There's no way I'd give up Wicks or Shaw in that deal.
In the right system, Luzardo is a top 5 MLB a pitcher. He’s played for the A’s and Marlins, neither of which are winning franchises OR known for developing elite pitching.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
You should ask Kap, he's the one floating it. Wicks seems to be the obvious guy to deal. To beat LA or Atl in a playoff series we're going to need to get a guy that can.lock down the final 3 outs. He's a Quality starter, years of team control. Likely only be a fringe guy in our future rotation. Wesneski is probably the other option for the same reasons just doesn't have the same trade value.
Why would Wicks not be part of the future? Hendricks is likely on his last legs here. I don't think you can count on Taillon to continue like this through the end of his contract either.

Assad, Imanga, and Steele are long term locks. Are we thinking both Brown and Horton will push everyone else out in the next 2 years?

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
A couple things...

Jesus Luzardo is really freaking good. He was also on IL with elbow discomfort, but just made a really good first rehab start. Perhaps the elbow concern allows you to get a top end starting pitcher for a little cheaper than normal.

Javier Assad has definitely shown his worth. You want to protect him a bit too. He's also been <120IP in each of the last five full seasons. I don't think it's the end of the world to let him work out of the pen in those 2-3 innings stints for a while. There inevitably will be more injuries and he's show the ability to jump back and forth from bullpen to starting. Might be the way to keep him closer to 150IP on the year.

Wesneski/Brown are in similar Assad situations. Shown the ability to swing back and forth and pitch longer relief stints. I think they can see the same thing happen, so that all three keep innings in check, stay fresh and eat a lot of bullpen innings (which we need!)

Tanner Scott may not be perfect, but I wouldnt be turning my nose up at any bullpen help. Especially one who misses a lot of bats (even with the walks).

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
In the right system, Luzardo is a top 5 MLB a pitcher. He’s played for the A’s and Marlins, neither of which are winning franchises OR known for developing elite pitching.
Agree, his stuff is electric.

If you can get him for Wicks and Triantos ( they probably will want Vazquez) it's probably a no brainer. They just traded their 2B. Package Mervis and they add a good reliever.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Some "smoke" out there that the Pirates top pitching prospect Paul Skenes could be making his debut vs. the Cubs this weekend.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The Marlins won 84 games last year so it wasn't like it's all his fault he's on a terrible team. They also just produced the NL Cy Young winner 2 years ago.

He might have potential to be thst good but nothing about his career or numbers so far suggest he's anywhere near a top 5 pitcher.

CycloneT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 14, 2017
If we’re going to trade for a closer. Just pay whatever the A’s want for Mason Miller.

• Agree
Reactions: RagingCloner

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines
The Marlins won 84 games last year so it wasn't like it's all his fault he's on a terrible team. They also just produced the NL Cy Young winner 2 years ago.

He might have potential to be thst good but nothing about his career or numbers so far suggest he's anywhere near a top 5 pitcher.
I won't pretend to know everything about Luzardo, but last year was the first year he got a full season worth starts. I'm not worried about him not having won more than 10 games.

Do I think he's a top 5 pitcher? no. But I would take him for the right deal.

More interested in the bullpen help at the moment, as we need another back end guy. Although I think the problems can be mostly fixed in house with a little health.

Reactions: NoCreativity

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
As closers go. I was really impressed with Palencia's command of the zone. If that's repeatable the problem may be solved soon. Brown is another that could become a late inning regular. Leiter, Almonte, maybe Little and at some point Merryweather we might have something.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
As closers go. I was really impressed with Palencia's command of the zone. If that's repeatable the problem may be solved soon. Brown is another that could become a late inning regular. Leiter, Almonte, maybe Little and at some point Merryweather we might have something.

Palencia has looked good of late when they have limited him to one inning. Not so much when they tried to extend him further.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Why would Wicks not be part of the future? Hendricks is likely on his last legs here. I don't think you can count on Taillon to continue like this through the end of his contract either.

Assad, Imanga, and Steele are long term locks. Are we thinking both Brown and Horton will push everyone else out in the next 2 years?
Obviously Taillon won't maintain what he's been doing so far, but he's been a pretty dependable pitcher in his career overall and is not all that old by pitching standards. Stats wise over his career he's honestly pretty similar to Hendricks especially if you remove Hendricks' elite 2016 season (which you shouldn't, it was just 8 years ago and kind of an outlier).

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Taillon was the 2nd pick in the draft for a reason, he just never got to his ceiling because he got stuck with the developmental nightmare that was the Pirates system at the time.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Wicks, Triantos, Arias, Canario, Lottery Ticket and Mervis (throw in, no value) for Luzardo and Scott.

I'd also be willing to talk about Shaw if need be.

PCA, Horton, Rojas, Caissie are absolute no's.
You're selling the farm. Arias and Shaw shouldn't be in trade talks. Wicks is a really valuable centerpiece. Triantos should be enough of an addition.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
A couple things...

Jesus Luzardo is really freaking good. He was also on IL with elbow discomfort, but just made a really good first rehab start. Perhaps the elbow concern allows you to get a top end starting pitcher for a little cheaper than normal.

Javier Assad has definitely shown his worth. You want to protect him a bit too. He's also been <120IP in each of the last five full seasons. I don't think it's the end of the world to let him work out of the pen in those 2-3 innings stints for a while. There inevitably will be more injuries and he's show the ability to jump back and forth from bullpen to starting. Might be the way to keep him closer to 150IP on the year.

Wesneski/Brown are in similar Assad situations. Shown the ability to swing back and forth and pitch longer relief stints. I think they can see the same thing happen, so that all three keep innings in check, stay fresh and eat a lot of bullpen innings (which we need!)

Tanner Scott may not be perfect, but I wouldnt be turning my nose up at any bullpen help. Especially one who misses a lot of bats (even with the walks).
Assad. Wesneski. Brown. Wicks

Brown has the makings of Steele with velocity. With our depth that probably steers him to the pen.

Wicks done a fantastic job with what he has. With Horton already at AAA I think Wicks will always be a depth guy.

Assad v. Wesneski. Definitely think you want Assad getting more innings so he gets the rotation spot making Wesneski the LR/ emergency starter. Wicks could absolutely do this job but Wesneski has shown he can excell in both aspects.

Steele
Imanaga
Taillon
Assad
Horton

Hard to see us doing much better than that.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The Cubs definitely need a closer. But I feel it's a bit of a catch 22:
  1. If Hoyer deems the need immediate, the pool of closers on the market is likely limited to a handful of teams that really suck: Marlins (Scott), W-Sox (Kopech), Houston (Hader), LAA (Estevez), and Rockies (?). And Hader's contract at 5 years @ $19M is ugly.
  2. Hodgepodge together a bullpen for the next 45-60 days with expectation more closers will be on the market.
While the 2nd option isn't ideal, it might be necessary because teams looking to trade now should be able to command a bigger trade return. But if the Cubs FO feels like their MiLB prospect pool is deep, why wait.

IMO the bright spot is the Cubs have a surplus of arms on the 40 man roster to lean on and maybe a couple can step up. Also, the strength of this roster has been starter arms. So Counsell can lean on guys (Brown, Wesneski, Smyly) who can pitch 2-3 inning of mid-relief vs. accumulating innings on guys like Leiter, Almonte, Alzolay, Neris and Palencia.