***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Yes the bullpen has a lot of issues but they will etlither get it figured pit or use some of the prospect depth to address it

People don't understand the bullpen could look completely different on October 3rd than it does on May 3rd. A couple of guys will settle down and be reliable, we'll probably add a couple arms at the deadline, we'll have more depth and long relief guys once Steele and Wicks are healthy, and it's likely at least 1 guy from the minors emerges late in the year.

If I remember right, in 2016 CJ wasn't even called up until around the 4th of July, and Chapman and Montgomery were added at the deadline. Those were the last 3 guys to pitch in the post-season that year.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
What's funny is I'm one of the most positive posters in this thread but anything I say negative meets backlash. I really don't give a **** but it is ironic.

So let me ask you are you ok with Swanson's absolute refusal to do any type of situatuonal hitting? I mean if he was a 30 HR guy I could see it but he's league average at the plate. You'd think he'd make some type of effort.

He's in a funk right now but I want to see if he can work his way out of it. He's been too good over his career I will.give him some slack for now. Wasn't just a few weeks ago people were wondering about Hoerner and look at him now. It's a long season, guys are going to go through hit and cold stretches at the plate.

The offense doesn't concern me as much as the bullpen. I keep thinking the bullpen will eventually work itself out like it usually does but so far we're wasting some good starting pitching efforts. Taillon looks more like the guy from the 2nd half of last season and not the bum he was the 1st half, Shota was been amazing, and Assad, Wesneski, and Brown have done well filling in for injured guys. Last few years having 3/5 of the rotation on the IL would have been a disaster as we had no quality depth at Iowa.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
He's in a funk right now but I want to see if he can work his way out of it. He's been too good over his career I will.give him some slack for now. Wasn't just a few weeks ago people were wondering about Hoerner and look at him now. It's a long season, guys are going to go through hit and cold stretches at the plate.

The offense doesn't concern me as much as the bullpen. I keep thinking the bullpen will eventually work itself out like it usually does but so far we're wasting some good starting pitching efforts. Taillon looks more like the guy from the 2nd half of last season and not the bum he was the 1st half, Shota was been amazing, and Assad, Wesneski, and Brown have done well filling in for injured guys. Last few years having 3/5 of the rotation on the IL would have been a disaster as we had no quality depth at Iowa.
I guess what bugs me most about Swanson is he was described by former teammates as a winner. He does way to much that looks like who gives a ****.

• Dumb
Reactions: clonebb

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
What's funny is I'm one of the most positive posters in this thread but anything I say negative meets backlash. I really don't give a **** but it is ironic.

So let me ask you are you ok with Swanson's absolute refusal to do any type of situatuonal hitting? I mean if he was a 30 HR guy I could see it but he's league average at the plate. You'd think he'd make some type of effort.
Most positive?? I thought you were just a "sky is falling" type person. Now I think you might delusional.

Nobody is saying the Cubs are a perfect team, or even close! But you post like every mistake is a mountain, rather than a mole hill. Baseball is a marathon and not a sprint.

It's fun to debate/discuss the good, bad & ugly of the players. But also step back and appreciate the Cubs are playing .588 ball after 34 games. No reason to borrow trouble.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Was at the I Cubs game today. Horton certainly has the stuff but couldn’t find the strike zone today multiple times. Looking at his stats, should just be a one off as he only had two total walks in his four April starts. Rest of the pitchers today were… woof. Walk after walk and hit after hit.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
On the optimistic side, Steele, Wicks, and Hendricks could all be back this week. This would slide Assad, Brown, and Wesneski to the bullpen.

Then in July you get Horton and Merryweather.

That’s 5 of 8 replacements alone. My guess is Neris, MLJ, and Almonte would be protected.

But assuming health, there are blue skies ahead.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
On the optimistic side, Steele, Wicks, and Hendricks could all be back this week. This would slide Assad, Brown, and Wesneski to the bullpen.

Then in July you get Horton and Merryweather.

That’s 5 of 8 replacements alone. My guess is Neris, MLJ, and Almonte would be protected.

But assuming health, there are blue skies ahead.
If they move Assad to the bullpen I'll freak out.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Next 3, Steele, Imanaga, Wesneski.
Brown likely first to go to the pen.

Gonna be tough to justify bringing Hendricks back with Steele, Imanaga, Wesneski, Taillon, Assad. But I'm sure they will. I guess if they option Wesneski down then Hendricks bombs we'll see Horton early in July.

• Agree
Reactions: RoseClone

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I’m not pounding the table for it but Imanaga, Taillon, and Steele are locks. Hendricks would be released before they try him in the pen. And I just don’t see them moving Wicks out of the rotation, but I guess that’s possible

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Speculation per Kaplan that we’re talking to Miami about pitching, possibly Tanner Scott and Jesus Luzardo.
I think the word is out after trading Arraez that they are going to be big sellers this year

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I’m not pounding the table for it but Imanaga, Taillon, and Steele are locks. Hendricks would be released before they try him in the pen. And I just don’t see them moving Wicks out of the rotation, but I guess that’s possible
Wicks would likely be in the deal to Miami.

• Agree
Reactions: RagingCloner

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Next 3, Steele, Imanaga, Wesneski.
Brown likely first to go to the pen.

Gonna be tough to justify bringing Hendricks back with Steele, Imanaga, Wesneski, Taillon, Assad. But I'm sure they will. I guess if they option Wesneski down then Hendricks bombs we'll see Horton early in July.
Would hope Wesneski has earned a roster spot. I would think the main reason to send him down would be to keep his arm strong enough to throw 100 pitches if needed in Chicago at some point.

Based on performance, my preference would be to send down or DFA in the following order: Brewer, Thompson, Lovelady. Works out pretty well with Steele, Hendricks, Smyly and Wicks all on IL. The trade market should start getting active- the Cubs could afford to trade Wesneski, Wicks if they can get a solid closer in return.