Modest Proposal for Hilton Lighting

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Isn't the updated Hilton Board suppose to be a little more Horizontal (wider) than the current one? Thought I read that but I could be wrong.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Why don't crowds at games seem as loud as they used to? This isn't just a Hilton/college basketball thing I notice it in the NFL too. I'm assuming crowds are just as loud so it must be something with the microphones?
I think part of it is broadcasting things in 5.1 surround. If you just have the built-in TV speakers, or don't have your surround turned on, I'm guessing it plays the center channel only which should focus primarily on the commentators.

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha
Iowa State has to have at least 3 bids.
I assume they have some workaround because they awarded it to Daktronics as a single bidder. Potentially because it's a specialty scope of work or something similar.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I assume they have some workaround because they awarded it to Daktronics as a single bidder. Potentially because it's a specialty scope of work or something similar.

Ya maybe I guess, I dont know. When I worked their we had to have 3 bids to get equipment. I haven't worked at ISU for 6 plus years.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'd be willing to bet Daktronics helped them put the RFP together.
Did that all the time at my old job. Had to have the University/Gov person I was working with put the specs I gave them on the bid. Really knocks out the competition pretty quickly.

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha
Since we are talking about it, it also looks like they awarded the sound system upgrades for Trice, Hilton, and other sports properties today to Diversified out of New Jersey. Not really sure who they are but I do think everything on the sound side was supposed to be installed prior to next season so it'll be a nice improvement.

https://iastate.ionwave.net/PublicDetail.aspx?bidID=1901&ret=AWAR&title=sound

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
I imagine most of it was the cameras CBS brought in, but I honestly wonder if the white out helped a little bit. It's just like when there's snow on the ground at night to reflect any existing light. It seems brighter.

Reactions: clydeclone