Modest Proposal for Hilton Lighting

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Why don't crowds at games seem as loud as they used to? This isn't just a Hilton/college basketball thing I notice it in the NFL too. I'm assuming crowds are just as loud so it must be something with the microphones?
I think it's partially the fact that people care less I think about sports than we used to, ESPN (and others) are spending as little as possible on production so the mics aren't tuned correctly (no idea what I'm talking about BTW) or not as many mics in the arena. And I personally think Hilton isn't as loud as it used to be (down years plus COVID hurt the crowd and student section culture), but it's getting better, the last two wins especially were great.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
This is why I am really REALLY hopeful (foolishly so) that Yormark's grand plan is to package Big XII basketball by itself and sell the rights to CBS/TNT/TBS. The exposure and prestige that would come with being the premier CBB product on those networks would be gigantic.
I hope that too, get us off ESPN and to somewhere that cares. Better production, CBS actually had human beings at the game, and multiple of them!

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Why don't crowds at games seem as loud as they used to? This isn't just a Hilton/college basketball thing I notice it in the NFL too. I'm assuming crowds are just as loud so it must be something with the microphones?
It was very obvious several times during the game vs KU and the Chiefs vs Ravens that the crowd noise was being suppressed during times they were chanting obscenities. The audio is definitely engineered considerably. Watching the big games on the alternate cameras (sky camera etc) is interesting for games like the national championship game because you only hear the crowd noise and not the announcers.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
If you're watching the game on TV to see the crowd, you're doing it wrong.
Rowdy college basketball crowds are a major reason we all like cbb (for me at least). Our crowd especially makes us special and is better marketing than anything the AD could buy, so yeah I want to see it, like it used to be.

Man waves fist and yells at lights

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
using a CBS national audience production vs an Iowa State womens game on ESPN+ is apples and oranges.

At least use an ESPN/ESPN2 broadcast to compare.

I do think its the production, though.

Pretty sure it's our own cameras for ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN+.

The ESPN ones are usually fine for resolution but look different, or even off, on color or white balance. Seems like CBS is pushed toward white/blue and our camera look more daylight or very soft white.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
It does look like they awarded everything from their scoreboard bid last fall which means Hilton's new board will be going in soon and we will have way bigger video boards at Trice too. I don't remember if everything gets installed this year or next though.
Did Daktronics get the bid or someone else?

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha
Did they award the larger screens in Jack Trice?
Part of the RFP was to bid just replacing the current size as well.
Does it say which option they chose?
Yes it looks like they awarded it all. Should be a nice add to the atmosphere.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
CBS coverage was better in every way compared to ESPN. The announcers were great too. Damn shame we can’t play on CBS more.
This is a big reason why Yormark will want to split FB and BB rights in the future. The Big 12 will be the premier BB conference and they can sell those BB rights for a lot of money. Might be a reason why Gonzaga and UConn make sense.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
CBS coverage was better in every way compared to ESPN. The announcers were great too. Damn shame we can’t play on CBS more.

Agreed but in fairness this was also their flagship game that got the best personnel and equipment.

However, ESPN still needs to make investments into its production quality for ESPN+ events, or help guide the schools on what to do if they are the ones "producing".

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
It does look like they awarded everything from their scoreboard bid last fall which means Hilton's new board will be going in soon and we will have way bigger video boards at Trice too. I don't remember if everything gets installed this year or next though.
I would think that putting in a new scoreboard in Hilton would not take that long. I have no expertise in it, but it seems to me they could knock it out this summer.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I didn't realize we were getting new video boards for Jack Trice. Seems like it was only yesterday when those were installed... :oops:

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I didn't realize we were getting new video boards for Jack Trice. Seems like it was only yesterday when those were installed... :oops:
Quick look at my photo feed and I think we got the north scoreboard in 2011.
The 5 year kid in that picture is graduating this year.......

• Wow
Reactions: cstrunk

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I would think that putting in a new scoreboard in Hilton would not take that long. I have no expertise in it, but it seems to me they could knock it out this summer.
It shouldn't. I was involved in putting in new scoreboard (a lot bigger than ISU's) and other display boards and we only had the floor for about a month.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Quick look at my photo feed and I think we got the north scoreboard in 2011.
The 5 year kid in that picture is graduating this year.......
Sounds right. Was thinking 2010 or 2011.

Help Support Us

Become a patron