Melvin with a historic day vs. TCU

nyclone

Feb 5, 2014
I am just glad that Ejim didn't get injured being left in the game to run up his stats. A lot of teams don't take too kindly to that and may take it upon themselves to plant him 5 rows deep in the stands on a drive to the rim. If that was against Huggins at West Virginia Ejim might not have walked out of there without crutches. Risky move by Hoiberg.
Seriously? You didn't even watch the game. Get outta here!

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I am just glad that Ejim didn't get injured being left in the game to run up his stats. A lot of teams don't take too kindly to that and may take it upon themselves to plant him 5 rows deep in the stands on a drive to the rim. If that was against Huggins at West Virginia Ejim might not have walked out of there without crutches. Risky move by Hoiberg.

Wow, just wow. I think you misspelled your user name. Drop the "coach" and replace it with "L"

Cubsfan

Feb 9, 2009
Des Moines
I think the most impressive thing to me was he did this by shooting 20 for 24. He scored his points in the flow of the offense, didn't force things, didn't try to be the hero. He just played his game and it payed off. So happy for Melvin. He's a great guy off the court as well and he deserves this long overdue attention.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Nothing funny about it. Outside of Ejim we did not look good offensively. Most of that was because of TCU. Anyone can beat anyone on any given night although right now I am very concerned about WVU.

Yeah, I've been thinking this too, but I didn't want to ruin Melvin's historic night.

But outside of him, we looked bad I thought. TCU had no business hanging with us, and they did. With a couple minutes left, I think it was a 9 pt game. And this TCU team is horrible.

We definitely played down to our competition today, with the exception of Ejim of course.

For the love of Fred....you two can find the tub of sh** at the other end of any rainbow, can't you? Since it apparently wasn't obvious to you, take a look at the stat line....27 assists on 32 field goals made. What tonight was...was a group of guys deciding that they could win this game no problem, let's do something better, let's make it Melvin's night. They were doing everything they could to make Melvin the hero as long as the game wasn't in jeopardy. Even when it got close, they just doubled down on making Mel the hero. This team knows what Mel is to them, and that the recognition he gets isn't in line with how important he is, so they took this chance to make it his night.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
For the love of Fred....you two can find the tub of sh** at the other end of any rainbow, can't you? Since it apparently wasn't obvious to you, take a look at the stat line....27 assists on 32 field goals made. What tonight was...was a group of guys deciding that they could win this game no problem, let's do something better, let's make it Melvin's night. They were doing everything they could to make Melvin the hero as long as the game wasn't in jeopardy. Even when it got close, they just doubled down on making Mel the hero. This team knows what Mel is to them, and that the recognition he gets isn't in line with how important he is, so they took this chance to make it his night.

Thisis right, teams can't be up for every game. ISU coasted tonight, Kane wasnt even trying to score, and that is not a knock on him at all. This game was never in question, and it won't be in Fort Worth either.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Please. You are trying way to hard to be a DB. Just let it come out organically.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

You know? It wasn't even this. Our offense was fine. When someone goes 20-24 you freaking find them whenever you can. That's what Monte and DeAndre and Georges did.

Our defense in the second half was poor. Very poor. But that's life. It was our first game after a murderer's row of 9 games (8 of which were ranked when we played them or were ranked the week after).

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
You know? It wasn't even this. Our offense was fine. When someone goes 20-24 you freaking find them whenever you can. That's what Monte and DeAndre and Georges did.

Our defense in the second half was poor. Very poor. But that's life. It was our first game after a murderer's row of 9 games (8 of which were ranked when we played them or were ranked the week after).

Hey, you might be right, but it sure wasn't the "Oh, if it wasn't for Ejim, we suck" like the two I quoted would make it out the be.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Wow, just wow. I think you misspelled your user name. Drop the "coach" and replace it with "L"

Ejim took 5 of Iowa State's last 6 shots and was taking shots 11 seconds into the shot clock with a minuted left in the game up by double digits. Take off your ISU googles; Ejim was out there trying to hit fifty and the entire team was trying to get him there, Hoiberg included. 2:09 left in the game, ISU timeout, followed THREE seconds later by an Ejim jumper.

Hats off to Ejim for an awesome performance. 20-24 is amazing. I am just happy that TCU didn't take offense to the stat chase in the last two minutes or so and take matters into their own hands.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Ejim took 5 of Iowa State's last 6 shots and was taking shots 11 seconds into the shot clock with a minuted left in the game up by double digits. Take off your ISU googles; Ejim was out there trying to hit fifty and the entire team was trying to get him there, Hoiberg included. 2:09 left in the game, ISU timeout, followed THREE seconds later by an Ejim jumper.

Hats off to Ejim for an awesome performance. 20-24 is amazing. I am just happy that TCU didn't take offense to the stat chase in the last two minutes or so and take matters into their own hands.

God, you are really a ****. Iowa State couldn't stop TCU, so YES they did need someone to score in the last few minutes. And in case you didn't notice, Ejim was the one that was scoring. There was NOTHING about Ejim's performance that was in any way showboating or showing up TCU.

Most players and coaches aren't jackasses like Kansas players and coaches so they would likely not try and hurt a player intentionally.

I hate Kansas with the fire of a thousand suns. Your team annoys me beyond reason. Your coach annoys me more than anyone. Your fans are pretty stupid. But the fact that you hang out here to troll us tells me that Iowa State annoys you guys too. You hate the fact that Hoiberg is a good coach. You hate the fact that both Melvin and DeAndre have had better seasons than a Kansas player has. Hats off to Kansas for beating us twice this year, but you'll never convince me that your guys didn't want that game more than a normal conference game.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

The portion I bolded isn't even true. You're a bad troll and a liar.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines

It's called a win win. Melvin gets a well deserved record and pub and you get to be happy.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny

If Hoiberg was trying to run it up, then he did a poor job of doing so since he took Ejim out of the game when he could have gotten another bucket

Dingus

May 23, 2013

You seem to be fairly up on ISU basketball, so I'm surprised you don't seem to be aware of two things:

1. Hoiberg is very conservative when it comes to pulling his starters. We generally have to be up 20+ and under 2 minutes. He isn't about to lose a winnable game cause a team makes a run near the end if he can help it. There definitely have been blowouts where I wish subs would have gotten more PT.

2. IIRC Kane has been pulled within spitting distance of triple doubles on multiple occasions. Hoiberg easily could have left him in to get that last assist and rebound or whatever and never does.

Also, it was an 11 pt game with under 2 minutes to play. That's definitely still a ballgame.

Last edited:

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
You seem to be fairly up on ISU basketball, so I'm surprised you don't seem to be aware of two things:

1. Hoiberg is very conservative when it comes to pulling his starters. We generally have to be up 20+ and under 2 minutes. He isn't about to lose a winnable game cause a team makes a run near the end if he can help it.

2. IIRC Kane has been pulled within spitting distance of triple doubles on multiple occasions. Hoiberg easily could have left him in to get that last assist and rebound or whatever and never does.

First rule of being a KU fan...the truth is what you determine it to be...just as it is with fouls.