Liberty Bowl postgame thread

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
I love Bowl Games, and I think they are important. I think winning the Liberty Bowl would have been really good for ISU and the Trophy Case.

However, I was neither surprised nor upset about yesterday's loss by ISU. As a fan, I do not underestimate G5 teams especially in their home stadium. While not a gambler, when I saw ISU -10.5, I figured that was an easy money win for whoever took Memphis.

As for the game itself. Memphis looked very prepared, and they have some really good athletes. They cared more, and it showed. Good on them. They should have been prepared and fired up, and they deserve the trophy.

As for ISU, at least they were entertaining. Rocco is such a stud, and I cannot wait to see him next year! At least, the game was fun to watch. Can you imagine being an Ohio State who trekked to the Cotton Bowl to smell that 3-14 egg?

So, while finishing 7-6 again is kind of a drag, it sure beats the hell out of 6-5 (with no Bowl), 4-6-1, 3-7-1, 4-7, 3-8 and 0-10-1 that I sat through during the last 5 years of the Walden Era with NO HOPE (except for that slight glimmer of sunshine in 1989).

Looking forward to the new Big 12;
Let's win 8 in 2024;
Let's Go State!
This post is why we will never get better than we are.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Because of fans on message boards?
giphy.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Because of an overall attitude in the fanbase and in the program that mediocrity is all we deserve or can obtain.

That's going to affect how the team does?
How do you know the program is expecting mediocrity?

What do you think is attainable for Iowa State football?

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
This.

He plays Mt. Union style, no matter what.

Just assumes execution is the difference between a win and a loss.

ISU let a lesser opponent put up 530 yards and 36 points against them yesterday.

ISU had no sacks, 1 tackle for loss, and forced no turnovers.

ISU gave up 166 rushing yards, while rushing for zero yards.

ISU was favored by double digits, and lost by double digits.

There is a large contingent of fans on this site that not only find this acceptable, they will actually defend it.

All the problems we pointed out after the Ohio loss were just as evident yesterday.

$4 million dollars per year. For this.
ISU got outschemed and outcoached on both sides of the ball. Our offensive and defensive lines were outplayed. The entire defense was outplayed. That was obvious to everyone. What's the alternative to accepting that we lost? Deny we lost? Quit? As everyone keeps saying, we faced the same situation after losing to Ohio. They got better and had a pretty good season.

Reactions: dirtyninety

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I guess that would be one of my postgame thoughts: What happened to the Sama from K-state? I think you might be on to something here. He seemed timid yesterday and I think always wants the biggest play he can get.

We had much bigger issues but, the way Sama plays is a concern for next year

We weren't playing on 2 inches of ice and snow......in a nutshell. As fun as that game was since we won....the Defense gave up what, 75 points?
K-state had one week to prepare. Memphis had three weeks to watch video of our shot gun snap, zone-read parody, hand off 8 yards deep and 2 seconds after snap standing still basic Mt Union play. Credit to the belichick brain trust at Memphis for figuring that out.

• Winner
Reactions: riceville98

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
We weren't playing on 2 inches of ice and snow......in a nutshell. As fun as that game was since we won....the Defense gave up what, 75 points?
K-state had one week to prepare. Memphis had three weeks to watch video of our shot gun snap, zone-read parody, hand off 8 yards deep and 2 seconds after snap standing still basic Mt Union play. Credit to the belichick brain trust at Memphis for figuring that out.
Dirty has joined the Rotters!!! Long may they rot!!

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
That's going to affect how the team does?
How do you know the program is expecting mediocrity?

What do you think is attainable for Iowa State football?
It blatantly obvious that mediocrity is not only acceptable by the fanbase, but actually applauded by a large segment of the fanbase. Read t hi s board.

Campbell says all the ‘right things’, kinda…but there is zero evidence that he can deliver. He is a terrible game day coach, we are consistently sloppy and do not win the in the margins. He needs to sack up and fix it. He hasn’t and I don’t think he can.

He has undoubtedly brought some solid talent to the program, but has shown little ability to develop that talent.

People spend a lot of money and time on this team. They are invested. They have a right to ask questions and be upset about losing. All of these holier than though assbags laughing at people for being passionate about their school and football team are a joke.

Millions and millions of dollars go into this program and I can’t imagine how someone thinks it is ok to not be able to block or tackle.

At the bare minimum, millionaires that coach a game deserve to be criticized when they don’t deliver when they SHOULD deliver.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Lmao

Get informed or stfu

Purdy regressed here and developed bad habits
By the end, even when there was a pocket to step up into Purdy either peeled out early or threw off his back foot.

The Clemson game in quarters 2-4 the OL pass protected great vs a talented front. A couple plays were symbolic. Deep in ISU territory Clemson stunts, the OL creates a massive pocket. The RT works the DL WAY outside and he takes a route that is so wide and deep that he should have no chance at a sack. Absolutely textbook blocking on a stunt. And Purdy bails early and runs into a DL that had run himself out of the play and gets sacked.

On the TD to Kolar there was a pocket he should’ve stepped up into, but he throws it off his back foot and fits it in.

Years of bad pass protection will do it, but Purdy was very poor mechanically when he left ISU. He worked with a QB guru to fix his throwing mechanics, and he is making incredible throws into tight NFL windows.

In terms of footwork, throwing mechanics and working in the pocket, Purdy is a totally different QB. He has always been tough, smart, athletic and a guy that can throw pretty accurately. But the pass pro was bad, and even when it wasn’t, Purdy didn’t know how to work with a well blocked pocket.