Liberty Bowl postgame thread

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I think some people think they're actually on the team. Imagine being embarrassed because a team I'm not a part of didn't play well in a game that doesn't matter, lol. Get lives, people.

I agree. F it. Let's get Steve Prohm back along with Wayne Morgan as his assistant. And while we are at it...let's see if Paul Rhoads would come back with Tom Manning as the OC.

• Wow
Reactions: Cyhops and Bob f

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
He has said numerous times it’s not about the winning. KF on the other hand has said winning is all that matters.
Have you ever word the words "coach speak?"

We could have a dead player on the roster and MC wouldn't flinch and tell the media that we do.

Reactions: madguy30

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Why do people on this site think we can only have two things with Iowa State football?

We all can acknowledge that we have a horrible football past and that we don’t want to go back to that.

CMC has elevated our program where we expect bowl appearances and bowl wins.

That doesn’t mean we have to settle for these types of things. Asking for CMC to change doesn't mean we want to go back to the Rhoads or Chizik era, it means we want him to acknowledge his faults and improve upon them.

In an era of college athletics where your football image is everything, Iowa State really can't afford to keep losing these types of games.

Every single loss but 2 this year (OU and Texas), were due to coaching.

bizzle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
NY, NY
Is there evidence of this actually being a thing that happens? Do people actually believe it?

I think this is kind of the crux of the issue. All of the CF staff on various podcasts repeatedly said this; Jamie used it as a selling point. You can't really be surprised at or blame people for reacting this way when they have been told this repeatedly.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
He's right though.

CMC would rather lose his way than throw caution to the wind and go for the big win.

Guy's as predictable as the dawn.
So when we went for it on 4th and 1 on our first series he wasn't throwing caution to the wind?
Got it.

Reactions: NENick

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Hopefully CMC is embarrassed that he got destroyed by Scates and Jeff Myers…. but I doubt it. Winning doesn’t matter to him…. as long as we learned our lesson and we continue to improve from this.
I appreciate the hyperbole

Is winning the only thing that matters to him outside of Big 12 play?

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
The people who I feel for the most are the ones who spent the money to go there. Saw basically 0 people online talking about having a good time, weather looked like it sucked, and most traveled a lot of hours for a team who acted like they didnt even want to be there for the most part. Gross
I went to the 2017 Liberty Bowl and while I had a great time, it was something I'd only do once.

For me personally, Memphis is not far enough south for a bowl game and once again, Iowa State had terrible weather in a Liberty Bowl.

And Memphis is just...............Memphis.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I love Bowl Games, and I think they are important. I think winning the Liberty Bowl would have been really good for ISU and the Trophy Case.

However, I was neither surprised nor upset about yesterday's loss by ISU. As a fan, I do not underestimate G5 teams especially in their home stadium. While not a gambler, when I saw ISU -10.5, I figured that was an easy money win for whoever took Memphis.

As for the game itself. Memphis looked very prepared, and they have some really good athletes. They cared more, and it showed. Good on them. They should have been prepared and fired up, and they deserve the trophy.

As for ISU, at least they were entertaining. Rocco is such a stud, and I cannot wait to see him next year! At least, the game was fun to watch. Can you imagine being an Ohio State fan who trekked to the Cotton Bowl to smell that 3-14 rotten egg?

So, while finishing 7-6 again is kind of a drag, it sure beats the hell out of 6-5 (with no Bowl), 4-6-1, 3-7-1, 4-7, 3-8 and 0-10-1 that I sat through during the last 6 years of the Walden Era with NO HOPE (except for that slight glimmer of sunshine in 1989).

Looking forward to the new Big 12;
Let's win 8 in 2024;
Let's Go State!
Really?? Now we're dragging in Jim Walden? Is Campbell's team practicing on a grass lot that doubled as a parking lot on gameday? Good grief...

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Big KF fan?

Nope. Not at all.

But I do give him credit for certain things. You ever see his team show up and compete like we did yesterday on the OL and defense?

Maybe against Stanford, but Stanford was REALLY good too…. Memphis isn’t.

KF knows that football will ALWAYS be won in the trenches, and by the team that makes the least mistakes. ISU is the team that almost always makes the most mistakes…. but some games we are good enough to overcome them.

CMC would have won probably 2 games with the team Iowa had this year, and with their schedule. Just being totally honest.

But I like CMC more as a person than KF.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Nope. Not at all.

But I do give him credit for certain things. You ever see his team show up and compete like we did yesterday on the OL and defense?

Maybe against Stanford, but Stanford was REALLY good too…. Memphis isn’t.

KF knows that football will ALWAYS be won in the trenches, and by the team that makes the least mistakes. ISU is the team that almost always makes the most mistakes…. but some games we are good enough to overcome them.

CMC would have won probably 2 games with the team Iowa had this year, and with their schedule. Just being totally honest.

But I like CMC more as a person than KF.
Kirk Ferentz would have brought his son back next year because he's stubborn.
Their OL has been poor since Doyle quit.
They have an elite D coordinator.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I'm not sure if you meant it this way, but this is an incredible endorsement of Campbell. He has the highest winning percentage in like the last 100 years of Iowa State football, and he did it without even caring if he won any games. That's borderline miraculous.
It’s a testament to Iowa State and reinforces that those that use obsolete eras and say things like “in 100 years” are being idiots

Paul Rhoads went to three bowls. He won 7 games in Year 1. Rhoads is a bad HC and CMC’s staff is better than Paul’s staff, but it’s not THAT difficult to win here.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Still amazed how much stock some people around here are putting into a single game. This team over achieved for the season. They have a great corp of young talent that learned on the fly this year.

I enjoyed the season. And next season looks promising. None of that changed from yesterday’s game, a game which wasn’t even shown highlights during halftime at cotton bowl

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron