Lanning versus Richardson.

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
For the record, if I was choosing between experience or youth/potential, I would favor experience.

You can't make that statement absolutely without context. One thing is certain (i.e., SR's additional experience will help us in no way next year) and one thing is extremely likely (i.e., JL will be on the team next year). Another thing that was certain when the decision was made was that we were clearly not going to do anything amazing this year. In making this decision, at worst JL gives us a slightly less chance to win, and at best he gives us a better chance than SR. The proper long term approach is to get someone experience and some tape on a guy that will very likely be around next year versus continuing down a futile path with a guy that clearly doesn't have it. I applaud CPR for taking the longer term perspective.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Yeah, I'm not sure where that number came from. Last 10 games in Norman:

2013 L, 10-48
2011 L, 6-26
2010 L, 0-52
2006 L, 9-34
2002 L, 3-49
1998 L, 14-17
1994 L, 6-34
1992 L, 3-17
1990 W, 33-31
1988 L, 7-35

The 28 point total is true if you go back to 2002. So maybe they meant "10 years" and not "10 games".

You're going to make me cry talking like that.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
There is no doubt that many fans were hoping for a change in quarterback as the season progressed. With many losing teams, one of the most loved players on the team is the second string quarterback. A change at quarterback is the one position that can have the largest impact on the performance of a team. The option to Coach Rhoads was to continue playing a quarterback with a lot of experience and knowledge of the offense, who struggled at times, or play a younger inexperienced player who in the long run may have more upside. The short term concern is the games remaining this year and the long term concern is nest year and beyond. What is best in the long term is to play Lanning now. Get him experience now and he will be a much better quarterback starting next fall. I think there was a difference of opinion between coach Rhoads and Mangino concerning the short term. I think that Coach Mangino favored experience.

As fans we are going to watch the last several games and watch Lanning progress through these next few games and we are going to be asking ourselves if Coach Rhoads made the right move for the end of the year. To date Lanning played well against Baylor and had a solid game against Texas. Against Oklahoma, he looked like a quarterback who was starting his second game. In the games in which Sam Richardson started this year the Cyclones averaged more than 26 points and overall the fans were not happy with his performance. It will be interesting at the end of the year to see the average the Cyclones score in games Lanning starts.

For the record, if I was choosing between experience or youth/potential, I would favor experience.
valid points. I will always like Sam, and have defended him for a long time. But, I think we need to be more effective at running the ball for any QB to have success. That includes the QB position, and I think lanning is a more effective runner. I agree with others, the Oklahoma game is not a great barometer as that is without a doubt the best defense we have played this year. But, lanning's accuracy seems to less than Sam. All things considered, I reluctantly think lanning is the best option. Reluctant, only that I like Sam. I do think we need a juco QB in this next class.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I agree. He moved the ball consistently. Seems like we were inside their 30 six or seven times, which is historically great. We just broke down as the field condensed. He did make some bad throws (almost all low), but he also had some drops that didn't help.
Kinda like sam did against TCU but many thought he sucked in that game.

What Lanning did against OU and Texas is a lot of what the iSu offense has done forever. Moved the ball well between the 20s but not put up points. Yes, the offense scored 24 points against Texas but Texas is allowing 29 per game and 25 in conference and has yet to play baylor and TT. On top of that their offense sucked. iSu punted six times and turned it over on downs another against Texas.

We saw a lot of the same things versus Texas and OU that we have seen when Richardson was QB. decent drives that stall, a QB that holds the ball too long, dropped balls at the worst times, penalties at bad times, etc, etc. heck, against OU, Lanning didn't even run the ball much like Richardson hasn't all year.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Kinda like sam did against TCU but many thought he sucked in that game.

What Lanning did against OU and Texas is a lot of what the iSu offense has done forever. Moved the ball well between the 20s but not put up points. Yes, the offense scored 24 points against Texas but Texas is allowing 29 per game and 25 in conference and has yet to play baylor and TT. On top of that their offense sucked. iSu punted six times and turned it over on downs another against Texas.

We saw a lot of the same things versus Texas and OU that we have seen when Richardson was QB. decent drives that stall, a QB that holds the ball too long, dropped balls at the worst times, penalties at bad times, etc, etc. heck, against OU, Lanning didn't even run the ball much like Richardson hasn't all year.

Except with SR he's been doing that for 4 years, with Lanning I'd say the jury is still out. And please, don't compare what happens against OU, who I feel is clearly the best team in the league, to what happened against TCU, who has been proven to be a fraud somewhat.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
There is no doubt that many fans were hoping for a change in quarterback as the season progressed. With many losing teams, one of the most loved players on the team is the second string quarterback. A change at quarterback is the one position that can have the largest impact on the performance of a team. The option to Coach Rhoads was to continue playing a quarterback with a lot of experience and knowledge of the offense, who struggled at times, or play a younger inexperienced player who in the long run may have more upside. The short term concern is the games remaining this year and the long term concern is nest year and beyond. What is best in the long term is to play Lanning now. Get him experience now and he will be a much better quarterback starting next fall. I think there was a difference of opinion between coach Rhoads and Mangino concerning the short term. I think that Coach Mangino favored experience.

As fans we are going to watch the last several games and watch Lanning progress through these next few games and we are going to be asking ourselves if Coach Rhoads made the right move for the end of the year. To date Lanning played well against Baylor and had a solid game against Texas. Against Oklahoma, he looked like a quarterback who was starting his second game. In the games in which Sam Richardson started this year the Cyclones averaged more than 26 points and overall the fans were not happy with his performance. It will be interesting at the end of the year to see the average the Cyclones score in games Lanning starts.

3dp_nutellalock_frodo.gif

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
It seems impossibly bad, even for us, but that's what was put up on the screen during the game.

Edit: Just checked and it is actually incorrect. It's only correct versus a Stoops led Sooner team in Norman. Regardless, it's still pathetic. As a side note, I stumbled across a cool website that always you to check the history between two teams with a ton of information.

http://www.winsipedia.com/oklahoma/vs/iowa-state

Neat website. According to it, the most we've ever beaten OU by is 13 point in the very first game in the series in 1928! Haha.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Lanning just needs time. He has a better release, stays in the pocket better, has a stronger arm, is bigger, faster, stronger just keep your pants on kids.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Except with SR he's been doing that for 4 years, with Lanning I'd say the jury is still out. And please, don't compare what happens against OU, who I feel is clearly the best team in the league, to what happened against TCU, who has been proven to be a fraud somewhat.

But the jury isn't out on Rhoads, although there still are an amazing group of diehards out there. I think he's saying more about the coaching staff than the QBs. Yeah, Richardson's been doing it for four years, but, it was Steele before him, Tiller and Arnaud before that. There is a pattern here. A pattern of decently touted, talented QBs who come to ISU and underperform. I mean seriously underperform.

I don't think anyone doubts that Lanning has the tools, it's a matter of putting him in the right position to use them. This staff, seems intent on doing the oppisite with their QBs.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
But the jury isn't out on Rhoads, although there still are an amazing group of diehards out there. I think he's saying more about the coaching staff than the QBs. Yeah, Richardson's been doing it for four years, but, it was Steele before him, Tiller and Arnaud before that. There is a pattern here. A pattern of decently touted, talented QBs who come to ISU and underperform. I mean seriously underperform.

I don't think anyone doubts that Lanning has the tools, it's a matter of putting him in the right position to use them. This staff, seems intent on doing the oppisite with their QBs.

I've always thought those guys + SR were totally overrated and really not that talented. I like Lanning way more than I like any of those guys. Lanning has something, I'm not sure if it will translate to success as a QB at ISU. He probably would have had a better impact if he would have made the switch to LB or gone and played Pro Baseball. those other guys you can't say that about, they were just victims of the ISU fan overhype our own players syndrome.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Support for Lanning does not necessarily coincide with support for the head coach.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
valid points. I will always like Sam, and have defended him for a long time. But, I think we need to be more effective at running the ball for any QB to have success. That includes the QB position, and I think lanning is a more effective runner. I agree with others, the Oklahoma game is not a great barometer as that is without a doubt the best defense we have played this year. But, lanning's accuracy seems to less than Sam. All things considered, I reluctantly think lanning is the best option. Reluctant, only that I like Sam. I do think we need a juco QB in this next class.
I think both are effective running the ball when allowed. I don't think it is really a secret that Mangino didn't want the QB running much. Lanning will be more effective running in the power game though. Although he wasn't very effective last week and I doubt he will be again this week. Lanning will be just fine IF we implement a KSU power run spread offense.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Reading issues? ...I compared what happened against Texas AND OU to what happened against TCU.

But just to appease you...

We punted six times against Texas and turned it over on downs another. 8 out of twelve drives yielded no points against a poor Texas team. Seven out of ten drives against TCU yielded no points. Both games had one 3 and out. both games had 4 play drives. One game had two fumbles and one in the red zone. One didn't have any. 461 total yards agasint TCU. 426 total yards against Texas.

There...I took OU out of the equation and I am not pining for Sam. I want a KSU type of spread and Lanning is a better fit. Just saying you are blinded by your hate for him

Last edited: