Lanning versus Richardson.

cyborg

Oct 18, 2006
There is no doubt that many fans were hoping for a change in quarterback as the season progressed. With many losing teams, one of the most loved players on the team is the second string quarterback. A change at quarterback is the one position that can have the largest impact on the performance of a team. The option to Coach Rhoads was to continue playing a quarterback with a lot of experience and knowledge of the offense, who struggled at times, or play a younger inexperienced player who in the long run may have more upside. The short term concern is the games remaining this year and the long term concern is nest year and beyond. What is best in the long term is to play Lanning now. Get him experience now and he will be a much better quarterback starting next fall. I think there was a difference of opinion between coach Rhoads and Mangino concerning the short term. I think that Coach Mangino favored experience.

As fans we are going to watch the last several games and watch Lanning progress through these next few games and we are going to be asking ourselves if Coach Rhoads made the right move for the end of the year. To date Lanning played well against Baylor and had a solid game against Texas. Against Oklahoma, he looked like a quarterback who was starting his second game. In the games in which Sam Richardson started this year the Cyclones averaged more than 26 points and overall the fans were not happy with his performance. It will be interesting at the end of the year to see the average the Cyclones score in games Lanning starts.

For the record, if I was choosing between experience or youth/potential, I would favor experience.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Experience doesn't mean **** at 1-20 or whatever SR was as a starter in conference. The only thing he was experienced in was losing.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
ISU scored, before Saturday's game, a grand total of 28 points in the last 10 meetings in Norman. That game can't be counted as a negative for Lanning. Quite the opposite actually.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
No doubt there will be growing pains with Lanning. But IMO, he's already shown me more than enough in his first couple of games to know he is the starter.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I was really hoping for an octagon fight discussion or arm wrestling or something like that....

I have nothing but respect for Sam, I know he has been through a lot as the QB and leader of Iowa State, I know he will be successful in whatever he goes on to do in life. I truly believe it is time to move on with Lanning and should have been earlier in the season than it was. On another note I would really like to see him find the field for a few surprise snaps on Saturday as a senior ans still a true leader of this team....

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
ISU scored, before Saturday's game, a grand total of 28 points in the last 10 meetings in Norman. That game can't be counted as a negative for Lanning. Quite the opposite actually.

I agree. He moved the ball consistently. Seems like we were inside their 30 six or seven times, which is historically great. We just broke down as the field condensed. He did make some bad throws (almost all low), but he also had some drops that didn't help.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
There is no doubt that many fans were hoping for a change in quarterback as the season progressed... . Against Oklahoma, he looked like a quarterback who was starting his second game....

Agree with most of what you are saying, but only problem is that if Sam played in the Sooner game, he probably would have looked like he was starting his second game as well. For me, it's all about confidence and pressure decision making and I would give the edge to Lanning at this point.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Even with the OU game a Lanning led ISU has outscored OU, Texas, and Baylor 67-62 in the 10 quarters since he was given the keys as quarterback. #McCarneyStat

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
In order to achieve her dreams, Rose had to let go of Jack Dawson. Cyborg, can you let go of QBSBR, and help the Cyclones achieve their dreams?

Last edited:

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
IF ISU was going to win 6+ games and SR was the reason - i say you keep him. This team may get to 5 wins (if they are lucky), they will do it by running the ball and keeping the defense off the field (see TX game). SR has been the QB for a number of years and was unable to do that. Plus he is done in 3 weeks and Lanning has 2 more years - give him all the reps he can get now and let's see what things play out for next year.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames

Holy smokes! Can that be true? ISU only averaged 2.8 points per game in the last 10 games in Norman? I haven't looked at the records, but that has to be false. I know it is bad, but not that bad.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Holy smokes! Can that be true? ISU only averaged 2.8 points per game in the last 10 games in Norman? I haven't looked at the records, but that has to be false. I know it is bad, but not that bad.

It seems impossibly bad, even for us, but that's what was put up on the screen during the game.

Edit: Just checked and it is actually incorrect. It's only correct versus a Stoops led Sooner team in Norman. Regardless, it's still pathetic. As a side note, I stumbled across a cool website that always you to check the history between two teams with a ton of information.

http://www.winsipedia.com/oklahoma/vs/iowa-state

Last edited:

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL

Yeah, I'm not sure where that number came from. Last 10 games in Norman:

2013 L, 10-48
2011 L, 6-26
2010 L, 0-52
2006 L, 9-34
2002 L, 3-49
1998 L, 14-17
1994 L, 6-34
1992 L, 3-17
1990 W, 33-31
1988 L, 7-35

The 28 point total is true if you go back to 2002. So maybe they meant "10 years" and not "10 games".

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california

Not quite, ISU has only scored 28 points in the last five meetings in Norman. So, really boosting that scoring average up to a healthy 5.6 points/game.

2013 - 48-10
2011 - 26-6
2010 - 52-0
2006 - 34-9
2002 - 49-3

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Yes, SBR was the more experienced QB running that offense, but that offense was dog crap. JL is the right QB to be running a Colin Klein/pistol offense. He looks comfortable in the run game, and hopefully we are heading more in that direction.

OU was just a beast defensively. And we always suck there.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com

I believe it without looking it up.
Arnaud got shut out down there. The 2011 team had 6 points (?)only a week after beating the undefeated cowboys. 2013 team was down like 14-7 at halftime then got murdered going scoreless in the 2nd half. Seneca put up 3 down there. Danny Mac was probably slaughtered down there in 2006. Norman is ***-kickery for iowa state.