Indian Hills coach fired

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
C'mon surveyor where you at? We gotta get to the bottom of this.

Surly she meant he was "a" coach, not head coach.....

Ha, I guess she must have meant an asst head coach or something because she was mid twenties probably. :wink::wink:

She knew what she was talking about. She started naming off all of the IHCC players that they have had transfer to D1, including all the ISU guys. I hadn't heard about McKay's brother either otherwise I would have asked about that.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
It is entertaining basketball, lots of athletes, if you go, make sure to go when they're playing Southeastern CC, quite a rivalry.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Kind of an off topic question, but has anyone been to an Indian Hills game? I've been considering going for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it. Is it worth the drive to Ottumwa?

If you go the right game, it may be worth it. They have good rivalries with the other in state juco programs, especially Southeastern and Iowa Western. Those games are usually pretty exciting basketball and things usually get chippy. In the last decade or so there has been more than one brawl involving IHCC. Even without that stuff, there is a good chance you'll see 8 or 9 D1 caliber guys. A few years back I attended the IHCC game at Iowa Western and there was something like 11 guys who eventually ended up at d1 programs (including Hogue and McKay!). IHCC is fun to watch, they press the entire game, everyone who suits up plays and they are as athletic as most division 1 teams. You are guaranteed to see some highlights. I saw McKay have a dunk (alley oop off the backboard from Gary Riggs who plays at Drake) at Iowa Western that was one of the best I've seen in person.

I live close to Iowa Western and try to get to a few games a year, the IHCC game is always a must attend.

Last edited:

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
I'm pretty intrigued to see who takes over now at IHCC. I talked with a few people while I was down in Hutch and they made it sound like things just weren't right this year for the team. I got there the day after they lost but the team they lost to didn't impress me when I watched them. Hopefully they get things figured out, they are always fun to watch in Hutch.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
Kind of an off topic question, but has anyone been to an Indian Hills game? I've been considering going for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it. Is it worth the drive to Ottumwa?

The game I went to last year was like Capital City League with some pressing.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Hey fun fact, I believe that Jess Settles said yesterday on Sports Fanatics that he coached for a year or two with Terry Carroll at Southeastern. Did not know that.

That was quite the brawl though that IHCC had at Southeastern but it cost McKay and Houge a chance at the national tourny that year. That crowd is brutal.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I figured it would be higher as well, but then I saw that they are just a 3800 student school. That's not terrible. I mean, there are a lot of Div. 1 coaches probably making in the 300-500K range.

I can't believe my juco coach even got paid honestly. It was a joke of a job. But Indian hills is a harder gig, we got crushed by them every year.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012

If you don't want to drive down to beautiful Ottumwa :)wink:) you could catch them when they play at Marshalltown CC. That's a conference game.