Indian Hills coach fired

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I am a little surprised that they came out and fired him after this year. You could tell later in the year though that the team had issues and were not playing well together. Still never heard how/why Jameel McKay's brother left or got kicked off the team. I kind of expected the coach to resign or leave for another job instead of getting fired. There were definitely issues between players and the coach which is a little unexpected as that was a big part of why they hired him after being Peery's assistant.

I also wonder how or if Manyang will become eligible next year for OU as he didn't play for like 17 games in a row and then showed back up for tourny time.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
This is kinda funny. I was at a happy hour last week for a friend in town at the Burg & Barrel of Overland Park the after the Big 12 tournament. Waitress commented on a bunch of us wearing Iowa State gear and said her fiancée was the head coach at Indians Hills CC. They are getting married soon and she was hoping he would be landing a new job because she didn't want to move to Ottumwa.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This is kinda funny. I was at a happy hour last week for a friend in town at the Burg & Barrel of Overland Park the after the Big 12 tournament. Waitress commented on a bunch of us wearing Iowa State gear and said her fiancée was the head coach at Indians Hills CC. They are getting married soon and she was hoping he would be landing a new job because she didn't want to move to Ottumwa.

Was she hot? I know...I'm a pig.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Serious question, it says they will conduct a national search to replace him. Do community colleges always do a national search for these positions, or do they just have a history of success where they simply always have? I guess I always kind of figured community colleges took the best high school coaches they could find.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I will settle for only $75k to be a college basketball head coach. Make the check out to "CyFan61."

You really think $75K is enough for that job? You have to live in Ottumwa, you know. And you'd be coaching a lot of kids who've never been out of a large city, and trying to keep them out of trouble. In Ottumwa.

Did I mention this job is in Ottumwa? (And yes, I used to live there.)

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
His bio on the Hills website says he is married with four kids and four grandkids.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
His bio on the Hills website says he is married with four kids and four grandkids.

Last edited:

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
That makes a lot more sense as you don't fire a coach after one year, especially since he got them to Hutch. I don't think he was ready for the job of recruiting and well, babysitting, these players who have all sorts of backgrounds.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
That makes a lot more sense as you don't fire a coach after one year, especially since he got them to Hutch. I don't think he was ready for the job of recruiting and well, babysitting, these players who have all sorts of backgrounds.
...and she must have been hot at the burger joint.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Barret Peery, former head coach at Indian Hills, left for Arizona State last year to be an assistant for Herb Sendek. Well, Sendek was just fired from ASU. Maybe Indian Hills may try to bring Peery back.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I watched a few games...I'm not an IHCC expert by any means but the team had serious issues off the court. I lost track of how many players were suspended during the year or left the team. It was was several...like 3-5 I want to say. No clue if that played a role but was not a good year at IHCC.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

I know this dude is like 50-60 years old, but maybe that doesn't mean anything..

C'mon surveyor where you at? We gotta get to the bottom of this.

Surly she meant he was "a" coach, not head coach.....

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Kind of an off topic question, but has anyone been to an Indian Hills game? I've been considering going for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it. Is it worth the drive to Ottumwa?