Financial Aid Advice

LSGOST8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2011
Ames
FYI, you will get a 2500 tax credit unless you make 500k a year or something like that. Don’t be a rear and eat that, at minimum you should pay that much of your kids cost.
If your talking about the American Opportunity tax credit, I believe the income limits are $80k or $160k filing jointly.

• Agree
Reactions: flycy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If your talking about the American Opportunity tax credit, I believe the income limits are $80k or $160k filing jointly.
90/180. Now be serious, if you make 180 in Iowa and can’t afford an extra 18k or so a year for a kids schooling, you may want to check your spending.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I would suggest trying to set up a meeting with someone in the UW Financial Aid. They should be able to give you some good insight into where and how you can get financial aid.

Both of my kids went to Iowa State, but we live in Indiana. The first year, scholarships were offered based on their application to Iowa State. No extra work was required. Some were four year scholarships and some were one year scholarships. With the second child, she applied for additional scholarships each year through the University. That happened around Dec.

As for financial aid, Iowa State reviewed the FAFSA and told us what loans or grants our kids qualified for. This normally happened in the spring. As others have mentioned, FAFSA was delayed this year, so I am not sure when that will happen. It always seemed very late in the process to me.

In our case, I found Iowa State to be more generous with scholarships and aid than Universities in Indiana and even other out of state schools my kids applied to. Iowa State ended up being a less expensive for my kids than Purdue or Indiana. I hope Wisconsin is generous to your son. I think he will get a great education and an excellent degree.

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
I would suggest trying to set up a meeting with someone in the UW Financial Aid. They should be able to give you some good insight into where and how you can get financial aid.

Both of my kids went to Iowa State, but we live in Indiana. The first year, scholarships were offered based on their application to Iowa State. No extra work was required. Some were four year scholarships and some were one year scholarships. With the second child, she applied for additional scholarships each year through the University. That happened around Dec.

As for financial aid, Iowa State reviewed the FAFSA and told us what loans or grants our kids qualified for. This normally happened in the spring. As others have mentioned, FAFSA was delayed this year, so I am not sure when that will happen. It always seemed very late in the process to me.

In our case, I found Iowa State to be more generous with scholarships and aid than Universities in Indiana and even other out of state schools my kids applied to. Iowa State ended up being a less expensive for my kids than Purdue or Indiana. I hope Wisconsin is generous to your son. I think he will get a great education and an excellent degree.
Oh, thank you SO much. (And a serious, heart-felt thank you to everyone!)

We have orientation the second week of June. I'm looking forward to a small trip and seeing the campus. Anxious to talk with financial aid when we're there.

We completed FAFSA in early January. Still haven't heard...

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
It may make a difference which community college you go to. I know DMAAC uses tons of adjuncts ...

I went to NIACC in Mason City in the 90's. All of my STEM teachers were old gray hairs. I think most had masters degrees, but I don't really remember.

Not sure what it is like there today.

H

Reactions: carvers4math

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yup, that's part of growing up. We want our kids to grow and learn and sometimes being away, being alone, away by themselves help their development.
This is worth its own thread but the stuffs you mentioned are so valuable. Added with other things, like getting along with roommates (esp if the school assigns your roommate(s) ) finding new friends, getting to know people, experiencing rejection(s), etc. Hopefully that would make them well-rounded people

I mean this sincerely, I don’t mean to detract from people’s experiences but a huge number of people learn all of that without going to college. I think that stuff is totally overrated.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I went to a CC before transferring to Iowa State, and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The pre-engineering program at the CC was setup by Iowa State, so I knew everything would transfer cleanly.

On top of being affordable, I think it was a better education. Calculus in a giant university auditorium is just not an ideal situation. My community college calc class had about 20 students in it.

H
Never in my 7 semesters of calculus did I have class in a giant auditorium at ISU. I can't remember, but math 165 might have been a TA or young professor, but probably 20-30 in the class.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
#1 joined the Iowa National Guard and is coasting through with no financial headaches with just a summer job.

#2 took a year after high school to work and save money and was able to bank the first two years before starting at Iowa, has an on-campus job and works her butt off summers and breaks. She should be able to graduate with less than $40k owed.

The important thing is to have a plan.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I 100% agree!
FWIW, there are plenty of MOS' that are not life threatening.
Just presenting it as an option.
Is there and age limit to enlisting after college? My Son is starting ISU in the Fall but has been out of school working for a few years. He's 22 now so would be around 26 when he graduates.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
My four ISU engineers all knew people that did this and none of them finished in four years. Was not great for the core engineering coursework. Not sure if it has improved.
My daughter, who is in accounting at ISU now, went to a CC and got her AA before transferring. They told her all of her classes would transfer and she would be a junior at ISU so would graduate in 2 years. Very few of her credits ended up transferring and it will take her 3.5 more years:mad:

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
#1 joined the Iowa National Guard and is coasting through with no financial headaches with just a summer job.

#2 took a year after high school to work and save money and was able to bank the first two years before starting at Iowa, has an on-campus job and works her butt off summers and breaks. She should be able to graduate with less than $40k owed.

The important thing is to have a plan.
My #2 is very similar. #1 is pretty much opposite. Tried to get him to go in the service or learn a trade but he thought he could get a job, live on his own and save enough to pay for college. He finally learned that isn't going to happen. Now he's back home, trying to save and starting ISU in the Fall.

Sorry for derailing OP. FAFSA is a pia btw :)

Reactions: Die4Cy

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I mean this sincerely, I don’t mean to detract from people’s experiences but a huge number of people learn all of that without going to college. I think that stuff is totally overrated.
I agree with you in regards to what the person posted, you can get that stuff just by moving out of the house and finding a roommate.

The stuff that really matters is the networking, relationships and knowledge built during those first few years. Being in an area surrounded by people your own age going through a similar journey is irreplaceable and simply doesn’t exist outside the college experience.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I agree with you in regards to what the person posted, you can get that stuff just by moving out of the house and finding a roommate.

The stuff that really matters is the networking, relationships and knowledge built during those first few years. Being in an area surrounded by people your own age going through a similar journey is irreplaceable and simply doesn’t exist outside the college experience.

I think where the discussion gets confusing is no one is saying everyone should go to a 4 year university. But, at the same time, a person shouldn't have to choose between over $100,000 in student loans and a 4 year degree. Just like some people aren't made for college, some people aren't made for careers that don't require traditional college.

Reactions: cyclone13

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Is there and age limit to enlisting after college? My Son is starting ISU in the Fall but has been out of school working for a few years. He's 22 now so would be around 26 when he graduates.
Looks like all of the Branches take people into their 30s.
Depends on the Branch and the MOS, I suppose.
A healthy 26 year old should have no problem.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I went to NIACC in Mason City in the 90's. All of my STEM teachers were old gray hairs. I think most had masters degrees, but I don't really remember.

Not sure what it is like there today.

H
It’s the equivalent of a slightly advanced HS.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My daughter, who is in accounting at ISU now, went to a CC and got her AA before transferring. They told her all of her classes would transfer and she would be a junior at ISU so would graduate in 2 years. Very few of her credits ended up transferring and it will take her 3.5 more years:mad:
Their schtick (at least NIACC’s is) that their credits transfer. They used to say classes but that turned out to be false, so they say credits now. It does you little good to have 60 credits but only 15 of those credits work for classes that transfer.

CC can work for one year, otherwise you will add semester/s to your time at ISU.

Second, my kids have told me that there is still that weird stigma to transfers from CC instead of those starting at ISU. Ones who start at ISU feel like they weathered the storm together, so they have that bond. The CC kids felt like the players who are grad transfers and are there for a year or so and gone.

• Agree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think where the discussion gets confusing is no one is saying everyone should go to a 4 year university. But, at the same time, a person shouldn't have to choose between over $100,000 in student loans and a 4 year degree. Just like some people aren't made for college, some people aren't made for careers that don't require traditional college.
If they have 100k they made poor decisions.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Their schtick (at least NIACC’s is) that their credits transfer. They used to say classes but that turned out to be false, so they say credits now. It does you little good to have 60 credits but only 15 of those credits work for classes that transfer.

CC can work for one year, otherwise you will add semester/s to your time at ISU.

Second, my kids have told me that there is still that weird stigma to transfers from CC instead of those starting at ISU. Ones who start at ISU feel like they weathered the storm together, so they have that bond. The CC kids felt like the players who are grad transfers and are there for a year or so and gone.
This is where people go wrong when going the CC then 4 year route. They just take the classes at their CC without doing research into what transfers. When you go CC, you need to be talking to their advisors and transfer advisors about what will transfer. If you're looking at 2-3 4 year schools, you need to be using the tools out there to know what transfers to each of those schools. Many 4 year schools (at least out here in NY) will have a spreadsheet of what actually transfers from school to school. It is constantly changing so the student needs to make sure they're getting good advise from their CC advisor (usually professors).

Edit: Adding the equivalency document for classes from NIACC to ISU as a reference for people. These types of documents are out there for many, many schools.

Last edited:

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Never in my 7 semesters of calculus did I have class in a giant auditorium at ISU. I can't remember, but math 165 might have been a TA or young professor, but probably 20-30 in the class.
Depends on your schedule.

My calc 1 was a small section led by a grad student but it met MTWF 5-6pm.
My calc 2 was a 200-person section with a prof MWF with recitation 1 day a week.
My calc 3 was about 100 students with a prof in the Marston auditorium.
Diffy Q felt like roughly 40 students.

Did you never take chem or physics? Those were always huge sections

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Everything has been delayed by the issues with studentaid.gov this year. Kids who were accepted last fall are graduating high school in just a few weeks and still have no financial aid offer from prospective schools due to the problems.

My kids already at university know to get into the student portal and apply for scholarships for fall but I think the window on many of them are closing now (if not already) and for new students may not be an option for them their first term. Hopefully there are extensions coming.