Financial Aid Advice

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
Updates and thoughts:

1. FAFSA taken care of. Takes a drop out of the bucket for tuition. {eye roll}
2. Orientation the second week of June! My student's last day is May 31; mine is June 6. Then a fun-filled few days.

Here's a thought - and feel free to talk me off the ledge. Rather than a student loan, why not take advantage of the tax benefits and take out a home equity loan or line of credit?

Now, I haven't thought it all through but something that's been bouncing around my head... {shrug}

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Updates and thoughts:

2. Orientation the second week of June! My student's last day is May 31; mine is June 6. Then a fun-filled few days.

Here's a thought - and feel free to talk me off the ledge. Rather than a student loan, why not take advantage of the tax benefits and take out a home equity loan or line of credit?

Now, I haven't thought it all through but something that's been bouncing around my head... {shrug}

Reactions: Joe4Cy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Updates and thoughts:

One person I read is very against parents taking out loans if the kid can take out a loan. The idea is that it’s better for the parents to save for retirement etc.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Updates and thoughts:

Assuming you don't qualify for any need based aid, correct? Drawing funds from a HELOC could affect that eligibility. I'd also check into whether using HELOC dollars for college vs. home upgrades would qualify for interest tax deductions.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Updates and thoughts:

Yeah, I would NOT advise this. Good way to need a new roof but you can't because little jimmy is on his fifth year of 15th century basoon playing.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Updates and thoughts:

Don't do it - some old neighbors refinanced their house both times their kids went to college. They now owe $30k more than their original mortgage in 2006 because they used their house as an ATM. So, imagine after living in your house for 18 years, you owe more than the original mortgage just to pay for your kid's college tuition.

Your kids should take out the student loans in their name, not you taking out the loan. It allows your student to start building a credit report.