empty stadium in shreveport

C

CyBer

Here's my point: it doesn't really benefit Missouri to have a fan base that travels well to insignificant bowl games.

It's FAR more important to have a fan base that goes to your HOME games than to a minor bowl. Mizzou has that now...despite the mediocre record, they still ranked in the Top 25 for attendance this year.

Sure, it's nice to be thought of as a fan base that travels to bowl games, but how does that benefit your team? It's not like you get more money...it's pooled in the conference. There's no extra exposure...no one but hard-core football fans watch ANY bowl before New Year's, unless their team is playing.

If Missouri (or any other BCS team) gets 6 wins, they're bowling. I personally don't think that 7-5 teams deserve a bowl game (not a popular view around here I assume). But if my 7-5 team gets a bowl game, all I care about is the win. Independence, Pinstripe, Texas, Holiday, Insight...I don't care.

So unless you're playing for real stakes, then one bowl is just as good as another. Take the extra practices, treat the players to a good time, get the win.

I'll catch it on TV.

You suck at that too, I bet you have never even been to a "home" game. I know it hurts that Missouri sucks, and you love that team so much that you post it on everyone else's boards. But get it through your thick redneck skull that nobody likes you here, and you aren't going to fit in on this board. You can post whatever you want, but you aren't going to get responses that you like. But you are too dumb to understand that, because you have been around forever.

We know you love the SEC, go jerk off on the Mizzou board
We know you think Missouri is a great team, go jerk off on a Mizzou board
We know you think that you will do just fine in the SEC, go jerk off on a Mizzou board

If you weren't worried about going to the SEC you wouldn't be defending the move all the time on an IOWA STATE message board for ****s sakes.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
To Knoxville? Oxford? Athens? Hell yes.

No offense, but I grew up near Ames. I live 30 minutes from Ames. And I've had my fill of Ames.

Some folks love it. Some don't. To each his own.

As for Manhattan, Stillwater, Lubbock, etc., I'd lump them in with Shreveport. No thank you.

I'm more than willing to give up my own proximity to road games for more compelling matchups and the overall strength and stability of the university.

Maybe Lubbock, but Manhattan and Stillwater? No.

Enjoy the paradises known as Starkville, Gainesville, and Auburn.

Look, I agree that the SEC is more stable than the Big 12, but after that the main difference is that there 2 more teams in a given year that can compete for a national title. Your collective infatuation with the SEC is comical. These places/opponents are just new. Most of them aren't objectively "better" than what you know in the Big 12, they're simply new to you.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Its not affilliated with the Big 12. Mizzou got passed up by all Big 12 bowls.

Way to go mizzou you P***Ants!!!!!!!!!!!:twitcy:

Good ol' tiggers from columbia has such little Cache that they cant even get a conference bowl bid....

Hiliarious..:twitcy:

Good bye Mizzoou and welcome to the sec and LOSING....LOSING ..& LOSING some more....:yes:

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Goodness,

Mizzoulander has to be the most illogical fan I've ever listened to. He'll fit right in with the arrogance of the SEC. Soon he'll be on the Florida and S. Carolina boards convincing them that MU has a better team, facilities, history, and fanbase than any other SEC team.

I don't know why he can't man up and face the truth sometimes. He's trying to argue that an empty stadium at the Indy bowl is good for Mizzou's program, or at least doesn't hurt it? Ooof.

I saw he said that he knows he has made a good point when nobody responds to it. I don't think he gets the message that 90% of us stopped responding to any point he made a long time ago.

I wonder if he will ever move on from here or try to recapture the old Big 8/12 days from the past...

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Goodness,

Mizzoulander has to be the most illogical fan I've ever listened to. He'll fit right in with the arrogance of the SEC. Soon he'll be on the Florida and S. Carolina boards convincing them that MU has a better team, facilities, history, and fanbase than any other SEC team.

I don't know why he can't man up and face the truth sometimes. He's trying to argue that an empty stadium at the Indy bowl is good for Mizzou's program, or at least doesn't hurt it? Ooof.

I saw he said that he knows he has made a good point when nobody responds to it. I don't think he gets the message that 90% of us stopped responding to any point he made a long time ago.

I wonder if he will ever move on from here or try to recapture the old Big 8/12 days from the past...

GREAT POST Cyman ...........Or is it GRATE POST?....:yes:

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
Goodness,

There's illogical...and then there's just plain wrong. Where have I said that Missouri's team, facilities, history are better than the SEC? They're not.

You're missing the whole point. I'm saying that history, traveling to bowls, TV markets, etc. are fun for fans to argue about, but they don't matter ONE BIT when determining who's the better team.

This year, Missouri is a better team than Iowa State. Not because of stadium attendance, or number of fans overall, TV interest, or historical record. But only because they had a better overall record, better conference record, and won head-to-head. That's it. For the same reasons, Baylor is a better team than Missouri. None of the other stuff matters (except to fans on a message board)

I don't believe that crappy attendance to crappy bowls is a significant detriment to a program. Feel free to argue with me. But at least focus on what I say, and not on imaginary stuff about how it's "good" for the program or fictional posts about how Mizzou will dominate the SEC (they won't).

Better yet, follow your own advice and STOP RESPONDING. Put me on your ignore list...please.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
There's illogical...and then there's just plain wrong. Where have I said that Missouri's team, facilities, history are better than the SEC? They're not.

You're missing the whole point. I'm saying that history, traveling to bowls, TV markets, etc. are fun for fans to argue about, but they don't matter ONE BIT when determining who's the better team.

This year, Missouri is a better team than Iowa State. Not because of stadium attendance, or number of fans overall, TV interest, or historical record. But only because they had a better overall record, better conference record, and won head-to-head. That's it. For the same reasons, Baylor is a better team than Missouri. None of the other stuff matters (except to fans on a message board)

I don't believe that crappy attendance to crappy bowls is a significant detriment to a program. Feel free to argue with me. But at least focus on what I say, and not on imaginary stuff about how it's "good" for the program or fictional posts about how Mizzou will dominate the SEC (they won't).

Better yet, follow your own advice and STOP RESPONDING. Put me on your ignore list...please.

It does when it comes down to who decides who goes to a better bowl game.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Um, it's not just Mizzu... Every bowl game has had terrible attendance and all of the remaining ones probably will too... The average of the games that have been played have had announced attendance of right around 40,000 with actual attendance averaging under 20,000.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
You have gotta be ******** me with the last comment..there was a reason a 6-6 ISU team passed an 8-4 Missery team in 09...Missou SUCKS at traveling.. probably the worst in the BIG 12... Yeah good luck with the buzz saw of a schedule next year.. maybe you can win 4 games... and maybe a game in the conference.

Maybe so. Here's next year's schedule:

MISSOURI
Sept. 8: GEORGIA
Sept. 22: at South Carolina
Oct. 6: VANDERBILT
Oct. 13: ALABAMA
Oct. 27: KENTUCKY
Nov. 3: at Florida
Nov. 10: at Tennessee
Nov. 24: at Texas A&M

They also play AZ State at home and most likely 3 non-BCS teams.

Does anyone think that, based on this, Missouri absolutely CAN'T duplicate its record from this year (7-5)?

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Um, it's not just Mizzu... Every bowl game has had terrible attendance and all of the remaining ones probably will too... The average of the games that have been played have had announced attendance of right around 40,000 with actual attendance averaging under 20,000.

Um, that was the worst attended bowl game by two auto qualifier conference teams that I have ever seen and I do watch a lot of bowl games. If that had been ISU, we would have never heard the end of it. Quit making excuses for that terrible display of fan support by Missouri. There literally was no one there. Maybe you didn't actually see the game. Embarrassing for those teams. End of story.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Maybe so. Here's next year's schedule:

MISSOURI
Sept. 8: GEORGIA
Sept. 22: at South Carolina
Oct. 6: VANDERBILT
Oct. 13: ALABAMA
Oct. 27: KENTUCKY
Nov. 3: at Florida
Nov. 10: at Tennessee
Nov. 24: at Texas A&M

They also play AZ State at home and most likely 3 non-BCS teams.

Does anyone think that, based on this, Missouri absolutely CAN'T duplicate its record from this year (7-5)?

I agree with your point that Missouri can win just as many games. The SEC is the best conference usually but not by much. They do have better athletes top to bottom there, but their quarterbacks and offenses are not very good.

The problem for Missouri will be the lack of Texas recruiting and the distance to games. I think they will regret the move in the long term, but they will do fine in an overhyped SEC.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Um, that was the worst attended bowl game by two auto qualifier conference teams that I have ever seen and I do watch a lot of bowl games. If that had been ISU, we would have never heard the end of it. Quit making excuses for that terrible display of fan support by Missouri. There literally was no one there. Maybe you didn't actually see the game. Embarrassing for those teams. End of story.

I saw enough of it and could care less about bowl games... They are getting to be a stupid event that is nothing but a money grab. Thing is, there is so much disinterest in these games that the money is going to dry up soon. I would definitely wait until after Friday to start throwing stones and make sure there is more than 20k at Yankee Stadium.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
It does when it comes down to who decides who goes to a better bowl game.

What's "better?" Pinstripe or Independence? Car Care Bowl or Little Caesar's?

I'd say that none of them are "better." You don't get any more money for your school, and none of them have the atmosphere of a good college game.

When it comes to bowls, there's the NCG, then the BCS Bowls and some other big ones (Cotton, Cap One), and then all the rest (of which there are too many).

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
I saw enough of it and could care less about bowl games... They are getting to be a stupid event that is nothing but a money grab. Thing is, there is so much disinterest in these games that the money is going to dry up soon. I would definitely wait until after Friday to start throwing stones and make sure there is more than 20k at Yankee Stadium.

No. The Independence Bowl was the worst attended bowl game, by the eyeball. The Belk had an excellent crowd last night, and even the Detroit Bowl looked better last night than it has in years past.

It was a down year for the Independence - perhaps one of its worst. It looked like an Eastern Michigan game. It was really, really empty.

There will be way more than 20k at Yankee Stadium, although it will have the funny baseball/football game look to it.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006

Um, if there are 5000 ISU fans there it will be a heck of a lot more than Missouri or NC took to the game. Unless the stands are empty on all sides like the independence bowl, it wont be comparable. You keep saying 20000 like there were that many at that game. You must not have actually saw the stands then. One reporter estimated about 8000 TOTAL!!!!. I thought that was too many since I could literally count them individually.

I've never seen anything like it for auto qualifier schools. Evidently the press noticed it too. You may want to go back and see what you missed.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny

While it wasnt bad.... the NC State/Louisville game last night was 150 miles from NCST, and 300sih miles from Lville nad the place wasnt sold out.

Keeps crossing fingers that St Louis gets bowl game.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
While it wasnt bad.... the NC State/Louisville game last night was 150 miles from NCST, and 300sih miles from Lville nad the place wasnt sold out.

Keeps crossing fingers that St Louis gets bowl game.

Never say never. How many years has Detroit had a game? Didn't they do a game in Toronto for a couple years?

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny

Which is crazy because there have been so many great games!

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA

I will never be tired of the bowl system...far better > boring, stale NFL.

Some of attendance issues still may be due to economy still...

There will be far more then 20k at the game. Attendance will reflect better as the better bowls get underway.

Football is the king and always will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: ajk4st8