empty stadium in shreveport

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
Slightly off topic but I heard the other day that Mizzou has not won a Big12 championship in ANY sport!! Nothing at all since 1996?? Not wrestling, WBB, softball, or even golf??!! Can that be right?

They were the B12 Basketball Tourney champions in 2009... They've had a couple of other B12 tournament titles.

Their last regular season title was Softball in 1997. So you're a bit off.

Overall Mizzoulander and the other Missouri(yes not Mizzou, there are no Z's in your state's name) dbag posters on this site are annoying, but you guys really need to drop the obsession with Missouri. Yes their fan attendance is terrible, but all of these posts bashing them are getting as old as their annoying posters hanging around here. Just let them go be the new Arkansas of the SEC already. That way they can be mediocre for awhile until they figure out they need to cheat to be competitive.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
All I care about are wins and losses. I'm not so mindless as to blow a lot of money on some dumpy location during the holidays to watch two teams that never play each other. If I'm traveling for a football game, I'm going to a conference road game, with a better atmosphere and more reasonable prices.

You mean the two hour trip to Lawrence? What about the three hour drives to Ames or Manhattan? Oh wait, you have to make a vacation out of football road trips now. Sucks to be you!

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
I can always tell when I've made a really strong point around here. Nobody bothers to address it, but they always respond with some variation of:

"You'll get killed in the SEC!"
"You have no Big 12 titles!"
"Your fans don't travel!"
"You are imbreeders!"
And that's fine...trash talk keeps message boards in business. But if I responded to you with lame retorts like "52-17!" or stuff like that, you wouldn't think that I was being witty...you'd think I was being an *******. And none of us would be on the original topic.

Was Shreveport empty? Yep. Is that a bad thing for Missouri? Maybe, maybe not.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I can always tell when I've made a really strong point around here. Nobody bothers to address it, but they always respond with some variation of:
"You are imbreeders!"
And that's fine...trash talk keeps message boards in business. But if I responded to you with lame retorts like "52-17!" or stuff like that, you wouldn't think that I was being witty...you'd think I was being an *******. And none of us would be on the original topic.

Wait a minute. So what is your point then? Anyone can say they made a point, but actually making one is another story.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ

"You are imbreeders!"

You have gotta be ******** me with the last comment..there was a reason a 6-6 ISU team passed an 8-4 Missery team in 09...Missou SUCKS at traveling.. probably the worst in the BIG 12... Yeah good luck with the buzz saw of a schedule next year.. maybe you can win 4 games... and maybe a game in the conference.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
You mean the two hour trip to Lawrence? What about the three hour drives to Ames or Manhattan? Oh wait, you have to make a vacation out of football road trips now. Sucks to be you!

To Knoxville? Oxford? Athens? Hell yes.

No offense, but I grew up near Ames. I live 30 minutes from Ames. And I've had my fill of Ames.

Some folks love it. Some don't. To each his own.

As for Manhattan, Stillwater, Lubbock, etc., I'd lump them in with Shreveport. No thank you.

I'm more than willing to give up my own proximity to road games for more compelling matchups and the overall strength and stability of the university.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton

No offense, but I grew up near Ames. I live 30 minutes from Ames. And I've had my fill of Ames.

As for Manhattan, Stillwater, Lubbock, etc., I'd lump them in with Shreveport. No thank you.

I'm more than willing to give up my own proximity to road games for more compelling matchups and the overall strength and stability of the university.

Who needs rivalries right? Those are in no way compelling.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Have you seen Shreveport? Blytheville looks like a metropolis compared to it. Vicksburg is cosmopolitan compared to it.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

I think you mixed up your Oxfords.

Last edited:

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
Who needs rivalries right? Those are in no way compelling.

Define "rivalry." If you mean two teams that have played each other for a long time, yes that will change. If you define rivalry as two teams with an intense passion for playing and beating the other, then Missouri has one...barely.

KU fans don't show up for ANY games until they're team is winning. That rivalry is more about hate than competition now. It's best to let it rest for a few years...it will be back.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
"You are imbreeders!"

What was your strong point, that they didn't need you because it was a blowout?

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
Wait a minute. So what is your point then? Anyone can say they made a point, but actually making one is another story.

Here's my point: it doesn't really benefit Missouri to have a fan base that travels well to insignificant bowl games.

It's FAR more important to have a fan base that goes to your HOME games than to a minor bowl. Mizzou has that now...despite the mediocre record, they still ranked in the Top 25 for attendance this year.

Sure, it's nice to be thought of as a fan base that travels to bowl games, but how does that benefit your team? It's not like you get more money...it's pooled in the conference. There's no extra exposure...no one but hard-core football fans watch ANY bowl before New Year's, unless their team is playing.

If Missouri (or any other BCS team) gets 6 wins, they're bowling. I personally don't think that 7-5 teams deserve a bowl game (not a popular view around here I assume). But if my 7-5 team gets a bowl game, all I care about is the win. Independence, Pinstripe, Texas, Holiday, Insight...I don't care.

So unless you're playing for real stakes, then one bowl is just as good as another. Take the extra practices, treat the players to a good time, get the win.

I'll catch it on TV.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
It doesn't seem like Missouri really needed ME for this one...

Missouri Tigers vs. North Carolina Tar Heels - Recap - December 26, 2011 - ESPN

It probably does seem like me rationalizing, but most of know you how I feel about the bowl system. (it sucks) Everyone b!tches that there are too many worthless bowls, but shame on the fans that continue to buy tickets and patronize these garbage games.

You want to support your team? Make a donation. Buy season tickets. Rather than blow a bunch of money on some bowl destination, I'd rather spend my travel budget in Columbia, or in one of the college towns in the conference.

Judging from the rows and rows of empty aluminum in Shreveport, a lot of other fans agree with me.

You'll be 10th in avg attendance in the sec, so don't travel and don't stack up that well in your new conference.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
Has mizzery ever made a BCS bowl?

Nope. 12 wins in 2007, a #1 ranking at Thanksgiving...and no BCS bowl. It's late and I'm not going to look this up, but I THINK no team from a BCS conference has ever finished higher (#4) without playing in a BCS bowl game.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
Here's my point: it doesn't really benefit Missouri to have a fan base that travels well to insignificant bowl games.

It's FAR more important to have a fan base that goes to your HOME games than to a minor bowl. Mizzou has that now...despite the mediocre record, they still ranked in the Top 25 for attendance this year.

Sure, it's nice to be thought of as a fan base that travels to bowl games, but how does that benefit your team? It's not like you get more money...it's pooled in the conference. There's no extra exposure...no one but hard-core football fans watch ANY bowl before New Year's, unless their team is playing.

If Missouri (or any other BCS team) gets 6 wins, they're bowling. I personally don't think that 7-5 teams deserve a bowl game (not a popular view around here I assume). But if my 7-5 team gets a bowl game, all I care about is the win. Independence, Pinstripe, Texas, Holiday, Insight...I don't care.

So unless you're playing for real stakes, then one bowl is just as good as another. Take the extra practices, treat the players to a good time, get the win.

I'll catch it on TV.

This is exactly what my one friend who graduated from Mizzou said. My only question is, you say you support your team, yet you don't attend a bowl game and cheer them on. Some fans you are. The greatest fans stick with their team no matter what, whether it's a mediocre bowl game, the NC or a team that is 2-10. From what I see Mizzou doesn't have those fans.