Dowling Catholic's Ryan Boyle commits to the Hawks

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I don't think he ends up at QB. Most likely a LB or Safety.

I'm not so sure about that. McNutt completed 53% of his passes in high school. Boyle is far more polished as a passer than that, and he's definitely a top-notch athlete for the position with solid size. I think Davis would prefer to have a read option spread flavor to his offense, and Boyle is exactly the kind of player you'd picture running that kind of offense.

West Lyon's Brandon Snyder is the HS QB I see moving to the secondary, and I think he'll be very successful there. That kid is an outstanding athlete (suffered compartment syndrome last winter that kept him out of track, so he played golf and finished 6th at state; all-tournament team captain at the state basketball tournament and the best player on a dominating state champion football team).

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Iowa has had 1 losing season in the last 12 years.

Iowa also schedules at least 2 completely free wins per year and can with the Big 10 only playing 8 conference games.

They can also afford to buy enough home games to get 7 or 8 every year where ISU gets 6 or 7 a year.

I'm jealous and I wish ISU could have the same schedule as Iowa. It's not a knock on them for doing it, but it is what it is. And it works because in CFB people only care about wins and not who they were against.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Iowa also schedules at least 2 completely free wins per year and can with the Big 10 only playing 8 conference games.

They can also afford to buy enough home games to get 7 or 8 every year where ISU gets 6 or 7 a year.

I'm jealous and I wish ISU could have the same schedule as Iowa. It's not a knock on them for doing it, but it is what it is. And it works because in CFB people only care about wins and not who they were against.

Agree there are advantages in scheduling with only 8 conference games, but Iowa has never had 7 home games every year since 2009. I did not look back any further. In that time, we have also had 7 every year except 2011 and 2013. As far as the two free wins, we did have Tulsa and UNI last year. We have Toledo and ND State this year.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Agree there are advantages in scheduling with only 8 conference games, but Iowa has never had 7 home games every year since 2009. I did not look back any further. In that time, we have also had 7 every year except 2011 and 2013. As far as the two free wins, we did have Tulsa and UNI last year. We have Toledo and ND State this year.

I haven't and can't look at the schedules right now but that surprises me about the home game #.

Iowa's last non conference game is sometimes an Arizona State, but it is often a Western Michigan or a Ball State.

Iowa gets two directional schools a year and ISU gets one. Then that last game for Iowa is sometimes competitive, but often not.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I haven't and can't look at the schedules right now but that surprises me about the home game #.

Iowa's last non conference game is sometimes an Arizona State, but it is often a Western Michigan or a Ball State.

Iowa gets two directional schools a year and ISU gets one. Then that last game for Iowa is sometimes competitive, but often not.

Agreed-wasn't originally disagreeing with your point. But number of home games not really different and we play Toledo/ND State-similar to a MAC and directional schedule they usually do.

I have heard Ferentz often say they play a couple directionals, Iowa State and then a BCS-level program for the non-conference. That game would always have to be a home-away, so really a lot like a conference game. This year, for example, that game is Pittsburgh. That will all change, I believe, as I think they are going to a 9 game conference schedule. I think the Big 10 has even talked about a 10 game schedule.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL

We can't lose to UNI, multiple times over the last decade, at Jack Trice, then argue that Iowa has too many home games.

Also, Iowa hasn't had 8 home games once in the last decade. They have had 6 (like ISU) a few times, but never more than 7. Not sure where your getting those #'s.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
We can't lose to UNI, multiple times over the last decade, at Jack Trice, then argue that Iowa has too many home games.

Also, Iowa hasn't had 8 home games once in the last decade. They have had 6 (like ISU) a few times, but never more than 7. Not sure where your getting those #'s.

Go ahead and read two posts down.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
He's been at a few bonfires at my house before. Kid is a snob. I recall him throwing a fit one time because some girl didn't know who he was. Way too high on himself.

How can some high school girl not know who he is when there dozens of grown men going on and on about him on a message board. She is obviously not on Cyclonefanatic.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Name the last QB that Iowa has manufactured. They decide on a QB, play him for 4 years all the time and NEVER develop anything else. Then we wonder why Iowa sucks. Boyle while talented will never see his talents polished at Iowa. he will get comfortable with the bench and water cooler situation however. Ferentz doesn't develop skill position players. He develops lineman......

This post is incredible. Are you an Iowa State fan? I ask because it takes a lot of balls to call out another teams coach for not developing quarterbacks given your current coaches track record with quarterbacks.

RoseBowlBound

Sep 13, 2011
Iowa City via WDM
This post is incredible. Are you an Iowa State fan? I ask because it takes a lot of balls to call out another teams coach for not developing quarterbacks given your current coaches track record with quarterbacks.

Also, who was the last 4 year starter at QB for Iowa? Ferentz has never had one...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Also, who was the last 4 year starter at QB for Iowa? Ferentz has never had one...

If only there were an internet site devoted to conversations about EIU football! Please take your conversation there.

LesGoCY

Feb 7, 2014
He's been at a few bonfires at my house before. Kid is a snob. I recall him throwing a fit one time because some girl didn't know who he was. Way too high on himself.

That's a real "CHICKEN" shite post considering its coming from a known Dowling Catholic/Ryan Boyle hater...and an envious, recent Waukee graduate.

Last edited:

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
But but since Iowa offered, he must be good. He will be the next "diamond in the rough". I have read a lot of places this could cause Iowa to lose Beneventi, the "gem" of their class so far, so was it worth the offer. For ISU give me Joe Burrow - Yahoo! Sports over any quarterback in the 2015 class.
Joe Burrow will not come here unless his dad comes here. I don't think that will happen. They should have hired his dad instead of Douglas(not sure on name) a few years back.

tgraham1984

Apr 1, 2014
Not even trying to be a troll Hawk. I am a Hawk fan, but am curious if you guys think you will pursue him if you see a few of your targets fall through? Also, wondering what some of you think of the kid on a football level beyond bonfires. Have many here seen him play? Great videos imo but they are what they are....highlight videos

tgraham1984

Apr 1, 2014
Just checked out Burrow highlights and it took the first 10 seconds to see why you guys are so high on him. Reeeeeeealy good looking prospect. Ton of potential.

Help Support Us

Become a patron