Hy-Vee's weirdest business decision yet?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The organizational structure has really changed at the store level. Many smaller stores and especially in rural areas no longer have store directors. They have store managers who are governed by a regional director. These regional directors are your old store directors who were successful enough to hold these newer titles, and store managers are younger individuals with little experience and even fewer qualifications. I personally know two current store managers as they both worked for me when I was an assistant manager at a store 8ish years ago and let's just say I never would have dreamed these individuals would have reached the positions they are now in.

• Informative
Reactions: BACyclone and Kinch

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
That's because they can't find qualified people who want to handle the stress/work of running a store. Many people want a job that is 5 days a week, sitting in an office working 8 to 5, no weekends or holidays.
This is not factually correct. Hy-Vee went with this method to save money. It's very easy to find store directors for those small towns if they can make a lot of money. Some of those small stores were highly coveted.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
All of their clothing agreements and agreements with DSW have ended, and those sections have been removed from their stores. Nobody is forcing you to shop at Hy-Vee. If you dislike the store so much, go elsewhere.

While I agree with your premise, this is the kind of attitude that got Hy-Vee into this mess. They have a large following of customers who WANT to be brand loyal to them but they are either so arrogant or stupid with their decisions and pricing, it’s forcing those brand loyal customers to go elsewhere. I know we have.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The organizational structure has really changed at the store level. Many smaller stores and especially in rural areas no longer have store directors. They have store managers who are governed by a regional director. These regional directors are your old store directors who were successful enough to hold these newer titles, and store managers are younger individuals with little experience and even fewer qualifications. I personally know two current store managers as they both worked for me when I was an assistant manager at a store 8ish years ago and let's just say I never would have dreamed these individuals would have reached the positions they are now in.

Watching people fail up is always interesting.

I've seen it happen too often and the result is rarely a good outcome.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
This is not factually correct. Hy-Vee went with this method to save money. It's very easy to find store directors for those small towns if they can make a lot of money. Some of those small stores were highly coveted.
And you know this because you now work there? I retired after 32 yrs and have had 6 family members work for Hy-Vee 3 in upper management (one is currently a department manager). So at this time I talk with the one still working and one other who works for a major supplier and works with the current stores. He still knows many long time management people and has worked with many new ones. He hears the problems these people have daily.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
And you know this because you now work there? I retired after 32 yrs and have had 6 family members work for Hy-Vee 3 in upper management (one is currently a department manager). So at this time I talk with the one still working and one other who works for a major supplier and works with the current stores. He still knows many long time management people and has worked with many new ones. He hears the problems these people have daily.
I'm talking about the old Store Director position.

Hy-Vee had no problems finding Store Directors, when they were getting paid $150k+/year, 30 years ago. Of course they have problems now, when the earning potential is so low. Most of those Store Directors 30 years ago were on commision and earned serious bank. Store Managers now have a base of $70k-$90k and can earn a bonus but it's small. This is straight from a store manager at hy-vee. Oh and they still work an insane amount for that money.

Shortly after I left they seem to be giving the management title to every position in the store. So you'd feel real important, but the pay said otherwise.

I don't know anything about positions below the head of the store. I don't know any department managers that are still with the company. I 100% believe you that these positions would be hard to fill, especially in small towns.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm talking about the old Store Director position.

Hy-Vee had no problems finding Store Directors, when they were getting paid $150k+/year, 30 years ago. Of course they have problems now, when the earning potential is so low. Most of those Store Directors 30 years ago were on commision and earned serious bank. Store Managers now have a base of $70k-$90k and can earn a bonus but it's small. This is straight from a store manager at hy-vee. Oh and they still work an insane amount for that money.

Shortly after I left they seem to be giving the management title to every position in the store. So you'd feel real important, but the pay said otherwise.

I don't know anything about positions below the head of the store. I don't know any department managers that are still with the company. I 100% believe you that these positions would be hard to fill, especially in small towns.
Don't they now have district directors instead of store directors that are responsible for multiple stores?

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
In general the person doing check outs at Hyvee is 14-18 years old. The person monitoring all the chaos is 18-24. It has fallen so far.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Don't they now have district directors instead of store directors that are responsible for multiple stores?
Yes. I think they have "shift" managers at each store but one DM oversees the old Director responsibilities.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
At some point, the Ana baptist economy will take over the grocery business in large parts of the midwest. In northern Missouri and southern Iowa they have invested probably close to a half of billion in infrastructure and distribution. It’s a few years left from really putting a dent into Hy-Vee and Walmart, but it’s coming.

Des Moines is a long ride in their horse and buggies. But you're right, I'm starting to see these stores pop up in Missouri and Southern Iowa.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'll assume they make decent salaries.
The District/Regional Directors do, for sure. The most recent store I worked at, the store director at the time has since become the regional director and at one point over saw all 3 Hy-Vee's in Dubuque and the one in Clinton. From what I was told by people I still know that work that work there, nothing really changed except he would spend a day or two a week at one of the other stores. Otherwise he still had the same office at his former store and spent most of his time there.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
It is. But my group has had to split it up between Hy-Vee one week and another place the next week because Wahlburgers is foul and disgusting. I don't understand why it's a thing. And I won't eat the Hi-Chi until that stupid standup is no longer there.

Thanks for pointing out that I'm not the only one -- someone asked about CC adding to Hy-Chi. We don't do Hy-Chi much but it's in a long rotation. It's acceptable and cheap. Last time we were in a store to just get that, and I just about had to ABORT when I saw the stupid cardboard figure.

I am probably not petty enough to boycott, but it's a definite negative promotion for me. :chizcoin:

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Thanks for pointing out that I'm not the only one -- someone asked about CC adding to Hy-Chi. We don't do Hy-Chi much but it's in a long rotation. It's acceptable and cheap. Last time we were in a store to just get that, and I just about had to ABORT when I saw the stupid cardboard figure.

I am probably not petty enough to boycott, but it's a definite negative promotion for me. :chizcoin:
Worked at Hyvee in high school, and granted it was roughly a decade ago, I haven't had HiChi since. The food sits out for hours and they only add water to keep it fresh on slower days.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Kind of off-topic here, but I figured others may be in similar situation. I HATE the Iowa can redemption and think it's unnecessary in 2024. I also hate throwing away money, so I've always played the game of taking them back to Hy-Vee, which they seem to be making harder and harder. Last year, I heard about Droppett in Des Moines and signed up. I've now used their urbandale high school location 4 times ($28) and it works slick. They send you a bunch of stickers that you put on the bag, scan the bag when you get there, and just throw the bag in the big receptacle. It takes 4-5 days for the credit to show up on their web site and then you can either donate the money or after you have $15, transfer to a bank account. I use large outdoor bags that hold about $10 worth of cans(200).

The only sketchy part was that I had to store my banking information on their site, which I don't love. I have an old bank account that I rarely use so that's the one I used for the deposit account.

Reactions: NWICY

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
Kind of off-topic here, but I figured others may be in similar situation. I HATE the Iowa can redemption and think it's unnecessary in 2024. I also hate throwing away money, so I've always played the game of taking them back to Hy-Vee, which they seem to be making harder and harder. Last year, I heard about Droppett in Des Moines and signed up. I've now used their urbandale high school location 4 times ($28) and it works slick. They send you a bunch of stickers that you put on the bag, scan the bag when you get there, and just throw the bag in the big receptacle. It takes 4-5 days for the credit to show up on their web site and then you can either donate the money or after you have $15, transfer to a bank account. I use large outdoor bags that hold about $10 worth of cans(200).

The only sketchy part was that I had to store my banking information on their site, which I don't love. I have an old bank account that I rarely use so that's the one I used for the deposit account.
It's beyond stupid. I just gave it up and throw everything into the curbside recycling. I've probably dumped $20, but my time is worth more than that to me.

I used to work at Dahl's and dealt with the can and bottle room more than I ever care to admit to (there is probably some PTSD from it). Because of that, I don't want others to have to deal with what I had to deal with.

Reactions: PickSix

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Worked at Hyvee in high school, and granted it was roughly a decade ago, I haven't had HiChi since. The food sits out for hours and they only add water to keep it fresh on slower days.
Never been a fan of the HiChi, their pizza, or just about anything else they make either. Just very mid. Almost anywhere is better.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math