Coolest athlete photo: Iowa State Edition

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Cameron Lard
View attachment 81715
Is this pic in the Sprint Center? If so ISU tourney champions 2018-19 v KU
Pretty sure that is Hilton. You can see the bottom edges of the Olympic banners at the top

HiltonColiseum_Oklahoma_2014_15_1.jpg
Good call Columbo! I think you are correct. It's been a while since I've been in Hilton.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
It's okay, I spent "a few" hours there during college. Bored during practice I would often space out and look at the banners in the rafters

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
a1gettyimages-457074968-612x612.jpg a1gettyimages-457074964-612x612.jpg This game was significant for maybe two reasons. It was 2014 I think, Rhoads second to last year at ISU. One, it was Matt Campbell's first impression of Ames and Iowa State football! Iowa State defeated Toledo 37-30. A year later in 2015, Matt's last year at Toledo, Toledo defeated ISU 30-23 in Toledo.

Two, I believe this might have been the last time we wore c/g/g unis?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
View attachment 82423 View attachment 82424 This game was significant for maybe two reasons. It was 2014 I think, Rhoads second to last year at ISU. One, it was Matt Campbell's first impression of Ames and Iowa State football! Iowa State defeated Toledo 37-30. A year later in 2015, Matt's last year at Toledo, Toledo defeated ISU 30-23 in Toledo.

Must have been when Matt decided he loved our fanbase and hated the yellow jerseys.

• Haha
Reactions: nrg4isu

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
My parents (both alums) shared stories about Taylor during their time on campus (which mirrored his time there). If you are interested in learning more about him, I would google his name - fair amount out there even though he has been gone for over 40 years (due to this size, he didn't live much longer post college). Some things that my parents shared with me (please call me out if you have different info).....

- In college, he wrestled in an unlimited class (which doesn't exist today) and you could be as heavy as you want.
- Besides just being "big"(both in weight and height (for a wrestler), he was extremely nimble and had great footwork / balance and was very athletic for his size.
- Given his size, they weighed him on one of the livestock scales (probably over in Kildee somewhere).
- My parents also shared that he would drink pitchers of beer like we would drink cans (think of the Andre the Giant
stories that exist out there but perhaps on a smaller scale).
- Often times at a meet, they would sit Chris (the biggest on the team) right next to the smallest weight class wrestler, as a psychological ploy for their opponents.
- I have heard that Chris was the only person on the team that Dan Gable couldn't beat. I also heard on here that they trained together frequently. I believe there is a Youtube video out there where Dan speaks at Chris' wrestling hall of fame induction.
- There is a great picture of him out there on the internet of him on a beach standing alongside Andre the Giant which
gives you some perspective on how big Andre was (Chris briefly wrestled professionally post college).

He was in the Verne Gagne wing of pro wrestling.

I watched him on TV about 4 weeks in a row and the poor kid came across as embarrassed by it. It just didn't work.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
View attachment 82423 View attachment 82424 This game was significant for maybe two reasons. It was 2014 I think, Rhoads second to last year at ISU. One, it was Matt Campbell's first impression of Ames and Iowa State football! Iowa State defeated Toledo 37-30. A year later in 2015, Matt's last year at Toledo, Toledo defeated ISU 30-23 in Toledo.

You mean the Ronald McDonald uniforms?

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames

Ha, fair enough.

Brent Metcalf (coach in the gray hitting the takedown) lost an NCAA finals match back in 2009 when he was wrestling for Iowa. His opponent hit a backflip with a second or two left, and Metcalf shoved him on his way down.

On Saturday, David Carr won his NCAA finals match, and he did the same backflip after the match was over, and that picture is Metcalf taking him down.

Something about life coming full circle...

Attachments

• metcalf caldwell.jpg
    metcalf caldwell.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: CyDawg23