Chris Street Gravesite Vandalized

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I wouldn’t call him a legend. I know little about him and just know/knew he played for Iowa. I remember him being in a crash but not the specifics until the last thread.

chris was definitely a legend and would have played in the NBA. He was one of the best high school players ever in the state. Was fantastic at Iowa. Yes he is a legend. No matter how much I hate Iowa. He’s not a legend outside the state but you can basically say his name and people who saw him play remember how good he was.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Because you don't let a Hawkeye be real. You're a **** just like Curt....

First and foremost... whoever messed with the grave should be found and prosecuted .

I would never want to lose a child the way his parents did, but the fact his parents tried to sue anyone within a mile radius of the accident despite the accident being totally Street’s fault ruined any legend talk for me. What they did to the snow plow driver was absolutely terrible.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
First and foremost... whoever messed with the grave should be found and prosecuted .

I would never want to lose a child the way his parents did, but the fact his parents tried to sue anyone within a mile radius of the accident despite the accident being totally Street’s fault ruined any legend talk for me. What they did to the snow plow driver was absolutely terrible.

Bingo. People forget this fact and its indisputable.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Gomer80

May 17, 2011
Nevada, Iowa

Chris didn't do what his parents did. He is and always be a state of Iowa legend.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I watched the news story again. Seems a couple well placed trail cams is in order.

Grieving is tough.....fortunately I don't have anyone super close I've had to bury, but I know some do decorate graves...and some do A LOT of decorating. Not right or wrong, but I suppose it could be something that eventually dubbed someone the wrong way.....or it was an easy target for punks (but only hit his?)

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

Why did they do to him?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Being a legend doesn’t = being one of their best all-time players.

Popular kid from the state, good player, went to Iowa, and his tragic death have all led to him being a legend.

You are correct. This legend thing is taking on a life of it's own. He was a legend in Indianola......but not the state of Iowa. I'm not here to diminish anything he did, but there have been many players as good or better go through Iowa City who aren't mentioned in the same breath. Roy Marble comes to mind. Not from Iowa? Not a terrible accident? Him dying from cancer way to early not tragic enough? His personal life choices disqualify him? Mr. Street was an Iowa boy who made good as a Hawk. That doesn't make him a "legend" everywhere unless of course your life revolves around nothing but Indianola HS and Iowa Hawkeye sports. Then yes, I can definitely see it.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
You are correct. This legend thing is taking on a life of it's own. He was a legend in Indianola......but not the state of Iowa. I'm not here to diminish anything he did, but there have been many players as good or better go through Iowa City who aren't mentioned in the same breath. Roy Marble comes to mind. Not from Iowa? Not a terrible accident? Him dying from cancer way to early not tragic enough? His personal life choices disqualify him? Mr. Street was an Iowa boy who made good as a Hawk. That doesn't make him a "legend" everywhere unless of course your life revolves around nothing but Indianola HS and Iowa Hawkeye sports. Then yes, I can definitely see it.

I was 3 years old when he died and grew up in an Iowa State house and by the age of 6 or so I knew the Chris Street story, as did all my friends. All my friends that were Iowa fans had “Street Forever” gear/posters all over the place.

Had he not tragically died I doubt he would be in the legend category. But his tragic death is part of his story and part of the legend of Chris Street. We don’t talk about or even still know the names of many Iowa basketball players that averaged 9 points per game in their careers, which makes the point that Chris is a legend because of the entire story of his life.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneworld

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I’m sorry, but legend? Guy was a good player, but we’re talking end of the bench in the nba and more likely going overseas. I get that he was a max effort kid and had some skill, but if he wouldn’t have died, I don’t know that he would be considered a legend. Just my opinion.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I’m sorry, but legend? Guy was a good player, but we’re talking end of the bench in the nba and more likely going overseas. I get that he was a max effort kid and had some skill, but if he wouldn’t have died, I don’t know that he would be considered a legend. Just my opinion.
He's a legend to Iowa fans because of how he tragically died. He wasn't as even as good of a player or the NBA prospect that Acie Earl was. He was a little more athletic version of Ryan Bowen.

• Dislike
Reactions: Gomer80

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron