2024-25 Roster/Rotation Additions

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Allowed 15, but has rarely gone past 12. Once you get to #13-15, you're more or less taking fliers.
It's true that we've rarely had more than 12 non-redshirts on the roster:

Since 09-10:
22-23:
13 active scholarship players. MKK was on scholarship, which barely counts.
16-17: 13 active scholarship players. Albrecht, Jensen, and Zivaljevic each played less than 60 minutes all season.
13-14: 13 active scholarship players. Six players each played less than 90 minutes all season.
11-12: 13 active scholarship players. Arganbright and Mays each played less than 50 minutes all season.
Each year, we had players who were former walk-ons or other developmental/dedicated bench players.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
All that being said, looking for someone similar to Natabou, would be worthwhile. Without getting crazy, looking doesn't hurt. Playing defense against 6'4" through 6'7" post players is no picnic.
He had her last season and, for whatever reason, her PT got drastically cut at season's end and she left.

Bill was fortunate to get Taulelei IMO given the obstacles she has to extensive PT next season. I highly doubt he will attempt or be able to land a 6-5 type in the portal or as late unsigned HS recruit that can be effective for 5-10 minutes vs good teams.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
He had her last season and, for whatever reason, her PT got drastically cut at season's end and she left.

Bill was fortunate to get Taulelei IMO given the obstacles she has to extensive PT next season. I highly doubt he will attempt or be able to land a 6-5 type in the portal or as late unsigned HS recruit that can be effective for 5-10 minutes vs good teams.
I think the difference is Taulelei might be able to play away from the basket (at least defensively) in a way that could allow her to be on the court with Audi on occasion. That didn't feel like a good option with Audi and Nellie.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Unfortunately, Nellie struggled on offense and could string fouls together in a hurry. This past season was a real wake up call for her. She def had some moments, but those were few and far between. Likely one of the reasons she's still out in the portal. Would be surprised if she doesn’t land back at a smaller school.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Unfortunately, Nellie struggled on offense and could string fouls together in a hurry. This past season was a real wake up call for her. She def had some moments, but those were few and far between. Likely one of the reasons she's still out in the portal. Would be surprised if she doesn’t land back at a smaller school.
I actually thought she showed potential, but it is hard to get playing time when Audi was so effective scoring the basketball. Nellie likely would have developed more with additional playing time but that wasn’t in the cards.

Reactions: savepolarbears

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023

No offense to Nellie, and she did get better as the season progressed, but she needed a lot of work. Other than a couple of inches size wise, I think the new gal might be an upgrade.

CloneSt8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2011
Personally, with Emily Ryan being the only senior this year. I hope they bank the three open scholarships so they can have more flexibility in recruiting Freshmen for next year.

Reactions: Stormin

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Would hope for a walk-on or 2 from local kids
During the Girls State Tournament, North Linn won the 1A title and the announcers said PG Kamryn Kurt, leading scorer and mutliple time All State selection, would be studying Kinesiology at ISU. I thought they said she was walking on, but I haven't seen anything about it since.

Rumor is that Emily still isn't well and she won't stay out of the practice facility to rest / heal. She's reportedly back in Kansas taking her classes on-line, in hopes she'll get well!

In short, it might not hurt to have another PG in the wings, if for nothing other than to be a "camp arm" and run the scout team offense. JMHO. Of course, I don't even know if Kamryn Kurt has any interest in walking on - she might be content to focus on her studies.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Personally, with Emily Ryan being the only senior this year. I hope they bank the three open scholarships so they can have more flexibility in recruiting Freshmen for next year.
Even if we sign three more. Which i doubt we would we'd end up with a couple transfers.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I actually thought she showed potential, but it is hard to get playing time when Audi was so effective scoring the basketball. Nellie likely would have developed more with additional playing time but that wasn’t in the cards.

During the Girls State Tournament, North Linn won the 1A title and the announcers said PG Kamryn Kurt, leading scorer and mutliple time All State selection, would be studying Kinesiology at ISU. I thought they said she was walking on, but I haven't seen anything about it since.

Rumor is that Emily still isn't well and she won't stay out of the practice facility to rest / heal. She's reportedly back in Kansas taking her classes on-line, in hopes she'll get well!

In short, it might not hurt to have another PG in the wings, if for nothing other than to be a "camp arm" and run the scout team offense. JMHO. Of course, I don't even know if Kamryn Kurt has any interest in walking on - she might be content to focus on her studies.
Some interesting bits. If Emily is that hard to contain...vell vee Hove vays:

th-2824488474.jpg

Attachments

• th-2824488474.jpg
    th-2824488474.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 0

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

We didn't officially hear about MKK until fall classes had started. My guess is if there are any walk-ons, we won't hear about it until then.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone