Response from Gazette sports editor

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
At least they're honest about being a homer paper. You gotta give them that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

...and no money. Just don't give them any money and everything will sort itself out.

Reactions: LincolnWay187

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
What does the Ames Tribune have to do with this?

A better analogy would be the Gazette~Register, but that wouldn't prove his point as well . . .
vauEUgn.gif

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
I am a Cyclone fan. I am an employee of the Gazette. Candidly, the role I have here would allow me to dictate coverage if that is what I wanted to do. But that would be a bad idea for a variety of reasons.

To first address the market research, every three years we do a fairly significant market study. The study is conducted by personnel at a research firm that frankly don't really care what the outcomes are, they simply conduct the study and turn over the results. The study typically consists of the following: Three small in-person focus groups (10-12 each), one comprised of subscribers, one comprised of non-subscribers and one that is mixed. This is to get opinions and feedback about a wide variety of topics including content of all types, print layout, digital layout, community interaction and other things of the groups' choosing. That feedback is then taken and put into a "quant" study to get a statistically valid market sample of hundreds of people on those topics that were generated and discussed in the focus groups. The quant survey is completed by a balance of subscribers, occasional readers but not subscribers, and those who almost never consume our products. Decisions about the product are made off the resulting data. If there is a bias, it comes from our market - not from those inside the building.

Secondly, I actually had a hand in creating our Game Day and Final Score sections for Saturdays and Sundays in the fall. In fact, when we went to market to get our first sponsors over eight years ago, I personally reached out to over a dozen "pro-Cyclone" business owners. I also reached out directly to Jamie Pollard in an attempt to give someone, anyone who cared about Cyclone athletics to step up and establish a presence in Eastern Iowa. None wanted to play.

Prior to that, when we owned KCRG and purchased the rights to air a select number of Iowa State basketball games (Eustachy era), we put on a HUGE dog and pony show at the station. Food, drink, a sizzle reel of Iowa State, market research showing a significant number of ISU grads in our viewing area. We were the number one station in market. You know how many packages for those games were sold to advertisers: Exactly zero. You know why? Advertisers said the following: Cyclone fans don't spend money like Iowa fans do, and there are a lot more Hawk fans to market to.

So, between pro-Cyclone entities that choose not to play when we give them first look, and businesses that view us as "tight" or "cheap" (exhibit A to the poster earlier who bragged of spending less than $10 on his consumption of ISU news), profitably covering ISU is a non-starter. It is also the reason why I get much (nearly all, frankly) of my ISU information from this very website. I would prefer to get it from my own publication, but I also understand the economics involved. On that note, it would be my sincere hope that everyone in this thread who has lodged a complaint about coverage has made some sort of monetary donation to Chris to help fund his ongoing coverage of the Cyclones. If you haven't, then you really don't have anything to complain about.
giphy.gif

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
The post-game thread was the top post on Reddit for hours after the game if you're subscribed to /r/cfb. It's a huge story across the nation if you follow sports at all, which I would assume a sports column does.

• Winner
Reactions: GTO

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Local sports radio in Cedar Rapids actually tries to talk about Iowa State including having John Walters; Brent Blum and others on every week. But the bottom line is Iowa State is just not that interesting of a topic in Eastern Iowa.

Sad but true.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I am a Cyclone fan. I am an employee of the Gazette. Candidly, the role I have here would allow me to dictate coverage if that is what I wanted to do. But that would be a bad idea for a variety of reasons.

To first address the market research, every three years we do a fairly significant market study. The study is conducted by personnel at a research firm that frankly don't really care what the outcomes are, they simply conduct the study and turn over the results. The study typically consists of the following: Three small in-person focus groups (10-12 each), one comprised of subscribers, one comprised of non-subscribers and one that is mixed. This is to get opinions and feedback about a wide variety of topics including content of all types, print layout, digital layout, community interaction and other things of the groups' choosing. That feedback is then taken and put into a "quant" study to get a statistically valid market sample of hundreds of people on those topics that were generated and discussed in the focus groups. The quant survey is completed by a balance of subscribers, occasional readers but not subscribers, and those who almost never consume our products. Decisions about the product are made off the resulting data. If there is a bias, it comes from our market - not from those inside the building.

Secondly, I actually had a hand in creating our Game Day and Final Score sections for Saturdays and Sundays in the fall. In fact, when we went to market to get our first sponsors over eight years ago, I personally reached out to over a dozen "pro-Cyclone" business owners. I also reached out directly to Jamie Pollard in an attempt to give someone, anyone who cared about Cyclone athletics to step up and establish a presence in Eastern Iowa. None wanted to play.

Prior to that, when we owned KCRG and purchased the rights to air a select number of Iowa State basketball games (Eustachy era), we put on a HUGE dog and pony show at the station. Food, drink, a sizzle reel of Iowa State, market research showing a significant number of ISU grads in our viewing area. We were the number one station in market. You know how many packages for those games were sold to advertisers: Exactly zero. You know why? Advertisers said the following: Cyclone fans don't spend money like Iowa fans do, and there are a lot more Hawk fans to market to.

So, between pro-Cyclone entities that choose not to play when we give them first look, and businesses that view us as "tight" or "cheap" (exhibit A to the poster earlier who bragged of spending less than $10 on his consumption of ISU news), profitably covering ISU is a non-starter. It is also the reason why I get much (nearly all, frankly) of my ISU information from this very website. I would prefer to get it from my own publication, but I also understand the economics involved. On that note, it would be my sincere hope that everyone in this thread who has lodged a complaint about coverage has made some sort of monetary donation to Chris to help fund his ongoing coverage of the Cyclones. If you haven't, then you really don't have anything to complain about.

704.gif

Reactions: cyfan21

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I am a Cyclone fan..... Cyclone fans don't spend money like Iowa fans do..... it would be my sincere hope that everyone in this thread..... has made... monetary donation to Chris to help fund his ongoing coverage of the Cyclones......

Assuming you really are a Cyclone fan-- since you're on CF complaining, is it safe to say you are following your own advise and have donated to Chris' site fund?

Reactions: keepngoal

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City
I subscribe to The Gazette and am happy to do it. The Hawkeye homers in Sports aren't as bad as they used to be (progress!) and Hlas is a gem.

CF is the best and I do the Patreon thing here. Just a $1.00 a month, and it's worth much more than that.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I felt I was verbally threatened by Marc Morehouse a few years ago for questioning their coverage of Cyclone sports. It's not going to change. There are A LOT of Cyclone fans in Cedar Rapids that would spend $ if the coverage was better. It's a joke most of the time.
Morehouse bangs Hayden Fry's corpse every night before bed. I don't know how he got it but he has it in his mom's basement.

I like Hlas. Played poker with him a time or 2.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What does the Ames Tribune have to do with this?

The Ames Trib is functionally a local paper for Iowa State, the same way the CR Gazette is for Iowa. I wouldn't expect the Trib to give much coverage to Iowa, and I wouldn't expect CR to give much to ISU. It's not brain surgery.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cydkar

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
The Ames Trib is functionally a local paper for Iowa State, the same way the CR Gazette is for Iowa. I wouldn't expect the Trib to give much coverage to Iowa, and I wouldn't expect CR to give much to ISU. It's not brain surgery.

You should probably compare the Tribune with the Iowa City Press Citizen, Captain *******.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
This is appearing in tomorrow's paper. He sent this link to me in response to my complaint. Interesting how the "wrap around" is sponsored space and locked up with the inner pages being the so called Front page. The only thing I agree with is he had no idea this huge upset was coming. I also can't believe anyone bothers to read 4 full pages of the great win over Illinois, Hawk fan or not.

It's just too much Hawks and little else. They really should see the sports banner to just read "Hawkeye Sports" and be done with it

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/gazette-sports-coverage-we-are-what-we-are-20171009
I guess they are happy witht he size of their customer base and don't want to grow it

Reactions: Triggermv

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
  1. Geography is hard for some
  2. Ames Tribune does not equal the Gazette. It equals the iowa ****** press citizen

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar and weR138

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Meh, I just look at the stat lines in the paper...get my news here.
Come to think of it, if CF put newspaper style stat lines in a thread every Sunday morning I might never touch a newspaper again...

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Come to think of it, if CF put newspaper style stat lines in a thread every Sunday morning I might never touch a newspaper again...

Just go to ESPN, Yahoo Sports, or any other sports site of your choice if that's all you are going for.

L

LincolnWay187

At least they're honest about being a homer paper. You gotta give them that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

...and no money. Just don't give them any money and everything will sort itself out.
Agreed cancel your subscription fellas

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I wanted a big picture and headline of the win to put in a frame. Needless to say, when I peeked at the Gazette in HyVee, I literally dropped it on the ground and left it there when I saw it had basically nothing. Then, I picked up the DSM Register and got a real nice picture of the Lazard catch. Bought that paper and went home.

The Gazette not acknowledging one of the biggest national sports stories that involved an IN STATE University is just par for the course. You also cannot find any stories on the win on CBS2 website. Garbage.