Response from Gazette sports editor

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
What's sad is the Quad City Times gives better coverage of the Cyclones than the Cedar Rapids Gazette - and they're a paper that's even further east in Iowa than Cedar Rapids and also has to give some coverage to Illinois. (NOTE - this was my experience from 6 years ago when I still lived in the QC where, while the Iowa-Illinois game would have appeared above the fold line, it would have shared the front page with the Cyclones with that kind of win. You would never know that today with the coverage on their website where ISU isn't even mentioned.)
The Honolulu paper had a 2 page spread on the game for -ucks sake. Half the papers in the country had it on page one yet the gazette editor says he wouldnt change it if he could... and who sells the subject and content of their stories for the first 2 pages to advertisers... I get its sports but this should be labeled "paid advertisement section". What a joke.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The state of Iowa doesn't really have a ton of sports to cover. A legitimate sports section would be happy to have two D1 programs to cover in a state of 3.5 million instead of just one. Only an archaic dying rag would treat ESPN's top national story of the week (which happens to be local ISU) as a burden to cover, then write an article why the can't fully cover the nation's top story.

The same would be true of the DMR if demographics and fan support keep turning Des Moines into a majority Cyclone market. If ISU pounds some crappy team and Iowa walks in and beats #3 Ohio State in Columbus...only a company that wants to go out of business focuses on the boring story out of some weird obligation to jerk off a fan base.

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
Simple solution: Put together a few years of bowl games and the coverage will increase. Most of the Iowa newspapers started dedicating more ISU basketball coverage once we started winning. ISUs fan base consists of people who went to ISU and their family members. The qwaks have an upper hand, because of the hayden era, that even middle school drop outs are qwak fans.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Only use I've ever had for a newspaper was when my mom let me highlight words I knew in it before I entered preschool.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Lets be honest - Newspapers have shrinking budgets and it doesn't behoove them to cover ISU. How much play does Iowa get in the Ames Trib?

JHpsyclonz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa City

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
We'll see if the Daily Iowan mentions it today -- surprisingly they do mention Cyclone sports sometimes in their 'national roundup' type sidebar.

Right now ISU is still getting two mentions on the top part of the ESPN CFB site, both because of Kempt. I care more about that than the Gazette.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Simple solution: Put together a few years of bowl games and the coverage will increase. Most of the Iowa newspapers started dedicating more ISU basketball coverage once we started winning. ISUs fan base consists of people who went to ISU and their family members. The qwaks have an upper hand, because of the hayden era, that even middle school drop outs are qwak fans.
Will it? It's better now with internet, but media coverage creates fans as much as it caters to them. It's the main reason Uowa, despite having a 20 year drought maintained a fan dominance that resulted in their current run of mediocre football

The best things to do are cancel, avoid their advertisers, and hope they fold.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I understand why the Gazette has Iowa all on the front and back, even without the advertiser excuse. There are many more Iowa fans here and honestly, their demographic is more likely to read the newspaper due to being older and rural.

With that said, ISU should always be at least a respectable #2 for coverage in the area. The biggest college in a P5 conference should always get more coverage than the others the editor grouped ISU with: UNI, Coe, Cornell, high schools, etc. It's just more obvious when ISU has the biggest upset of the year.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I truly think what the Gazette is missing is how many Cyclone fans like myself who have always refused to read and subscribe to their paper because they have terrible ISU coverage and bias. You can poll your readers all you want to confirm your bias, but sorry, I'm not your subscriber and I'm not your reader. For you newspaper editors that like to use big words, its called confirmation bias.

On a different note, all of this is good news for Cyclonefanatic and also why Cyclonefanatic is actually more successful and produces significantly higher page clicks than even Hawkeyenation (I'm not guessing this, I know this for a fact). If the papers want to die and not cater to its readers, somebody else will.

Last edited:

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
The state of Iowa doesn't really have a ton of sports to cover. A legitimate sports section would be happy to have two D1 programs to cover in a state of 3.5 million instead of just one. Only an archaic dying rag would treat ESPN's top national story of the week (which happens to be local ISU) as a burden to cover, then write an article why the can't fully cover the nation's top story.

The same would be true of the DMR if demographics and fan support keep turning Des Moines into a majority Cyclone market. If ISU pounds some crappy team and Iowa walks in and beats #3 Ohio State in Columbus...only a company that wants to go out of business focuses on the boring story out of some weird obligation to jerk off a fan base.
The issue with that is Iowa never plays Ohio State.

• Winner
  • Funny
Reactions: VeloClone and NWICY

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
There are definitely more Cyclone basketball fans in Eastern Iowa. I have seen a growing trend of old time Hawkeyes fans from the 80s and 90s lose interest of the Hawkeyes over time but pick up Cyclone basketball as a winter hobby. That is not happening on the football side of things. Luckily in Cedar Rapids we have KGYM ESPN radio which is great I must say. It is on the Cyclone Radio Network and their local shows give balanced coverage. Listening and reading about the Cyclones all the time gets old sorry. Between this site and cyclones.com there is more than enough content and we dont need the newspapers to feed us quotes anymore; cyclones.com has that covered. If anything this thread is a funeral for the newspaper industry. KCRG is probably the top media medium in Cedar Rapids. This is hard for folks to understand but its no conspiracy; ISU football just is not that interesting of a topic for those in Eastern Iowa currently. Only competing on a national stage can help that.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I don't actively read their paper, but I follow Hlas on twitter and actually like a lot of his, albeit rare, Iowa State takes.

His 'Iowa State is still Iowa State' line after the Texass loss was typical Hlas.
I missed how he he characterized the biggest win in the country this week. What did he say about the Cyclones after they took down OU?

Clonepackof1

Jan 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids
I truly think what the Gazette is missing is how many Cyclone fans like myself who have always refused to read and subscribe to their paper because they have terrible ISU coverage and bias. You can poll your readers all you want to confirm your bias, but sorry, I'm not your subscriber and I'm not your reader. For you newspaper editors that like to use big words, its called confirmation bias.

On a different note, all of this is good news for Cyclonefanatic and also why Cyclonefanatic is actually more successful and produces significantly higher page clicks than even Hawkeyenation (I'm not guessing this, I know this for a fact). If the papers want to die and not cater to its readers, somebody else will.

I am a Cyclone fan. I am an employee of the Gazette. Candidly, the role I have here would allow me to dictate coverage if that is what I wanted to do. But that would be a bad idea for a variety of reasons.

To first address the market research, every three years we do a fairly significant market study. The study is conducted by personnel at a research firm that frankly don't really care what the outcomes are, they simply conduct the study and turn over the results. The study typically consists of the following: Three small in-person focus groups (10-12 each), one comprised of subscribers, one comprised of non-subscribers and one that is mixed. This is to get opinions and feedback about a wide variety of topics including content of all types, print layout, digital layout, community interaction and other things of the groups' choosing. That feedback is then taken and put into a "quant" study to get a statistically valid market sample of hundreds of people on those topics that were generated and discussed in the focus groups. The quant survey is completed by a balance of subscribers, occasional readers but not subscribers, and those who almost never consume our products. Decisions about the product are made off the resulting data. If there is a bias, it comes from our market - not from those inside the building.

Secondly, I actually had a hand in creating our Game Day and Final Score sections for Saturdays and Sundays in the fall. In fact, when we went to market to get our first sponsors over eight years ago, I personally reached out to over a dozen "pro-Cyclone" business owners. I also reached out directly to Jamie Pollard in an attempt to give someone, anyone who cared about Cyclone athletics to step up and establish a presence in Eastern Iowa. None wanted to play.

Prior to that, when we owned KCRG and purchased the rights to air a select number of Iowa State basketball games (Eustachy era), we put on a HUGE dog and pony show at the station. Food, drink, a sizzle reel of Iowa State, market research showing a significant number of ISU grads in our viewing area. We were the number one station in market. You know how many packages for those games were sold to advertisers: Exactly zero. You know why? Advertisers said the following: Cyclone fans don't spend money like Iowa fans do, and there are a lot more Hawk fans to market to.

So, between pro-Cyclone entities that choose not to play when we give them first look, and businesses that view us as "tight" or "cheap" (exhibit A to the poster earlier who bragged of spending less than $10 on his consumption of ISU news), profitably covering ISU is a non-starter. It is also the reason why I get much (nearly all, frankly) of my ISU information from this very website. I would prefer to get it from my own publication, but I also understand the economics involved. On that note, it would be my sincere hope that everyone in this thread who has lodged a complaint about coverage has made some sort of monetary donation to Chris to help fund his ongoing coverage of the Cyclones. If you haven't, then you really don't have anything to complain about.

Last edited:

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
After reading Hlas' Sunday piece on ISU 'lore', I see he had to add his classic backhanded swipe toward the Cyclones toward the end by saying "Iowa State is still miles away". Really Mike? One or two plays away in both losses and Iowa State is 5-0 with a win over a top 3 team. Miles away?
What we see time and time again from Hlas and the Gazette on any 'pro-ISU football' article is a line included for worried hok fans which says-- "don't worry, Iowa State has miles to go before they consistently beat the tavern loving hoks."

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Lets be honest - Newspapers have shrinking budgets and it doesn't behoove them to cover ISU. How much play does Iowa get in the Ames Trib?

What does the Ames Tribune have to do with this?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron