today's officials

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Also the penalty is half the distance from the spot of the foul, which was the 14. But **** the refs!

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Funny Stat I saw. OSU had 3 first downs caused by penalties in the first half while ISU has 0 on the year. That seems almost impossible. That can't be right, can it?

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
They certainly bailed OSU out on two horrid pass interference calls on third downs that ultimately resulted in TDs for OSU. This on the heels of a terrible no-call on our first series where West got mugged and then the putrid, ridiculous call on Tribune which was obvious incidental contact and the OSU WR fell down. The late hit on Sam was just icing on the cake. The early stuff allowed OSU to jump out to a huge lead and forced us to play from a big hole all game. This officiating this year against us has been inexcusable. It didn't change the outcome, but it definitely hurt us to be down so much, so early.

Exactly - I don't know if the stats back this up but it seems like in the first half of games ISU gets many penalties called and the opposition few if any (yesterday's game 8 to 0). Then in the second half when the game has been decided they flag the opposition and even the calls up. Like I said I don't know if this is the case but it seems like it.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Funny Stat I saw. OSU had 3 first downs caused by penalties in the first half while ISU has 0 on the year. That seems almost impossible. That can't be right, can it?

On the call in show after the game they said ISU got their first 1st down via penalty in the conf in the 3rd quarter - the next closet had 8 first downs via penalty. Granted we may commit a lot of penalties but the opposition commits penalties too and don't seem to get flagged for them.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
This post isn't based in any sort of reality. The hit wasn't late, it was a bang bang play. It was an awkward slide and an unfortunate outcome, but even watching the replay several times it doesn't look malicious in any way.

Agree - someone needs to teach Richardson how to slide. However, if this would have been the other way around I think ISU gets flagged - you're not paranoid if they're really out to get you (jk - kinda).

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The hit on SR was unfortunate because Sam got bent in an awkward way, but there wasn't much the defender could have done. It might get called sometimes but I wouldn't expect it.

Let me ask you this:

Do you have any doubt that we would have been flagged had that been our guy hitting their QB? Any doubt at all?

That would have been called had it been our guy every single time. It's a bad rule, but that's 15 yards if its an ISU player making the hit.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
People actually thought that was a dirty hit? Yikes.

I didn't think it was a dirty hit. I just think it would have been flagged if it was anyone else.

Officials weren't the difference, but they were clearly calling the game one way, and it just compounds the misery and anguish of us sucking left hind tit on top of it.

ojoe2317

Jan 2, 2012
Officials were incredibly bad at yesterday's game. Almost comical to watch them try to make up for it in the beginning of the 3rd quarter.

Don't say the refs didn't impact the outcome of the game, that is garbage. Their first two offensive tds were gifts. Game should have been 20-20 at half.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
Only our fan base would have a five page thread complaining about poor officiating in a game we lost by five scores.

I think it is more ****ed up that we have a 5 page thread talking about Iowa making a bowl. But thats just me. The idiot sitting next to me during the game spent more time looking at his phone watching game tracker for the Iowa game then the game in front of him.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
I didn't think it was a dirty hit. I just think it would have been flagged if it was anyone else.

Officials weren't the difference, but they were clearly calling the game one way, and it just compounds the misery and anguish of us sucking left hind tit on top of it.
This.

Some of the calls may have been legit but when the other team does the same damn thing and doesn't get called and it happens on a continual basis that is when it becomes ********.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Let me ask you this:

Do you have any doubt that we would have been flagged had that been our guy hitting their QB? Any doubt at all?

That would have been called had it been our guy every single time. It's a bad rule, but that's 15 yards if its an ISU player making the hit.
I don't think we would have been flagged, no. But I don't have the everyone is out to get the Cyclones mentality that seems so popular with the kids.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
We had two first downs on personal fouls in the span of like 3 plays at one point, so no, I'm thinking that stat isn't right.