Your personal ISU basketball court

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Please. No court could hold a flame to how fancy mine was as a kid. It was a plywood backboard mounted inside a machine shed using old cultivator brackets. The work bench and any equipment parked near it was out of bounds. Free throw line was a crack in the concrete and three point land was anything close to work bench and machinery but not touching. We also kept some pretty plush towels close by in case the ball landed in some fresh sparrow crap. The old NIPCO heater only added to it's plushness. It truly was a basketball facility ahead of it's time!!!!

Flashback to junior high when I would stay at my buddy's farm. The barn winter court was in the hayloft above their diary cows. Unique setting with a heavy wood floor that was better for hoops than you would think. Hadn't probably given that a thought in 40 years until your post.

:smile:

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Flashback to junior high when I would stay at my buddy's farm. The barn winter court was in the hayloft above their diary cows. Unique setting with a heavy wood floor that was better for hoops than you would think. Hadn't probably given that a thought in 40 years until your post.

:smile:

I had two buddies that had hayloft courts. They were great to play in. One was actually really nice and they did a bunch of work to the floor (sanded it, finished it, etc.). The other was a land mine field of splinters, holes, etc. But both were still a blast. We created some new rules for the lofts, a shot bounced off the ceiling was worth 3 points, deep balls worth two, and regular shots 1. "Barn Ball" was a blast to play except for when it was 120 degrees in there.

Sadly one of the barns has since been burned down and the one with the nice floor has gone to crap and will most likely come down soon.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Please. No court could hold a flame to how fancy mine was as a kid. It was a plywood backboard mounted inside a machine shed using old cultivator brackets. The work bench and any equipment parked near it was out of bounds. Free throw line was a crack in the concrete and three point land was anything close to work bench and machinery but not touching. We also kept some pretty plush towels close by in case the ball landed in some fresh sparrow crap. The old NIPCO heater only added to it's plushness. It truly was a basketball facility ahead of it's time!!!!

That made me laugh. I think every kid's court just happened to have a crack or other mark in the concrete just close enough for the free throw line.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
That made me laugh. I think every kid's court just happened to have a crack or other mark in the concrete just close enough for the free throw line.

Pretty much. We also had a hoop on the outside of the machine shed as well and both free throw and three point line were cracks.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
One of my buddies growing up had a similar court in his house, his parents sold the house a couple of years ago but it was out of my price range.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Yeah, I'd love to have something like that. Not only for basketball, but for family get together, kids play area, etc.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I had two buddies that had hayloft courts. They were great to play in. One was actually really nice and they did a bunch of work to the floor (sanded it, finished it, etc.). The other was a land mine field of splinters, holes, etc. But both were still a blast. We created some new rules for the lofts, a shot bounced off the ceiling was worth 3 points, deep balls worth two, and regular shots 1. "Barn Ball" was a blast to play except for when it was 120 degrees in there.

Sadly one of the barns has since been burned down and the one with the nice floor has gone to crap and will most likely come down soon.
I had a friend with a barn half court as well. It was awesome...especially when we all played daily and a rainy day would come along. A little dusty here and there and got hot, but perfect for us...and you always had to watch the back side....no railing.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Please. No court could hold a flame to how fancy mine was as a kid. It was a plywood backboard mounted inside a machine shed using old cultivator brackets. The work bench and any equipment parked near it was out of bounds.

Plywood backboard with brackets to mount it to the grapple fork on the loader tractor. Adjustable height for jam-ball. We made our own spring loaded rim as well (since they weren't readily available to the public back then). The problem was that the control valve for the loader arm cylinders leaked, so the basket height would gradually drop as we played. Then we got a new loader tractor, and nirvana was achieved.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
Cyclone alum millionaire in Minnesota? That's the type of guy that we should have put Rashad Vaughn's dad in touch with.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron