Your perception of the quality of potential candidates

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Since the word on the coaching trail has slowed today, and since I've been spending so much time this week reading everyone's opinions and rumors, I'm curious as to what everyone things about the quality of the candidates that are in the running this year as opposed to two years ago.

IMO, two years ago we were talking mainly about hot coordinators, trying to start a future with a budding coach. This year we have a lot of names floating out there that (seemingly) have some tread that are a lot more exciting to me than what we had the last go around, and having someone who is experienced in coaching at some degree. I think a lot of it also has to do with being the only BCS school currently looking for a coach, and in my perception this is a good thing. There are a lot of coaches that I would support, and a few lackluster names, but overall I think things feel better (or I am overly optimistic).

What are your thoughts?

Rush1

Dec 16, 2008
Looks like it has a lot to do with timing. No other BCS openings = more interest from outside the BCS. If Chizdick left a month ago, it may have been a different story

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Looks like it has a lot to do with timing. No other BCS openings = more interest from outside the BCS. If Chizdick left a month ago, it may have been a different story

In a good way or in a bad way? Not sure of your position on this.

jakemcilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
All I know is I'm impressed how quiet JP keeps this. 5 days in and nobody really has any idea who are coach is going to be. Why is that a big deal, you ask? Ask K-State. I'm not saying we're going to get Patterson, because I don't think we will, but you just HAVE to keep a lid on this stuff until everything is agreed upon...especially when a bowl team is involved.

I trust Pollard and refuse to analyze potential hires (unless it's Farley) until it actually happens. There is no point.

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
I trust Pollard as well, that is why I dismiss all talks about Stoops. There are a lot of better options out there. And no one on this board knows how much money Pollard has at his discretion.