Your former assistant doing well at Brookings ...

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I think we could have been successful with both coaches, but Prohm was the more sure bet. He has exceeded expectations recruiting wise. I'm not sure we've ever had this high of rated talent coming into the program. Play wise, hard to argue with a Big 12 tourney Championship, Sweet 16 and a hard fought round of 32 loss to a good Purdue team.

Prohm has been out coached a few times but this is the Big 12 where no coach outside of Shaka and maybe Bruce is a "bad" coach for this level. He certainly has things to work on like out of bounds and plays and out of time out plays but he has been as good as we could hope for overall thus far.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Between the freshman class this year and next, this is the best 2 year run of recruiting I can recall (and I go all the back to before Johnny). And yes-the pressure is on to return to our expected high level of performance/results. The good news is-I think the pieces are in place with both talent and coaching.

The number of people who
1) didn't see this year coming (even without injuries)
2) put it all on Prohm.....

are unbelievable

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I’ll say this about both of them. Prohm better make the tournament in the next 24 months or ISU will be hiring TJ. Personally, Prohm better make the tournament in the next 12 months.

I almost want to see TJ get hired just so I can see the TJ supporter's reaction when something doesn't go well.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: CyTwins

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Between the freshman class this year and next, this is the best 2 year run of recruiting I can recall (and I go all the back to before Johnny). And yes-the pressure is on to return to our expected high level of performance/results. The good news is-I think the pieces are in place with both talent and coaching.

The number of people who
1) didn't see this year coming (even without injuries)
2) put it all on Prohm.....

are unbelievable
1.) Meeting low expectations is the problem. Seeing it coming and being disappointed are not mutually exclusive.
2.) He is a P5 coach in his third year. It’s not all on him given how Hoiberg left, but enough is for the results to be viewed as his.

I’m optimistic that we bounce back well enough next year so hopefully this discussion is moot, but his premise isn’t that outrageous. If Prohm misses the tournament the next two years, which would be three years in a row, he’s liable to be let go. The odds of that happening are debatable, the consequence much less so. I don’t believe he stated his opinion on the former.

• Agree
Reactions: CubsClones1

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Why are we giving
If Prohm misses the tournament the next two years, which would be three years in a row, he’s liable to be let go.

I don't think anyone is going to argue this. He absolutely should be let go if he misses the tournament next year, and the year after.

With the look of the two freshmen this season, and the recruits coming in, I would say the expectations for '19-'20 should be competing for conference champion, and 1-3 seed in the tournament.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
So you will still be fully on board with Prohm if he doesn’t make the tournament in the next 2 seasons?

Obviously there would be some questions if we missed the tournament three straight seasons. The "TJ supporters/the back-up QB is better" crowd are interesting people.