Wyoming Dual (Saturday @2PM)

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I think Meeks has higher upside than Dante. When they go to the same tournament they generally have similar results so neither guy has separated themselves. Meeks has some weird karma where wrestling him gives his opponent a direct route into a bunch of top wins and a high rankings. It seems like every unranked guy he loses to goes on to become a highly ranked wrestler within a month of the match. In fact I think the staff has mishandled it this year by putting Meeks out there against good wrestlers for duals and Dante out there against mediocre to bad guys. So it looks like Dante is further ahead than he really is. Meeks has never had the opportunity to rack up a bunch of confidence building easy wins and that might be the block he needs moved for him to take off.

Overall, I totally understand why the staff pulled his redshirt a couple years ago and do not fault them for it. But I think they've really mishandled him since then. The guy has all the talent in the world and they haven't figured out how to unleash it.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I think Meeks has higher upside than Dante. When they go to the same tournament they generally have similar results so neither guy has separated themselves. Meeks has some weird karma where wrestling him gives his opponent a direct route into a bunch of top wins and a high rankings. It seems like every unranked guy he loses to goes on to become a highly ranked wrestler within a month of the match. In fact I think the staff has mishandled it this year by putting Meeks out there against good wrestlers for duals and Dante out there against mediocre to bad guys. So it looks like Dante is further ahead than he really is. Meeks has never had the opportunity to rack up a bunch of confidence building easy wins and that might be the block he needs moved for him to take off.

Overall, I totally understand why the staff pulled his redshirt a couple years ago and do not fault them for it. But I think they've really mishandled him since then. The guy has all the talent in the world and they haven't figured out how to unleash it.

I'm ok with how he wrestled but the thing that irritates me is how Jackson has handled it like u said.

Last edited:

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
I'm curious as to what you guys see that makes you think Meeks has higher upside? I see Dante as having some unique skills and needs to work on fundamentals on his feet. And of course the whole team needs to learn mat skills. But DR has a fantastic body awareness and balance that makes him exciting to watch.

JM to me just doesn't open up or can't against these longer kids. He is limited on the mat and doesn't seem to possess an aggressiveness that I see in DR.

Like to hear other opinions

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I'm curious as to what you guys see that makes you think Meeks has higher upside? I see Dante as having some unique skills and needs to work on fundamentals on his feet. And of course the whole team needs to learn mat skills. But DR has a fantastic body awareness and balance that makes him exciting to watch.

JM to me just doesn't open up or can't against these longer kids. He is limited on the mat and doesn't seem to possess an aggressiveness that I see in DR.

Like to hear other opinions

I totally agree with you about aggressiveness. Dante gives no ****s and would probably square up against Cael Sanderson and try to throw him to his back. But I think he also has bigger holes in his game and while he has a puncher's chance in every match the top guys can generally neutralize him. I love watching him wrestle.

Meeks is tentative on the mat and I blame the coaches for that. When he hits his shots with confidence he can take down anybody, and even against guys with elite shots his defense is generally (not always) pretty solid. I think Dante tops out at R12, I don't see him getting AA honors unless he gets really lucky. I think if Meeks figures out whatever it is that is holding him back he could be a for sure AA and possible champ. All the tools are there but he can't put them together.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I heard Dante was going to wrestle at UNI Open, but failed the skin test, so came back to Ames early.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Are you talking body composition test or communicable disease (i.e. ring worm)?

I'd assume ringworm, a cold sore, impetigo, something like that. Skin checks are part of every event but as far as I know body composition tests are a one time thing before the season starts. We don't have another meet coming up for almost three weeks so whatever it is will be gone by Midlands.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I'd assume ringworm, a cold sore, impetigo, something like that. Skin checks are part of every event but as far as I know body composition tests are a one time thing before the season starts. We don't have another meet coming up for almost three weeks so whatever it is will be gone by Midlands.

I was thinking that, but wasn't sure. "Dirty" skin is better than a body comp fail, so there's the silver lining.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Tanner was on his way to a major and was going to let him up and take him down. Then got taken down and tilted to his back for 4. Lucky he had riding time to tie it up.

Not sure if he lost focus or what in the match. Similar to the Iowa match I think. Usually Tanner is so strong in the 3rd period, so not sure what is happening this year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron