WV fires AD (Neal Brown next?)

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Absolutely amazing how much an ADs job security is tied to the football programs success.
Not amazing at all. That's where the money is made unless you're running Ku or Duke. Neal was hired when Ku hired Les Miles, TxT Matt Wells, and K-State Chris Klieman. Brown will be replaced. Klieman, the lone survivor, could be headed to Nebraska if the corn have their way about it.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Not amazing at all. That's where the money is made unless you're running Ku or Duke. Neal was hired when Ku hired Les Miles, TxT Matt Wells, and K-State Chris Klieman. Brown will be replaced. Klieman, the lone survivor, could be headed to Nebraska if the corn have their way about it.

Exactly why it's important to keep Campbell. Maybe we don't get an great team, however, we compete. Coaching searches are pure luck. A lot of coaches that were expected to do a great job, have not. Guys that people don't expect much from have done fantastic jobs. Oh and Fire Manning

Reactions: State2015

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Serious question. A KState friend is kind of hoping that happens to then bring Patterson back home. Is that actually being talked about?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Serious question. A KState friend is kind of hoping that happens to then bring Patterson back home. Is that actually being talked about?
Good lord, are you sure he's K-State? Klieman is in the process of building a strong, championship program while Patterson is in the twilight of his career after being canned at TCU. Why would a Cat fan want that trade? It's silly-boy talk.

Should Klieman leave, Patterson would certainly be a candidate though. I'll give your friend that.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Good lord, are you sure he's K-State? Klieman is in the process of building a strong, championship program while Patterson is in the twilight of his career after being canned at TCU. Why would a Cat fan want that trade? It's silly-boy talk.

Should Klieman leave, Patterson would certainly be a candidate though. I'll give your friend that.
Yep, he's for real with that sentiment. Think's Patterson could take KState to "the next level."

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Yep, he's for real with that sentiment. Think's Patterson could take KState to "the next level."
Like he took TCU? :rolleyes:

I'd cry if Chris left K-State.

640.jpg

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I agree that Patterson built a solid program at Ft. Worth. I also agree he'd be a candidate for K-State should Klieman leave. After all, he was rumored to be replacing coach Snyder the first go-around. But I disagree that it would be an upgrade for K-State to replace Chris with Gary.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Smoking Musket's coaching thoughts:
  • Dan Mullen: I tweeted last week during the game that the thing this season has done most that I do not like, is making me think Dan Mullen is a good hire. But, I think he’s proven he can win at the level we expect at a similar program (Mississippi State) and I think he brings a brand of football that we can be successful running. He would also bridge a gap back to the era most fans remember as the height of the program. The downside is that everything I’ve ever heard about the dude makes me think he’s a dickbag, but you know, he’d be our dickbag. I also don’t know if he wants to leave ESPN, but it’s worth kicking the tires.
  • Jamey Chadwell: Put Coastal on the map, and runs a fun offense that I think can work. Definitely feels like he’s waiting for the right job to come along, though. Is West Virginia it? Maybe, but he’s probably the best G5 guy on the board.
  • Matt Weiss: I am not a big guy on coordinators, especially ones without some previous head coaching experience, but Michigan’s OC Matt Weiss is certainly a guy who I’d consider worth taking a serious look at.
  • Tee Martin: See above, but I feel like Martin has a ton of experience and would be great on the recruiting trail. Could West Virginia get him to leave the NFL, where he’s in his third season at Baltimore as a position coach, for the grind of college?
  • Some names I would not, under any circumstances, broker: Urban Meyer, Hugh Freeze, Rich Rod.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I think Patterson did very well at TCU overall.
You think? The dude was ridiculous at TCU save for the last part of his tenure. But he is the sole reason they are even in the Big 12. He should have made a CFP of it wasn’t for that BS the committee and even the Big 12 Conference pulled.

Reactions: surly

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Yeah, it's interesting that Patterson isn't on the above list. He clearly wants to coach again. Knows this league. Uber successful in the past. Yet, not a big enough splash for the internet pounders.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You think? The dude was ridiculous at TCU save for the last part of his tenure. But he is the sole reason they are even in the Big 12. He should have made a CFP of it wasn’t for that BS the committee and even the Big 12 Conference pulled.
Yep. The end was Mack Brown - UT esque, and Mack is doing a pretty decent job at Carolina, even with Chizik's terrible defense.

Reactions: jctisu

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yeah, it's interesting that Patterson isn't on the above list. He clearly wants to coach again. Knows this league. Uber successful in the past. Yet, not a big enough splash for the internet pounders.
I kept Rhule off the list (the only omission) just because I think there's no chance of that.

• Informative
Reactions: surly

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I watched alot of that WVU/Oklahoma game and Brown had the look of a guy that knew he was probably not going to be around much longer.

Also him going back to JT Daniels when that other kid was playing so well probably tells you why he's going to get fired.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: JP4CY and surly

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I watched alot of that WVU/Oklahoma game and Brown had the look of a guy that knew he was probably not going to be around much longer.
I thought with him being "kind of" from the area, that he'd be an OK coach there but he's toast.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
He's a texas guy. I don't see him thriving in WV.

I think he is more likely to remain a happy "analyst" for a big program, or maybe take over a smaller outfit with less pressure (North Texas, SMU, something like that). Whatever he thinks is his best life at this stage in his life.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
He's a texas guy. I don't see him thriving in WV.

I think he is more likely to remain a happy "analyst" for a big program, or maybe take over a smaller outfit with less pressure (North Texas, SMU, something like that). Whatever he thinks is his best life at this stage in his life.
Patterson is a Kansan, Rozel to be specific. He played at K-State. But still, that's a long way from Morgan's town. I agree.