Wow, ISU daily op-ed slams JP

bandit

Apr 21, 2006
I feel somewhat better that this is a letter from a random student, not an editorial from the paper in general. That said, welcome to life kid, it ain't fair 100% of the time and, for better or worse, D1 sports does revolve around money. As an "old" alum (30) I am glad we finally have an AD that thinks in terms of $$ and 'product' rather than maintaining the usual ineptitude we saw for the decades prior to JP.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
This whole thing is getting out of hand. College students more than likly dont remember what it was like pre Jamie Pollard. Having ADs that dont care and dont get involved. Someone needs to tell this kid money is what makes the world go round, makes the world work, and gives you a reason to get out of bed after college. Maybe the CA thing needs to be changed a bit, JP will look at it and do the correct thing and make it right.

The students have all kinds of reasons they dont go to games: Dont like the seats, want to sit in the crowd, dont want to wear a T-shirt (I still dont get why this is a big deal), a 12:45 game is too early (really), I did have time to go, it was cold. None of them are very good reasons not to go to a game. When I was a student we wanted to sit behind the basket and have a student section, now they have one and they dont want it.

Why get the tickets and then not go to the games? If you dont want to go to the game just say I dont want to go and stop coming up with excuses. Maybe they should sell half season ticket packages to students so those that dont want to go to every game are not hurting attendence.

Dormeezy

Nov 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I am a student and I was embarrassed by this article. That guy is an idiot and has no idea what he's talking about. He tried to write some elaborate doctrine but just ended up sounding like a dumb *** using the thesaurus in MS Word.

I pretty much completely disagree with everything that bum wrote. His opinions are NOT representative of the vast majority of students, I hope everyone realizes that.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
On my way home this afternoon, Jon Miller read this article on his show, and at first, I felt sick that someone actually thought that was an intelligently written "opinion." Then, someone else called in with what I thought was an interesting thought. If that section was high donors instead of students, would JP send them an email if they weren't showing up? It just seems like the students are the only ones being singled out, when many of them (that I know at least) can't make it to the weekend games for the same reason many alums can't make it to the weeknight games. (Work, family, relationships, etc.)

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
I guess if the students don't wan't to be part of the gathering in CA that is fine. I can remember when my seats were in the nose bleed seats for the games. If they want to sit somewhere else in Hilton, that is fine too. I have sat behind the baskets and I think they are fine seats. If students don't want to go to the game because it is too cold to walk, can't catch a ride, need to study, have to work, not a big deal to me. I worked through college and wasn't able to go to every game. In fact, if people don't want to buy the new logo because change can be hard, that is fine too. I haven't exactly enjoyed some of our ketchup and mustard years either but I have supported my team by buying the clothing.

However, if people want things to stay the same as with previous ISU administrators, then I figure that is their right to be wrong. I would prefer people to attend the games of all the sporting events because they are excited about the future and will support their team, regardless......pew fillers, stay home(Need an example: Iowa MBB games). Pick a team that has a long history of success such as Texas, USC, Michigan, Oklahoma....There are a lot of teams out there that have had a lot more success and probably much easier to be a fan.

Go ISU!

Z

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
I actually know Mark personally and I will first and foremost say I do not agree with him.

I rarely ever pick up the daily anymore, unless I want to do the games in the back, it just isn't worth my time.

It isn't JP's fault students are showing up to the games, and it has nothing to do with money, because JP and the rest of the AD get paid regardless of whether students show up or not. It is about having a packed house all the way around and a loud atmosphere inside.

I am really embarrassed the student section looks like this right now and I wish I could come up with a solution to make it better immediately, but I can't. Talking about it like this certainly won't cure it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron