World’s largest steam locomotive trekking across Iowa,

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Any idea on when the train is supposed to go through Boone or Ogden? I might try to go up and see it but didn't want to sit forever waiting or just miss it.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Any idea on when the train is supposed to go through Boone or Ogden? I might try to go up and see it but didn't want to sit forever waiting or just miss it.
The Register article lists just these three Iowa towns for today:

Monday, July 15
Denison
Main Street Crossing

Arrival: 10:45 a.m.

Depart: 11:30 a.m.

Carroll
Old CNW Depot

407 W. 5th St.

Arrival: 12:15 p.m.

Depart: 12:30 p.m.

Boone
Industrial Park Road and Argo Street

Arrival: 3:15 p.m.

Depart: 8 a.m. (July 16)

Steam-powered locomotive, restored as traveling museum, to make stops across Iowa
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-transcontinental-railroads-150th/1714087001/

It appears the GPS tracking for "Big Boy" wasn't working out of the gate this morning. But you can follow along at their Twitter Stream. Some people posted where it was at their latest Tweet, which I copied below, as to progress. Click anywhere in the tweet below and it will take you there. You might also ask there yourself if you have a Twitter account. Even if you don't you might see people commenting on that tweet, that gives you a better idea where it is at in real time.

UP Steam, Twitter Stream
https://twitter.com/up_steam

Here are the Iowa towns the Register article lists for tomorrow:

Tuesday, July 16
Nevada
11th Street Crossing

Arrival: 9:15 a.m.

Depart: 9:30 a.m.

Iowa Falls
Rocksylvania Avenue Crossing

Arrival: 11:15 a.m.

Depart: Noon

Mason City
Ninth Street NW & N. Jackson Avenue

Arrival: 2 p.m.

Depart: 8 a.m. (July 17)

After that, it won't come back through Iowa until July 30, from Chicago, from the east. The Register article also lists the tentative Iowa stops for July 30 - August 2 (but I didn't copy them here).

• Informative
Reactions: ScottyP

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Also, a lot of opportunity to see it in Boone, as that is its scheduled overnight stop. Or maybe you time it such that you see it coming into town, before it stops, and then get a closer look.

Reactions: ScottyP

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
thanks for all of the updates and information. I tried to use the twitter tracker but it was down last I checked.

Reactions: Clone83

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I should be able to get off work on Friday Aug 2 and get to a place to get a few shots between Woodbine and Omaha. The trick is figuring out which track it will be on as there seems to be two possibilities. This weekend I'll have to try and check out a potential location

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
A new tweet, the first since early this morning

Maybe things are fixed and these will continue.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Click on the picture of the locomotive and it appears it does now show GPS location.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I wasn't too thrilled with my results today because I tried to bring up the shadows so the detail underneath could be seen better but it is a black machine on a very sunny day so I did the best I could. I had a great time, there were a couple retired railroad men from Illinois who were there in Ogden and I peppered these guys with questions for two hours till the train came by. It was so much fun listening to them tell stories about the old railroad days. I was in Ogden and then went to Boone for the latter photos.

Here are my images from today =

https://winterinkphotography.smugmug.com/RR/BigBoy20190715/

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I wasn't too thrilled with my results today because I tried to bring up the shadows so the detail underneath could be seen better but it is a black machine on a very sunny day so I did the best I could. I had a great time, there were a couple retired railroad men from Illinois who were there in Ogden and I peppered these guys with questions for two hours till the train came by. It was so much fun listening to them tell stories about the old railroad days. I was in Ogden and then went to Boone for the latter photos.

Looks like you did a fine job to me.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Clone83

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Big Boy is scheduled to leave Boone today at 8 AM, and to arrive in Nevada at about 9:15 and depart at 9:30. Watch the Twitter Stream and GPS map for its Ames arrival, assuming it is operational today when they depart from Boone.

The Council Bluffs Nonpareil has three photos of Big Boy crossing the Missouri River from Omaha to Council Bluffs, pretty decent
https://www.nonpareilonline.com/new...n_457c4f9a-a749-11e9-9798-9ff275aa5432.html#1

Council Bluffs was the eastern terminus of the transcontinental railroad and the home of General Grenville Dodge, the chief engineer of the Union Pacific. The Dodge House in Council Bluffs, as I recall, was designed by the same firm that designed Frederick Hubble’s house in Des Moines, Terrace Hill, which is now the governor’s mansion.

A photo of the Dodge House and link to their website:

upload_2019-7-16_7-8-36.jpeg

http://www.dodgehouse.org/

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
A late start out of Boone, relative to 8 AM, but it appeared their GPS was operational the whole time (showing as still/currently stopped in Boone).

Last edited:

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM

Very nice photos. I'm old enough to remember f7s and f9s, but not steam. Back then the entire train crew had to work hard. In fairly dangerous conditions. Glad to see the Big Boy is running without a helper. Was it burning coal?