Women's NCAA Tournament

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I wonder when the last time was that the state of Iowa has ZERO teams playing in the NCAA tournament? It has to have been at least 20 years unless I'm not remembering correctly. If no one else looks it up in the meantime, I'll try to find if/when the last time it happened later today or tomorrow.

I believe I saw the year 2003 in an article or tweet.

EDIT: 2003 is correct. No teams made it that year. The only years since then that we haven't gone are 2004 and 2006, and Iowa went both of those years.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Too bad the Gophers didn't get in and the Big 10's all-time leading score ends up in the NIT. Rachel Banham had 48 points in the Gophers NIT game last night. Might have to pop over to The Barn Sunday and watch them play.

The Gophers are not very good once you get past the two guards Banham and Wagner but they are fun to watch.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Pingeton had little to start at Missouri. She just beat out Fennelly and Bludder for a top 100 2017 recruit from Iowa. Don't underlay landing local elite talent. That's something that Bill hasn't been able to do.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I do not know if you can call Pingeton's success at Ill St spectacular - 2 NCAA appearances in 7 years. Also prior to this year she was 79-77 at Missouri through her first 5 years including 26-56 in the SEC. Katie has had much more success in the regular season albeit at a lower level. That being said she has never won an NCAA tournament game.

This is not an indictment on either of these two, they are both fine coaches, I just want to point out that they (other than Frese) have not proved to be Elite coaches.
A more in-depth look at Pingeton's run at Ill State would show that it was a rebuilding job after Hutchison retired after going 8-20 (4-14). Pingeton went 13-5, 13-5, 15-3, 16-2 in conference her last four years. Spectacular.

Last edited:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
wow...I didn't realize there was a WNIT.
that has to be a huge money maker.

It's been around since 1998. Iowa State made the WNIT final four in 2004, losing at home to UNLV in the semifinals. Had Iowa State made it to the finals, Hilton would have hosted that team as well, regardless of who it was. They wanted ISU to host as long as they were playing because they knew we'd have fans at the games.

runningcy

Oct 16, 2008
Ames
Loosing TT and Bry really hurt us down the stretch we had a lot of talent but things didn't fall together sad to see us sit at home with a 13-17 record :(

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
I do not know if you can call Pingeton's success at Ill St spectacular - 2 NCAA appearances in 7 years. Also prior to this year she was 79-77 at Missouri through her first 5 years including 26-56 in the SEC. Katie has had much more success in the regular season albeit at a lower level. That being said she has never won an NCAA tournament game.

This is not an indictment on either of these two, they are both fine coaches, I just want to point out that they (other than Frese) have not proved to be Elite coaches.

I'd have to agree with this. Like these coaches a lot, but a bit of an exaggeration to call them spectacular. Pingeton put together strong teams at Ill St and did things others had not. But still, spectacular means something different to me. Spectacular is Southwest Missouri State going to the Final Four.

Also, as someone noted, it's even a stretch to give Pingeton extra credit for recruiting, when the main connection is a relative that came and drew other players in. Terrific for Mizzou and would love to have something similar, but it's not the feat it appeared to be.

Last edited:

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
In WNIT action tonight --
Iowa lost at home to Ball State. They were down by double digits much of the game and close the gap to within 2 points in the final minute but still lost.

UNI won at Nebraska.

TCU won big.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
In WNIT action tonight --
Iowa lost at home to Ball State. They were down by double digits much of the game and close the gap to within 2 points in the final minute but still lost.

UNI won at Nebraska.

TCU won big.

the highlights from channel KCRG 9 CR were brief. No interviews with Frau Bluder nor players. John Campbell came out of retirement to cover fringe Hawkeye and high school events

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Pingeton had little to start at Missouri. She just beat out Fennelly and Bludder for a top 100 2017 recruit from Iowa. Don't underlay landing local elite talent. That's something that Bill hasn't been able to do.

Really? Meredith is elite Iowa talent and was the top rated prospect in the state. Jadda was Iowa's Player of the Year. Pop was all-state twice. How about Hal? Zimmerman was Miss Iowa basketball. Bolte was a high school All-American. The list goes on.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I am all for getting the best of state of Iowa recruits if there are some in a given year but you aren't going to build a perennial NCAA team on state of Iowa recruits. Iowa has a Miss Iowa on their roster but also a Miss Minnesota and a Miss Indiana (and calm down, I not saying they are a perennial NCAA team!). We aren't Drake playing in the Missouri Valley Conference. There are some good basketball players that can come out of Iowa but it isn't exactly a hotbed of Div I talent. The Twin Cities metro is going to produce way more Div I signees this year then the whole state of Iowa.

Anyone from the Iowa class of 2015 you would take over Carleton? Class of 2013 over Johnson? Granted the class of 2016 regionally was a total whiff and who knows about 2017 yet.

Last edited:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
This isn't "NCAA" news, but I wanted to put it in here in case people missed it (I nearly did). Iowa LOST their first round home WNIT game to Ball State, 77-72, ending their season at 19-14. A whole 2000 people showed up. Way to end with a THUD, Lisa. Congrats (to Ball State).

UNI won AT Nebraska and will play at Drake next since the Bulldogs also won last night.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Really? Meredith is elite Iowa talent and was the top rated prospect in the state. Jadda was Iowa's Player of the Year. Pop was all-state twice. How about Hal? Zimmerman was Miss Iowa basketball. Bolte was a high school All-American. The list goes on.

I was referring to the comment people made about it being easy to get a 5 star McDonald AA elite recruit because they are local. Not top 100 types.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
We have our first women's NCAA upset - 12 seed Albany (and Katie Abrahamson-Henderson) upset 5 seed Florida, 61-59, by outscoring the Gators 19-7 in the 4th quarter! Florida led 35-18 late in the 1st half, and 57-46 with under 8 minutes to play.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Unless we have a sugar daddy in love with WBB step up, it won't happen, but I'd love to see Brenda Frese come back to ISU when Bill hangs it up. BF is making a little over $500,000 while Brenda is raking down around a million $. Cost of living might make a little difference, but she may also be in a position where UConn comes calling when Geno calls it quits. I think his contract up in 2018, but he will only be 64. Unless state employees are required to retire there at 65, that may no happen either.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Unless we have a sugar daddy in love with WBB step up, it won't happen, but I'd love to see Brenda Frese come back to ISU when Bill hangs it up. BF is making a little over $500,000 while Brenda is raking down around a million $. Cost of living might make a little difference, but she may also be in a position where UConn comes calling when Geno calls it quits. I think his contract up in 2018, but he will only be 64. Unless state employees are required to retire there at 65, that may no happen either.

FYI, I can't imagine Brenda having any interest in ISU at any price unless she suddenly totally tanked at Maryland and was fired and that ain't happening. Her base salary isn't the highest, around $400k but with bonuses she mades close to $1M a couple years ago.

Only Cole and Mulkey in the Big 12 (assuming Kim but her salary is not reported by Baylor) make more than Bill. So we certainly aren't going on the cheap. Saved money this year on bonuses I guess. :(

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...cks-up-against-karen-aston-bill-fennelly-more

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
A couple upsets to note in the second day of 1st round games. 12 seed South Dakota State knocked off 5 seed Miami, 74-71. 10 seed Missouri beat 7 seed BYU, 78-69. In an 8-9 matchup, Indiana (9) won its first NCAA game since 1983 by beating Georgia.

A LOT of games were blow-outs. UCONN led Robert Morris 41-4 after 10 minutes. 8 first round games were decided by 30 points or more. The largest margin was 54, Kentucky over UNC-Asheville, 85-31.

UNI won their second round WNIT game in Cedar Falls against Drake, 64-58, picking up their 24th win of the season. They'll face the winner of Minnesota/South Dakota; site to be determined.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
This year I have near zero interest in the Women's Tourney. Too, too predictable despite a very few upsets.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
This year I have near zero interest in the Women's Tourney. Too, too predictable despite a very few upsets.

Nope, it's not much fun to watch when UCONN is all but guaranteed to win it all (again). :dull: Manages to be even less fun when ISU isn't in the field.