Misc: Wimbledon 2018

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Didn't see a thread about this. Serena Williams won today, and on Saturday she'll be playing for her eighth Wimbledon title. Really amazing, especially considering she's less than a year removed from giving birth and the health complications that followed. I know she's been pretty fortunate with seeding and upsets this year, but you still have to beat whoever is in front of you and she's done that.

On the men's side there's a potential classic shaping up in the semis tomorrow between Nadal and Djokovic. And John Isner is playing in the other semi. A win would make him the first Amercan to play in the final since Andy Roddick in 09. You'd have to go all the way back to 2000 to find the last American to actually win the men's title - Pete Sampras.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Go Isner.

Nadal and The Djoker match should be a good one.

I'll be honest; I'm just a casual tennis fan and typically only pay attention for the majors. Isner is known for a big serve and not much else, right? Is he just enjoying a timely hot streak?

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I'll be honest; I'm just a casual tennis fan and typically only pay attention for the majors. Isner is known for a big serve and not much else, right? Is he just enjoying a timely hot streak?

Isner has been a Top 15 type of player the past 4-5 years. Big serve. He usually makes a run in Majors, only to fall in the Quarters to the likes of Fed, Nadal, etc... This time around, he's pulling a K-State and missing out on big-time players to play. (Cilic and Dimitrov in his bracket got bounced early.) So yeah, he has taken advantage of the situation.

I believe he hasn't been broken this entire Wimbledon. He's ranked #9 in the world right now as well. Huge break for him as Anderson beat Federer. Much better chance at getting to the final.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/sports/john-isner-wimbledon.html

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Nice. It's on my bucket list for sporting events. Someday I'd like to do a Europe trip and hit London for Wimbledon and Paris for the final day of the Tour de France.
My mom is a huge tennis fan and had always wanted to go. The year we went ended up being the rainiest in history to that point (just my luck). Was the first year they'd ever played on the middle Sunday. Back then, security wasn't as tight and you could stand right at the player entrance as they arrived. Saw Lendl, McEnroe, Edberg, Connors, Graf, Courier, Capriati and Martina up close. Saw Agassi's first match back at Wimbledon after a multi-year hiatus protesting their all-white clothing policy. Was pretty awesome and London is a cool city.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
My mom is a huge tennis fan and had always wanted to go. The year we went ended up being the rainiest in history to that point (just my luck). Was the first year they'd ever played on the middle Sunday. Back then, security wasn't as tight and you could stand right at the player entrance as they arrived. Saw Lendl, McEnroe, Edberg, Connors, Graf, Courier, Capriati and Martina up close. Saw Agassi's first match back at Wimbledon after a multi-year hiatus protesting their all-white clothing policy. Was pretty awesome and London is a cool city.

Yeah, things have changed quite a bit since then. This is sort of off topic, but around the same time (Fall 91, I think) my dad took the whole family to Indianapolis for the Colts season opener (he's a huge Colts fan for reason that are unclear, because they weren't very good for a long time...but I digress). The Saturday before the game we found ourselves on what amounted to an unguided tour of the team facility during the team's walk through. A PR staffer met us coming in the front door and pretty much turned us loose. I have pictures of me just hanging out on the practice field shooting the **** with Jeff George and Bill Brooks and getting autographs. Later on my brother and I were just strolling down the hallway and walked right by the head coach. So we chased him down and got an autograph out of him, too. Ted Marchibroda was a hell of a nice guy.

I can't imagine that happening in the modern NFL. I know, I know...cool story, bro.

Reactions: ruxCYtable

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
John Isner is slowly taking years off my life. Imagining Nadal and Djoke waiting and waiting. Definitely rooting for winner of first semifinal but I really want it to be Isner.