Wills, Estate Planning Advice needed

jamesfnb

Apr 9, 2006
I am married with two young children and have yet to create a will. Should I go to an attorney or use a software package? Any recommendations for attorneys in the Des Moines area, preferrably Ankeny?

SlyCy

Apr 17, 2006
North Liberty, Iowa
My brother in law did ours as he is lawyer, but I would highly recommend using a lawyer. There are lot of ways you can write it and it helps to have the advice of lawyer (i.e. language used to include future children, etc.) to get the correct language.

Also, if you have quircky things about your family and have concerns with certain family members (see Uncle Kyle and his alcohol issues) and the care of your kids in your absence it helps to have lawyer to skirt some future issues.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I am married with two young children and have yet to create a will. Should I go to an attorney or use a software package? Any recommendations for attorneys in the Des Moines area, preferrably Ankeny?
hit my inbox and I can answer questions

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I send you guys a PM of a very knowledable CPA when it comes to estate and succession planning.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
My brother in law did ours as he is lawyer, but I would highly recommend using a lawyer. There are lot of ways you can write it and it helps to have the advice of lawyer (i.e. language used to include future children, etc.) to get the correct language.

Also, if you have quircky things about your family and have concerns with certain family members (see Uncle Kyle and his alcohol issues) and the care of your kids in your absence it helps to have lawyer to skirt some future issues.

I prefer to use a CPA due to tax estate planning, but of course I am biased, lol.

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
I'm currently in law school and I took Wills & Trusts last spring. It's amazing how much estate planning law can vary from state to state. I would HIGHLY recommend you find a competent attorney with a high amount of experience practicing in Iowa. I couldn't believe how much a small alteration to a will could completely change how the assets would be distributed.

gardner

Mar 19, 2006
I'm an estate planning attorney in Urbandale, but more importantly a die hard cardinal 'n gold fan. I'd be glad to help out.

While CPA's can and should assist with estate planning when it comes to succession and tax planning issues, they are not able to draft the documents.

Estate planning software is OK, but there are a lot of things which are not explained very well, along with a few other unique items for Iowa.

I try to make the process fairly smooth as I know it can be hard to get time off from work, etc. Let me know.

clonefarmer

Apr 16, 2006
I'd get a lawyer, but don't be afraid to inquire about his fee for a simple will. Sometimes you can pay for a lot more than you get. My lawyer is a partner in a mid-sized firm in downtown Des Moines, yet he does all of our work very reasonably, I think. Now, if I could just find a dentist who didn't charge ridiculous prices.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm an estate planning attorney in Urbandale, but more importantly a die hard cardinal 'n gold fan. I'd be glad to help out.

While CPA's can and should assist with estate planning when it comes to succession and tax planning issues, they are not able to draft the documents.

Estate planning software is OK, but there are a lot of things which are not explained very well, along with a few other unique items for Iowa.

I try to make the process fairly smooth as I know it can be hard to get time off from work, etc. Let me know.

True and we have a partner at my firm who is both an Attorney and a CPA. (Denman & Company, LLP)