Williams and Blum interview The Athletic’s Stewart Mandel

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The guy admitted it too. He said he was impressed that Blum was throwing stats without a note card and had to pull up his own tables to fact check his own article. Show's you how much time he really thought about his biased stat article.

That was a nice moment. Mandel was like, "whoa dude you're bringing data to this discussion?" and basically backed off his argument afterward. Definitely got the impression he was just throwing stuff out there for clicks then. A guy's gotta eat.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Laughed when Stu used the Pac chose not to expand to prove we have no value.

Would of been awesome if Chris asked, do you mind if we take a few calls?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
We really don’t. Thought it would be useful to attempt to voice the Iowa State side of things to someone with a national platform. Simple as that.

Good interview, I was glad I listened. Didn’t sound like Stewart was really persuaded but also didn’t sound like he sees his role as trying to shape CFB in a healthy way. It was illuminating when the most excited he got was imagining Oklahoma-Alabama and Oklahoma-LSU conference games. I think that’s a missed opportunity for his platform but I still appreciate that he came on to talk about it. And that you came prepared!

Reactions: nrg4isu

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Interesting that CF is quick to condemn others who get butt hurt over perceived transgressions yet are quick with pitchforks when the "national" media don't self flagellate themselves over the greatness of ISU.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Interesting that CF is quick to condemn others who get butt hurt over perceived transgressions yet are quick with pitchforks when the "national" media don't self flagellate themselves over the greatness of ISU.
the-office-steve-carell.gif

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Good interview, I was glad I listened. Didn’t sound like Stewart was really persuaded but also didn’t sound like he sees his role as trying to shape CFB in a healthy way. It was illuminating when the most excited he got was imagining Oklahoma-Alabama and Oklahoma-LSU conference games. I think that’s a missed opportunity for his platform but I still appreciate that he came on to talk about it. And that you came prepared!
I think that many sports writers are uniquely unequipped to think past their love of big games and story lines and see the big picture. Having multiple friends/acquaintances who are sports reporters (no one who has any inside scoops unfortunately), a common thread between them is that they are least common denominator sports fans of the highest degree. They are like the stereotypical sports fan, only more so. They love a lazy narratives because they love all narratives. They consume all sports, so they don’t have the time/want to look at anything but the biggest headlines and brands, unless it’s their job. They simply trust the narratives commonly held by like-minded peers. Plus they chose sports writing as their careers—knowing or possibly ignoring what a struggle that life is—which is evidence they may not be big picture people to begin with. I realize there are PLENTY of non-sports writers who share these traits, but these are basically pre-requisites of the profession, in my experience. Like any other profession, it’s self-selecting to a lack of intellectual diversity.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
That was a nice moment. Mandel was like, "whoa dude you're bringing data to this discussion?" and basically backed off his argument afterward. Definitely got the impression he was just throwing stuff out there for clicks then. A guy's gotta eat.

He can eat a b.o.d.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I don't think anyone has said the remaining 8 are worthless. How weren't they riding the coat tails of OU/TX? Is Vanderbilt as valuable as Alabama? Is Rutgers as valuable as Ohio State? Hell no, but Ohio State and Alabama are willing to dance and our dance partners are dancing with somebody else. We will not provide more than we take from Purdue, Minnesota, Oregon State, Washington State, etc. so why would they want to put themselves in a potentially worse spot by adding someone who takes more from them? It's a harsh reality but we're looking down upon the UCFs/USFs/Houstons/Memphis/etc...why is this any different besides is being the ones getting crapped on?

Does the Big 10 make bad business decisions just to spite themselves? Or the Pac 12?

Most arguments you can cherry pick statistics to fit your narrative.