Why is Mizzou some sort of "tv powerhouse"?

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
Re: According to this, they are #10 college FB market

ok, I'll bite

Columbia-Jefferson City, Missouri (68.1%), home of the University of Missouri Tigers.

That article mentions nothing of StL or KC, which leads me to believe that this doesn't hold for those markets (whereas the article calls out Omaha, instead of Lincoln).

Both KC and StL are big MU markets. True, the numbers are obviously better in Columbia. They've picked up a lot of followers with Pinkel's success and his recruiting focus in those two cities.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
One thing I have yet to see addressed is why we assume that just because there are tv's in a region, that those TV's will watch the product?

University of Illinois-Chicago brings a LOT of TV sets, but I don't see any SEC invitation there.

Icky_Mettle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Ames
One thing I have yet to see addressed is why we assume that just because there are tv's in a region, that those TV's will watch the product?

University of Illinois-Chicago brings a LOT of TV sets, but I don't see any SEC invitation there.

Yeah, it's amazing that the SEC hasn't invited a University that doesn't have a football program. It would be amazing to see Alabama come to Chicago and play nobody.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
Yeah I agree with everyone saying Mizzou is definitely the top dog in the state. You have KC, who is split down the middle between KU and MU, but I think MU beats KU by a small margin. KSU is exactly like us, people want to forget about the little ag school is in "cow town USA". I don't really know about STL because it's on the "other side", but you also can't forget about Springfield. One of the fastest growing areas in the state and I believe is about the same size as Des Moines. According to the article in the NY Times, MU would bring in 1.5 mil. And let's not forget about their academics, would look good for the SEC.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
I'm not getting it, does having Mizzou really grab that many tv sets in St. Louis and KC?

Both have NFL teams that should detract from the "random" fanbase....

I'm not getting it.:skeptical:

This is a good and important question that has not been completely addressed. That NYT article that is circulating is really the first objective attempt that I've seen on this. We need more evaluation, before people write off schools like Iowa State as being less financially beneficial than Missouri or Oklahoma State.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron