Why is aTm ranked?

IOWASTATE

Oct 29, 2007
Ames
I'm not bashing on aTm here, they do have a couple quality wins and they certainly had a solid start to the year, but it seems like they just squeak out a good enough win here and there to be considered. I just dont think they are good enough to keep being ranked week after week thats all.

Logicalfan

Feb 16, 2008
Yeah, the OSU loss at home was a killer. I think that they are like us, spotty guard play. Law was a stud, and a winner, you can't just replace that. They have more talent than we do (at this time), and I think that Turgeon is a good coach (although he left Wichita St awful this year) so they will stay competitive 3-5 in the conference every year, and that is an NCAA bid.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Yeah, the OSU loss at home was a killer. I think that they are like us, spotty guard play. Law was a stud, and a winner, you can't just replace that. They have more talent than we do (at this time), and I think that Turgeon is a good coach (although he left Wichita St awful this year) so they will stay competitive 3-5 in the conference every year, and that is an NCAA bid.

Doesnt McD have a winning record vs. him? He walked into a much better situation that McD did. DJA is putting on a show tonight.

BD4CY

Sep 22, 2007
I think the aTm situation is a classic example of how important guards are in college basketball, especially as the season wears down.

Logicalfan

Feb 16, 2008
Doesnt McD have a winning record vs. him? He walked into a much better situation that McD did. DJA is putting on a show tonight.

Yes, he does, I believe that he was essentially even with coaches Lowery, Hinson. Les is ahead of him, I can't remember what he did against Moser who was at Ill. St. They lost a lot of close ones to Indiana St. But he did beat the guy from Evansville (the coach from Hampton). The one guy that he could never beat was Altman.

Actually, it was the win over Wichita St, there, that got UNI that second NCAA bid. They went the length of the floor, and Jacobsen made a three at the buzzer. Of course in all fairness, Turgeon has taken a team to the Sweet 16, losing to George Mason during their magical run a couple years ago.

Abrams needed to break out of his slump, I think he followed that game up here with like 4-17 against Kansas. Good for him, and necessary for UT if they are going to do anything in March.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
They're ranked partly because the last two years they tore it up. Think about it, we always seemed to be 24, 25 at preseason poll just because we did well the year before...then we quickly drop.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
As is always the case...credit is given for what teams have done in the recent past (prior year) so they started out relatively high in the polls before game one was played. I think they also, supposedly, had a pretty good recruiting class coming in. That is the genesis of the ranking which was theirs to lose...and they have done it.

I think Turgeon is also learning what it is like to coach "big boy" basketball in a "big boy" conference...this ain't the MVC anymore!

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX
It's a lot like jumping out of a plane without a parachute (or a point guard in this case), you're still in the air until you hit the gound.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Why are there 4 big ten teams ahead of them? That might be the better question.