Why exactly do you think this team can’t clean up the mental mistakes? What is the coaching staff doing that’s failing?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
What do you all think it is? Because it stumps me.

This staff has given off an impression that they put in all of their focus on winning in the margins and avoiding mental mistakes. Yet these errors are getting worse by the season.

What’s failing here? You can say it’s due to Manning/Myers and I don’t disagree they’re a big part of the problem. But is that all of our issues? Because mistakes seem to be scattered amongst everyone.

It almost feels like this team plays constantly nervous. Like it’s trying way too hard to not make a mistake.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I hate to say it but it's starting to look like it starts at the top.

People say things like it's gut check time for players. Well, I think it's gut check time for ISU coaches.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
I hate to say it but it's starting to look like it starts at the top.
I mean it could be part it. But why exactly is he failing? What about his approach is leading to these issues?

Maybe having a meltdown every other week in front of your team gets noticed after a while. If you as the coach can’t keep composed, why would your players maintain composure?

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I mean it could be part it. But why exactly is he failing? What about his approach is leading to these issues?

Maybe having a meltdown every other week in front of your team gets noticed after a while. If you as the coach can’t keep composed, why would your players maintain composure?
That's pretty much exactly the words TJ used when talking about getting technical fouls on purpose in an interview recently

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They might as well have 'Ready, set, go' as their cadence on offense because what they use creates penalties.

Obviously kidding but the fact that we can rely on at least one offsides in a crucial situation per game isn't right.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009

Yup. We're hypocritical too. We rag on Fran all the time, but look at the antics of our last 2 football coaches.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yup. We're hypocritical too. We rag on Fran all the time, but look at the antics of our last 2 football coaches.

I mean he's not practically assaulting officials and grooming his players to behave the same way.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Needs more discipline implemented and be less of a player's coach but that would hurt recruiting.

Last edited:

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
I don’t think the freaking out helps with keeping the players composed.

I honestly can’t understand why the special teams gaffes can’t be fixed. Some other teams have it figured out and we don’t. It’s a way for us to get an edge without needing 5 star talent.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Football is too different styles within its self. People say football is emotional, and I 100% agree that it is…………..on defense. You play with your hair unfire and p’d off. You bring hits and getting mad works.

Play emotional on offense, and it will cost you. You have to keep them in check somewhat (olineman run blocking can use emotional play and be okay is the outlier) your emotions in check and follow the plan. A ticked off receiver may cut sloppy, lose concentration or be running mad that will alter his timing. A back may look for contact when they usually don’t or not read holes right. QBs can try to force things or lose focus when playing emotionally.

I love having Campbell as our coach, but I think he probably needs to be a calmer presence in the sidelines to help the offense. Heacock can handle the D, he has them clicking and doing well so let him be and have Matt focus more on improving the offense if Manning is going to be in the booth.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Yeah, this is what's frustrating me about Campbell. He preaches "winning in the margins, and doing the little things" but then it's the complete opposite on game day. We should have smoked Iowa but we kept them in the game with all the dumb mistakes.

Lineup

Jan 7, 2017
I don’t think the freaking out helps with keeping the players composed.

I honestly can’t understand why the special teams gaffes can’t be fixed. Some other teams have it figured out and we don’t. It’s a way for us to get an edge without needing 5 star talent.
it's simple terrible coaching

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm and nickcyv

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
It's impossible to know without being at practice and even then I'm not an expert. But it sure feels like Iowa State places more emphasis on player development and less on advance scouting/game planning than other schools.

I think Campbell is very much of the if you execute well the opposing team's scheme doesn't matter philosophy. And I do think the tackling, blocking leverage, footwork, play timing are very good. But I'd love to know how often ISU doesn't double teams the opponent's best pass rusher or throws at their best corner compared to others. And a lot of the miscues feel like missed reads with wrong routes or completely whiffed blocks rather than getting beat at the point of attack.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's impossible to know without being at practice and even then I'm not an expert. But it sure feels like Iowa State places more emphasis on player development and less on advance scouting/game planning than other schools.

I think Campbell is very much of the if you execute well the opposing team's scheme doesn't matter philosophy. And I do think the tackling, blocking leverage, footwork, play timing are very good. But I'd love to know how often ISU doesn't double teams the opponent's best pass rusher or throws at their best corner compared to others. And a lot of the miscues feel like missed reads with wrong routes or completely whiffed blocks rather than getting beat at the point of attack.

I'm not seeing this.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I'm not seeing this.
Same. Twice I saw someone on the oline square up with someone and then bail on the block to double team another dude, giving the first dude a free run at the QB.

Ill admit Im not a oline guy but giving up free rushers on purpose when you're not doing a screen pass or something seems like its just bad all around

• Winner
Reactions: Lineup