Who Likes History?

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
How many old timers remember this (I was born in the early 70's so I don't). On Wednesday we were working on a building in Slater. We got into the atic and found this old bottle. It is says Drink ABC Beverages. Which ABC is Ames Bottling Company. The date on the bottle itself was 1952. So I did a quick google search and found this picture of the Ames Bottling Company at the corner of Kellogg and Lincoln Way. The ABC building is the 2 story builfing on the left. You can also see the old Mobilegas Service Station (next to Burger King) both of these buildings are still there. I found it pretty cool.

P4110001.jpg

P4110002.jpg

P4110000.jpg

The northeast corner of Lincoln Way and Kellogg, looking west along Lincoln Way. Photo was probably taken around 1961. The Mobilgas service station on the corner operated as a Mobil station until 1970. Across the street from the station, at 105 Kellogg Avenue, was the Ames Dr. Pepper Bottling Company which occupied the small, two-story brick building seen in the center left of this photograph.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
That service station became Beacon Electronics...(I know you know that redrocker, but just stating that because that will help place the photo for a lot of people).
The bottling company is now an electronics supply store, isn't it??

Do you know who Farwell Brown is?? He is an Ames historian who worked for the DOT and a few years ago they put his collection of photos and other stuff in the Ames Public Library. It's worth the visit!!

mkcrawford

Mar 20, 2006
Good stuff redrocker. When Ames did there Main Street Rehab project in '99, I was a project inspector for the City. During the project, we found a few buried items. One item that we found was a full box of condoms. :wideeyed: Ironically they were found in front of the Maternity Clothing Store. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
To bad that company did not take off. We coul dhave one of the biggest boosters in the nation.

Help Support Us

Become a patron